Indian Nano news

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Indian Nano news

Post by Denny »

(CBS/AP) India's Tata Motors on Thursday unveiled its much anticipated $2,500 car, an ultra-cheap price tag that brings car ownership into the reach of tens of millions of people. But critics worry the car could overwhelm the country's roads and create an environmental nightmare.

Company Chairman Ratan Tata, introducing the Nano during India's main auto show, drove onto a stage in a white version of the tiny four-door subcompact, his head nearly touching the roof.

With a snub nose and a sloping roof, the world's cheapest car can fit five people - if they squeeze. And the basic version is spare: there's no radio, no passenger-side mirror and only one windshield wiper. If you want air conditioning to cope with India's brutal summers, you need to get the deluxe version.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/ ... 5117.shtml
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmph. And how am I supposed to haul around my gamelan in that???
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

beats me....I don't think that I could get in the little sucker :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

It's certainly bigger than a breadbox. Although not appreciably.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The radio guys on "CarTalk" had great fun with the Yugo. I already can hear their comments about this car if it ever gets into the USA. The car supposedly emits less pollution than a motorcycle. Since two-cycle motorcyles are great polluters, along with 2-cycle lawn mowers, I don't think that the car will score many green points.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Doug_Tipple wrote:The radio guys on "CarTalk" had great fun with the Yugo. I already can hear their comments about this car if it ever gets into the USA. The car supposedly emits less pollution than a motorcycle. Since two-cycle motorcyles are great polluters, along with 2-cycle lawn mowers, I don't think that the car will score many green points.
Yeah, but most motorcycles aren't two-strokes anymore. I haven't seen one in years.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Redwolf wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:The radio guys on "CarTalk" had great fun with the Yugo. I already can hear their comments about this car if it ever gets into the USA. The car supposedly emits less pollution than a motorcycle. Since two-cycle motorcyles are great polluters, along with 2-cycle lawn mowers, I don't think that the car will score many green points.
Yeah, but most motorcycles aren't two-strokes anymore. I haven't seen one in years.

Redwolf
I haven't smelled on in years.
/Bloomfield
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Redwolf wrote:

Redwolf
Agreed that most motorcycles are 4-cycle, however, some of the smaller motocycles, mopeds, scooters, etc. are still 2-cycle. Honda, for example, makes several models of 2-cycle bikes, 250 cc and smaller. Their 250 cc 2-cycle motorcycle sells for $6,500, so it isn't a toy. I'm guessing that there are many 2-cycle motorcycles in India, based on the blue exhaust that I see on news reports of street scenes.
emmline

Re: Indian Nano news

Post by emmline »

Denny wrote:(CBS/AP) India's Tata Motors on Thursday unveiled its much anticipated $2,500 car, an ultra-cheap price tag that brings car ownership into the reach of tens of millions of people.
Roughly what my dad paid for our new VW Beetle in 1973. My sister wanted him to order orange. I wanted red. He got light blue. I remember really admiring the Karmann Ghia on display.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Heh heh... Tata Motors.
Reasonable person
Walden
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

emmline wrote:
Denny wrote:(CBS/AP) India's Tata Motors on Thursday unveiled its much anticipated $2,500 car, an ultra-cheap price tag that brings car ownership into the reach of tens of millions of people.
Roughly what my dad paid for our new VW Beetle in 1973. My sister wanted him to order orange. I wanted red. He got light blue. I remember really admiring the Karmann Ghia on display.
I bought my first new car in 1965. The VW bug cost $1,750. I remember than my payments were $75 a month for two years. I sure would like to buy another one just like the pretty blue one that I was so proud of.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:Heh heh... Tata Motors.
Now, Walden....let's not be making fun of the Indians, okay?
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

(CBS/AP)...Company Chairman Ratan Tata, introducing the Nano during India's main auto show...
This is an arrant lie. We've never met. I've never even traded words, by phone, letter, or computer, with the gentleman.

Although I definitely like the use of the definite article, here. In future when referring to me in the third person, please say, "the Nano".
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

In reading the article, it sounded like they were saying that The Nano was a very good product, and something much needed. But that if there were millions of them, this could
overwhelm the country's roads and create an environmental nightmare.
Not to mention the effect this would have on sessions in the Twin Cities area. :wink: