devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

devondancer update

Post by devondancer »

Not too good a day for Lesley. We hoped that she would be moved from ICU to High Dependency today, but when I got there at lunchtime she was still in her old place in ICU. Her surgeon bumped into me as I went in and said that they had done a lot of tests this morning and they are not happy with her ability to move, or rather her lack of it. The doc had not told her this but I reminded him that she is a nurse and not stupid: she would have known precisely what they were doing, and would prefer to be told. Also, her pain levels are high, which is apparently making her heart flutter again. She is closely monitored.

When I saw her she had obviously been crying but the stiff upper lip was firmly back in place. I know how she wants to leave ICU, and that and the pain must be hard to take. If only they could give her pain killers, but she has such severe reactions to almost all of them that they don't want to risk it. Anyway, we (or I) carried on as usual - jokes, music: she loved the waltz, Steve, and was working out the notation in her head. She didn't tell me the doc's worries - still protecting me - and I didn't mention them because she would worry because I was worrying! What a mess.

She was very tired, but when I was getting ready to go she asked me to get some things out of her bag and put them near her. They were the whistle with the mute, her very new Busman whistle, and I had taken in one made by a friend of hers for her to evaluate, so that was there too. She wanted them beside her, on the table within reach, and I was to tell the nurses not to move them. This incredible wife of mine has not given up: she will be after those whistles all night! And if willpower can get them for her, she'll get them. I hope she can, or it will break her heart.

We are both finding this very hard at present and are just so grateful for all your kind messages and thoughts. And it is such a help to me to be able to get rid of all this "unmanly" emotion here in private, but with comforting friends who don't actually know me! Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Roland (mr devondancer)
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Our thoughts remain with her, and with you.

And there is nothing unmanly about being emotional where the ones you love are concerned. No worries there.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Any way you can post a photo of the two of you (if you care to, of course)? I'd love to see smiling faces!

Susan
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

Thanks for keeping us updated. I wish there was more that I could do. I will continue praying for you both.
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
tansy

Post by tansy »

I'm still there with you both.
There is nothing unmanly about your feelings and thoughts, you are with the woman you love and you are feeling her suffer so, that is as manly as it gets.
All the best to you both, Tansy
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Still holding you two in my heart, Roland. I check several times a day to see how Lesley is doing. To us, you're family. You might not know us, but we surely know Lesley and, by extension, you.
Cotelette d'Agneau
ketida

Post by ketida »

Well, I can't really say I know either of you, but I am moved by your love and devotion to each other, the healing power of that love and devotion, and to the healing power of music.

Hang in there.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Many of us, not just the ones posting , are continuing to keep you both in our prayers.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Are there any alternative pain relief methods available to you there? Acupuncture comes to mind. I also wonder if there is the possibility of trying guided meditation or even hypnotism, given that standard medicinal methods are not going to working for her. She needs relief, and there is good evidence that these alternatives can help. The meditation and hypnotism aren't physically invasive at all, and the acupuncture is minimally so ... acupressure even. Gad but I wish I could be there to tell her dreadful jokes and play badly to distract her. :)

My prayers are still focused her way... yours too.

Courage, strength and new hope to you both!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

cowtime wrote:Many of us, not just the ones posting , are continuing to keep you both in our prayers.
It's the first thing I look for when I open up the forum.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)