Humorous Signs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Humorous Signs

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My wife and I like to stop at a Chinese buffet that is close to the interstate highway in Greenfiled, Indiana. Every time we visit this restaurant, we are amused by the large sign near the entrance. The sign reads:
Not Only Cuisine, But Also Clean
The buffet is quite elaborate, and the food is tasty, although during our last visit neither of the two waitresses that we asked had any idea what we were talking about when we asked for "hot mustard sauce" for the spring roll. You would think that that would be a common request.

Here's more humorous roadside signs:
http://www.vtpi.org/signs.pdf
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

There's a saying that many Chinese adhere to: If the restaurant is clean, who is paying attention to the cooking? Makes you start to appreciate some of our cultural differences.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

One of my favorite road-side signs (outside a tattoo parlor on Alcoa Highway between Knoxville and Alcoa, TN):
TATTOOS WHILE YOU WAIT
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

jsluder wrote:One of my favorite road-side signs (outside a tattoo parlor on Alcoa Highway between Knoxville and Alcoa, TN):
TATTOOS WHILE YOU WAIT
I never was a fan of "Tattoos on-the-go". Speaking of tattoos, however, at a family gathering recently a man was showing off his new tattoo. He had a picture of his mother and father, obviously taken from a photograph, tattooed across his chest. The same 35 year-old man still lives with his mom and dad, although he has a good-paying job and could easily afford to live independently. If I was his old man, I think I would be pointing toward the door, not only for my sanity but for my son's own good. I would ask him to spend some of his money on rent rather than have him live at home and buy expensive sports memorabilia with his income. Would that be too harsh?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Speaking of tattoos, however, at a family gathering recently a man was showing off his new tattoo. He had a picture of his mother and father, obviously taken from a photograph, tattooed across his chest. The same 35 year-old man still lives with his mom and dad, although he has a good-paying job and could easily afford to live independently.
That's just creepy.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Working-class bars in Montreal go by the term of brasserie; in english that would translate as tavern or (in small-town of english Canada) the "hoTEL", accent on the second syllable.

For reasons that remain mysterious, these most of the real old brasseries had a couple of neon signs that I always found odd.

The first said Bienvenue aux Dames, meaning 'women are welcome" (a bald-faced lie!) and the other proudly boasted Verres Stérilisée, 'sterilized glasses'. God knows what dreadful outbreak made this sign necessary; it could be anything from TB to legionaires' disease to dysentry.

Yuck.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm

Post by djm »

It wasn't that long ago that bars/taverns wouldn't allow women in, and those that did had a separate area for them with its own entrance for, "Ladies and Escourts". I still remember these places, but they were considered pretty much of an anachronism, and were in their last days. Welcoming women was a way of saying, "Oh, look how modern we are. We even allow broads in here." :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

In Duluth Minnesota, I remember as a child, that some streets were painted with the words...

STOP
A
HEAD
IN
THE ROAD.

... as one approached a stop sign.

And yes, "A" was separate from "HEAD".
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
jsluder wrote:One of my favorite road-side signs (outside a tattoo parlor on Alcoa Highway between Knoxville and Alcoa, TN):
TATTOOS WHILE YOU WAIT
I never was a fan of "Tattoos on-the-go". Speaking of tattoos, however, at a family gathering recently a man was showing off his new tattoo. He had a picture of his mother and father, obviously taken from a photograph, tattooed across his chest. The same 35 year-old man still lives with his mom and dad, although he has a good-paying job and could easily afford to live independently. If I was his old man, I think I would be pointing toward the door, not only for my sanity but for my son's own good. I would ask him to spend some of his money on rent rather than have him live at home and buy expensive sports memorabilia with his income. Would that be too harsh?
Maybe their basement is in danger of floating away and they need their son to keep things on the ground. Maybe the parents are in dreadful need of an observer to keep their lives together. Maybe he supplies them with pot and they're holding him captive.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Not exactly humorous, more Zen-like I guess, but I like this sign:

fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Just took this picture this past weekend (def. not a chop - look at the reflection in the car)

___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

There's a sign on a tree in a wooded section of the highway median strip on my ride to work:

JESUS
SAVES

Not all that unusual ....

But a few hundred yards down the strip, there's another sign reading:

MOSES TAKES
THE REBOUND
AND SCORES!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

fyffer wrote:There's a sign on a tree in a wooded section of the highway median strip on my ride to work:

JESUS
SAVES

Not all that unusual ....

But a few hundred yards down the strip, there's another sign reading:

MOSES TAKES
THE REBOUND
AND SCORES!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I saw one on a grain/bean elevator once that said "Happiness is a Crock of Beans." That made me smile.

This is also worth checking out. Not real, but good for a chuckle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kt/sets/72057594061455054/

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Here are some more from my trip to Ireland in 2005.
This first one I interpreted to mean, "Lightning Ahead":

This one, I interpreted to mean, "Caution: Cars driving off cliff ahead":

And, with a little help from MSpaint, an unusual place for the above sign: