Hot Stuff™

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Hot Stuff™

Post by dwest »

I just made an unpleasant discovery in my cabinet where I store my glues. A newly purchased bottle of Hot Stuff™ cyanoacrylate thin formula burst. More precisely the two side seams in the bottle split spilling the contents on the shelf of the cabinet and in the process gluing down two bottle of Gorilla glue, four bottles of various Titebond, two sets of micro screwdrivers, a bottle of oil for nail guns, several packages of hot melt glue sticks, two bottles of fishing rod epoxy, can of pvc solvent, can of acrylic solvent thin formula, tube of acrylic solvent gel formula, two mini-pumps for WEST SYSTEM® Epoxy. While it is somewhat humorous, how the heck am I going to get all these bottles of glue...unglued?
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'd start with acetone.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Most cyanoacrylate glues tell you on the packaging to store them in the fridge. I guess now you know why.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Storing hot stuff in the fridge IS counter-intuitive.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

You can buy CA Debonder in bulk.

Turbo De-Bonder has been designed as a fast acting debonder for cyanoacrylates. Turbo De-bonder is fast acting, safe and very effective.

Safety dissolves cured cyanoacrylates. Turbo-Debonder can be used on skin.

Turbo De-Bonder can be sprayed on, or used with brush application.

http://www.palmlabsadhesives.com/cyanoa ... bonder.htm
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
djm

Post by djm »

Never heard of that stuff before. Cool! :thumbsup:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MagicSailor

Re: Hot Stuff™

Post by MagicSailor »

dwest wrote:I just made an unpleasant discovery in my cabinet where I store my glues. A newly purchased bottle of Hot Stuff™ cyanoacrylate thin formula burst. More precisely the two side seams in the bottle split spilling the contents on the shelf of the cabinet and in the process gluing down two bottle of Gorilla glue, four bottles of various Titebond, two sets of micro screwdrivers, a bottle of oil for nail guns, several packages of hot melt glue sticks, two bottles of fishing rod epoxy, can of pvc solvent, can of acrylic solvent thin formula, tube of acrylic solvent gel formula, two mini-pumps for WEST SYSTEM® Epoxy. While it is somewhat humorous, how the heck am I going to get all these bottles of glue...unglued?
Half of them you can probably just yank off. Glue is normally shipped in bottles made of the kind of plastic that nothing sticks to. I.e. the kind of plastic the Hot Stuff bottle is made of. While I'm not familiar with that particular brand name, I have used cyano glue debonder in the past and it worked fine. There is also something we used to call kicker which makes the cyano glue set in a split second. Useful for anything you'd prefer not to have to hold for 10-20 seconds.

Edited: This is all from back in my model aircraft crashing days, but I still find cyano glue very handy for all sorts of little jobs. The kicker came in a little bottle with a squirt nossle.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I think you should just leave it be and call it art. :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Wow. That's what I call an ironic problem.

Did you know that superglue is a standard item in the first-aid kit of many big wall climbers? Cut your hand? Can't quit climbing? No worries. Squirt a little superglue in the cut, squeeze it together, and get back on the rock. I am not making this up.

I for one would be a little reluctant squirting anything into my bloodstream that contains the prefix "cyano-," but they say it works great.

OK, back to helpful suggestions on dwest's problem.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
dwest

Post by dwest »

WyoBadger wrote:Wow. That's what I call an ironic problem.

Did you know that superglue is a standard item in the first-aid kit of many big wall climbers? Cut your hand? Can't quit climbing? No worries. Squirt a little superglue in the cut, squeeze it together, and get back on the rock. I am not making this up.
I have lived by it for years. I carry a small bottle of nexcare with me all the time, in my pocket next to my Victorinox :lol:
Aanvil, thanks for the site I'll get some. I can't really put too much pressure on the tube of acrylic solvent.
I do usually keep my hot stuff in the freezer if I am not going to use it right away but I purchased this bottle last Tuesday.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

WyoBadger wrote:I for one would be a little reluctant squirting anything into my bloodstream that contains the prefix "cyano-," but they say it works great.
See if this doesn't convince you: CLICKY . 8)
Cotelette d'Agneau
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Lambchop wrote:I think you should just leave it be and call it art. :)
Ha Ha!!! I had EXACTLY those words in mind, and was just scrolling down to find the bottom of the thread! :lol: I think all of our minds are starting to meld! :boggle:
Denny

Post by Denny »

I just thought that it was Jack's fault....
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

dwest wrote:I have lived by it for years. I carry a small bottle of nexcare with me all the time, in my pocket next to my Victorinox :lol:
Wouldn't you feel dumb if that bottle burst in your pocket and bonded your knick to your knacks? :boggle:

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

WyoBadger wrote:Did you know that superglue is a standard item in the first-aid kit of many big wall climbers? Cut your hand? Can't quit climbing? No worries. Squirt a little superglue in the cut, squeeze it together, and get back on the rock. I am not making this up.
I carry New Skin or Liquid Bandage in my music kit, mostly for guitar. Fingertips getting too raw? Cut a fretting finger while changing strings? Slice your picking hand while damping too vigorously? It dries quickly, works fine, smells like cloves, and has rescued a few gigs from near-disaster. The medical grade stuff doesn't break down into toxic components like straight CA.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.