Ties to West Virginia?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ties to West Virginia?

Post by mutepointe »

There are so many of us now with ties to West Virginia. I'd like to get a head count. Please sign in if you are a native, previous or current resident, or married to any of the above. If your ties to WV are convoluted, please explain. If you just want to be a West Virginia, just get in line like everyone else.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Um...well, my granddaddy and grandma raised my dad in the same area of southwest Virginia where cowtime now resides, but they had quite a few coal-interest holdings in West Virginia. I don't know if that counts, but once they took me on a tour of the Pocahontas coal mine.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Did my hospital internship in Charleston, 1981-1982. Lived in a nice little apartment on Wyoming Street. Had a wonderful year. Loved WV but have not been back, sad to say.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Dale wrote:Did my hospital internship in Charleston, 1981-1982. Lived in a nice little apartment on Wyoming Street. Had a wonderful year. Loved WV but have not been back, sad to say.
Don't go back. With all the economic depression, young people leaving, and rampant drug problems, Charleston has become something of a third world city in a lot of ways. West Virginia as a whole is in need of some kind of help, though I couldn't begin to say what kind. Somebody needs to begin to say what kind.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I'm a social worker, WV is the land of opportunity for social workers.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

For better or worse, I was born and bred in West Virginia. As I have talked about with Walden, West Virginia is on or near the bottom of the list of poorest states (meaning it's super poor) and also curiously on the list of states with the fewest higher-educated people. West Virginia is the ONLY state or province entirely within Appalachia, and it is often overlooked because the poor there are mostly white, rural, and not a gay black hispanic lesbian kind of audience (i.e. one whose cause it's politically correct to work on behalf of).
scheky

Post by scheky »

My Sister lives in WV now, but since she moved there, she wasn't required to marry in the family (some sort of grandfather clause).

Sorry, being from SW PA, picking on WV is really the only fun we get...well, that and Cleveland.
Jack

Post by Jack »

mutepointe wrote:I'm a social worker, WV is the land of opportunity for social workers.
Sadly, I have to say I agree ten million percent.
Jack

Post by Jack »

mutepointe wrote:I'm a social worker, WV is the land of opportunity for social workers.
When I was a kid, my social worker ended up being one of my dad's clients. My dad lead a drug ring.
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I used to have a cassette of Boots Randolph playing "Take Me Home, Country Roads." It was an instrumental, but I think that the lyrics of the song made mention of West Virginia. That's my connection.
Reasonable person
Walden
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

scheky wrote:
Sorry, being from SW PA, picking on WV is really the only fun we get...well, that and Cleveland.
I spent a year in Cleveland one week.
:D
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My mother-in-law lived in WV when I got married. She had a farm down in a holler at the end of many miles of dirt road. Complete with a gas well (no mineral rights). It was a breathtakingly beautiful place.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Walden wrote:I used to have a cassette of Boots Randolph playing "Take Me Home, Country Roads." It was an instrumental, but I think that the lyrics of the song made mention of West Virginia. That's my connection.
Oh ya?

Well... I live in the West and I once knew a gal named Virgina.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jack

Post by Jack »

chas wrote:My mother-in-law lived in WV when I got married. She had a farm down in a holler at the end of many miles of dirt road. Complete with a gas well (no mineral rights). It was a breathtakingly beautiful place.
I been there.