chicken and dumplings

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

chicken and dumplings

Post by Wanderer »

I often post pictures and recipes of my fancier cooking...so, here's something a little more down to earth.

(The dumplings are small, because I ate most of them before I took the picture. hah!)
  • Saute up some diced carrots, onion, and celery (mirepoix).
  • When soft, push to the side and add some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Sear on each side over medium-high heat, about 5 mins each side for plump breasts.
  • Remove breasts and let rest 5 mins
  • While breasts are resting, add 6-8 cups chicken stock to mirepoix. Bring to a boil
  • Cut up chicken breasts and put back in stock
  • mix 2 cups Bisquick (Jiffy or other biscuit mix is fine) with 2/3 cup water and form into soft ball of dough.
  • Spoon into broth and boil for 10 minutes
  • reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 mintues.
Done! Makes about 6 big servings.

To be honest, I don't post more stuff like this becuase I figure most people know how to cook simple dishes like this, and would only really be interested in the fancier stuff.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I do chicken and dumplings as leftovers. I often will cook a large chicken for the three of us (including the six-year-old). We're good for maybe half the breast and a wing and a drumstick at that meal. I slice the other breast half thin for sandwiches and boil the rest of the carcass for an hour or two. I strain it and pick all the meat off the bones and dice or shred that. Then it's pretty much like Greg's recipe, only I slow cook the veggies rather than sauteing them, and I also thicken the gravy. I make the dumplings from scratch. It's something like a cup of flour, 2 tsp baking powder and a little sugar and salt; 1/2 cup milk. That's off the top of my head, if anyone's interested in details I can look it up.

I had always thought of dumplings as strictly for beef stew; my wife suggested them with chicken.

This is one of the ultimate comfort foods; great for a chilly gray day or when you're a little under the weather.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

chas wrote:It's something like a cup of flour, 2 tsp baking powder and a little sugar and salt;
That's pretty much what bisquick is: pre-mixed salt, flour,and baking soda...saves me from having to measure a couple ingredients when I'm in a hurry. ;)

You're right..it's a great comfort dish, and my kid always cleans his plate when i make it ;)
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

This is big comfort dish for me, with a liberal amount of pepper applied.

I made it for my wife once, she wasn't impressed. But she did like the curry pot pie I made using Bisquick for the crust.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Amusing. That's what we had for dinner last night, using almost exactly that recipe. Though I didn't think to take pictures.

And very, very, different than the dish that Cracker Barrel calls by the same name (also good, just . . . different). Since I'm not from a part of the US where Cracker Barrel has restaurants, I had a whole lifetime of conditioning to overcome when I first tried the Cracker Barrel version a few years back.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

What is the meaning of "comfort dish"?

I add mustard to my C&D for color. I like it yellow. Saffron is too expensive and food coloring is cheating.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

DCrom wrote:Amusing. That's what we had for dinner last night, using almost exactly that recipe. Though I didn't think to take pictures.
I almost didn't...thus the mostly-eaten dumplings. ;)

But then I recalled some ribbing I took a while back for only posting my fancy-schmancy dishes, and I'd just charged up my digital camera (after having lost the charging cable for 4 months) so i figured what the heck.

My theory of "A lot of people know how to do this stuff already if it's not fancy" seems to be pretty accurate, judging by the thread.. :D
Flyingcursor wrote:What is the meaning of "comfort dish"?
comfort food is simple homemade food like momma used to make. Fancy dishes are nice..but sometimes, you just want to curl up with something homey that reminds you of how you got taken care of as a kid. To me growing up in the South, that's things like chili, chicken and dumplings, biscuits and gravy, fried okra or fried green tomatoes...that kind of thing.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Wanderer wrote:
comfort food is simple homemade food like momma used to make. Fancy dishes are nice..but sometimes, you just want to curl up with something homey that reminds you of how you got taken care of as a kid. To me growing up in the South, that's things like chili, chicken and dumplings, biscuits and gravy, fried okra or fried green tomatoes...that kind of thing.
Pinto beans, served with southern-style cornbread. Add homemade wild blackberry jam for the cornbread if you don't want to crumble it into the beans.

Chicken and dumplings

Chicken Fricassee

Meat loaf

Beef stew

Baked rice casserole topped with chunks of smoked sausage or hot links

Chili (basically Texas style, but we commit heresy and add beans, too)

Fried chicken

Beef chow fun

Pork chow mein

Fried rice

Singapore noodles

Carnitas

Tamales

I shouldn't have started - I'm trying to keep my weight down and I'm making myself hungry. :sniffle:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dang, but that picture of chicken & dumplins looked good!!!

Keep posting pics like that, you'll have me drooling into my keyboard... :wink:
I shouldn't have started - I'm trying to keep my weight down and I'm making myself hungry.
No worries...according to the last I read, if you maintain a healthy weight, you can expect to live about 84 years; if you are obese, you can expect to live about 80.

Keep yer four years and gimme the good food!!! :twisted:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Wanderer wrote:My theory of "A lot of people know how to do this stuff already if it's not fancy" seems to be pretty accurate, judging by the thread.. :D
Now, now! Let's not be hasty in assessing the situation! It could just be that the rest of us were preoccupied with foraging for pre-cooked meals.

I, personally, had no idea how you made that stuff. Nary a dumpling has been in my pot!

Now, I'm intrigued!
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I can remember as a kid, hearing my mom and other ladies tell their tales of making chicken and dumplins.The recipes,the color of the dumplins-grey tinge being the worst- the skill involved. They would all agonize over the dumplin' part-
the ultimate tragedy being if they sank instead of floated.

Chicken and Dumplins were always spoken of in some sort of awe- as if this was one of the key gages as to whether or not a cook was any good at all.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Yum! It works well in the crockpot as well... think I'll do that tomorrow... should finally feel like cooking and eating again.. I hate the flu.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
I.D.10-t

Re: chicken and dumplings

Post by I.D.10-t »

Wanderer wrote:To be honest, I don't post more stuff like this because I figure most people know how to cook simple dishes like this, and would only really be interested in the fancier stuff.

I think you would be surprised what simple things people have not tried and seem to be in the realm of the supernatural to most. Many think that baking bread or rolling out pasta is exotic. Heck, even with your simple recipe I learned a new word (mirepoixa). Some of the comfort foods that DCrom listed I would have no clue on where to even start.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

comfort food:
lightly seasoned lentils served with rice and a side of naan.

(comfort food is whatever comforts without challenging you. Dependable, yummy stuff you know you love.)
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

I add mustard to my C&D for color. I like it yellow. Saffron is too expensive and food coloring is cheating.
If you want yellow color, just use turmeric. ;)

I always add it to curry dishes if i make it for someone who expect any food with curry to be yellow.

(If your mustard contains E100, it has turmeric in it)