Any one use fountain pens any more?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Any one use fountain pens any more?

Post by fel bautista »

I just cleaned out an old Cross fountain pen and refilled it (no leaks-YAY!). Anyone else still use one? I have my parent's Shaefer pens, plus ones I've acquired over the years.[/b]
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I just reclaimed one of mine from decades ago, still seems to be in good shape I've even got some ink for it... it's going to take a while to find the time to get back to using it though. I love them.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I have a Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen. Mine is green with rhodium trim. I really like it, though I should use it more than I do...

It looks like this one:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

all the fountain pens that i have ever owned have leaked. so i just use calligraphy quills and ink. i like to mix from one ink to another and get a bit of a blend going.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I use fountain pens!!!! :D

Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens are excellent, as well as inexpensive. If you're of a mind to try a fountain pen, that's a good choice. It's very forgiving, no-maintenance, and doesn't dry out readily. The points, regardless of whether they say medium or fine, are in the range of "fine." Readily available at Staples, sometimes at Office Depot, and www.pilotpens.com. Here's the multicolor pack. (Staples has a set of 3 -- black, blue, and purple.)

Oh, I should mention that bookstores like Borders often have these for sale loose, as in unwrapped. You might see a tub of them by the checkout. The points on these are often ruined by people pressing too hard when "testing" them. You can't see this, but you won't be able to write nicely with them.

One of my favorites is a Lamy Safari. It's not finicky at all, writes very well, and is dependable. It even keeps working when you're writing in bed.

Another favorite is a Waterman Phileas. It's a smoooooth writer, uses readily available cartridges, and isn't fussy. A plump, comfortable pen with a cool Art Deco "cigar band" decoration.

I also have 10 or 12 Esterbrook J-series pens from the 1940s and 50s, of which 10 work perfectly. After acquiring a couple which needed a part or two or which weren't quite matched, I ended up buying two lots of multiple pens on ebay, thinking they would be junk and hoping to find the parts. These turned out to be better than anticipated! Still could use a few new nibs, but nearly everybody writes, has a matching cap and is gloriously shiny with bright, shiny metal. Very easy to restore, too!

They are a bit fussy, drying out quickly if they're not used regularly. Nibs range from an extremely find accounting point to a flexible script to one industrial strength "manifold" nib which was intended to write on carbon forms.

You can't see it well in the photo, but they are jewel-tone marbelized celluloid. Cranberry, moss green, copper, brown, gray, and blue.

The pen images are from www.pendemonium.com, one of my favorite pen-related websites.

Another favorite website is nibs.com.
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Lambchop wrote:Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens are excellent, as well as inexpensive. If you're of a mind to try a fountain pen, that's a good choice. It's very forgiving, no-maintenance, and doesn't dry out readily. www.pilotpens.com

These Pilot disposable fountain pens are excellent. They were recommended by someone whose opinion on office supplies I respect and value (All right -- they were recommended by Lamb, but she is an office supply goddess), and now that is all I use. I am not responsible enough to have real fountain pens, but these are an excellent substitute. And they are cheap enough that when someone says "Oooh, that's cool. What is it?" you can just give it to them in hopes that yet another person will be converted to fountain pens.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

wow. i got a monkey on my back when it comes to office supplies and i have totally missed the disposable fountain pens. i bow to your knowledge of such gems. i can only ask forgiveness for being blinded by gel pens and my tendancy to be a bit old school and thinking that fountain pens were as good as they could get.

do they really not leak? i got a closet full of white shirts with blue ink stains on the pocket that i can only wear under sweaters and hope that no one cranks up the heat at the office.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I have several Pelikan's that I used day to day and my wife just gave me a very nice Mon Blanc for my 40th birthday. But it's too nice and I don't want to take it out of the house in fear of losing it!

It's a little difficult for me since I'm left handed, I have to make sure I don't drag my hand over the wet ink.

Edit; Let me second Lampchop's recommendation for Pendemonium. I've ordered several things from them and have always been happy with the results.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

mutepointe wrote:do they really not leak? i got a closet full of white shirts with blue ink stains on the pocket that i can only wear under sweaters and hope that no one cranks up the heat at the office.
There are always pocket protectors. :)

I've never seen one leak. I'm not sure where it would leak from, since it's kind of sealed. Fewer moving parts, so to speak.

Of course, if one were to put the pen in one's pocket without the cap on . . . <snerk!>

Check out a product called "Amodex" on www.pendemonium.com. It removes ink stains.

I, naturally, have never needed to use such a product. But perhaps someone who might have put a pen in his pocket without the cap on might speak to its efficacy . . .
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
bepoq
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Use them mostly, myself. I've a couple old Swans, one with a relatively fine point and the other with an italic nib (both very flexible), and then a modern aurora italic nib (not really flexible at all but nice all the same). I used to have one of the older type vanishing point ones which was very nice til someone nicked it, I think under the impression it was a cheap click pen. I'm hankering after a Sailor 1911 - extaordinary nib - you wouldn't believe the ease with which they write.
Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here
djm

Post by djm »

beboq wrote:I'm hankering after a Sailor

Wrong forum, buddy.

djm
Last edited by djm on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

I use a Waterman, used to own a Mont Blanc, and I really like fountain pens. There are websites that carry fountain pens and other writing instruments, but I just don't have the ready cash to indulge my passion for them! :lol:

Regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

djm wrote:
beboq wrote:I'm hankering after a Sailor

Wrong forum, buddy.

djm
Right forum, wrong gender...

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Barametric pressure gradients can have an effect on whether fountain pens leak or not. The fountain pens that I used to have had a rubber bladder that held the ink. If you happened to fill the pen on a high pressure day and then put the pen in your pocket, when a low pressure front would pass by, the ink in the bladder would ooze out of the tip of the pen, pass through the threads of the cap, and leave an ink spot on the shirt you were wearing. You can observe the opposite effect on a plastic drink container. If you close the top with ambient low pressure, when the bottle is exposed to a higher ambient pressure, the sides of the container will collapse. This phenomenon is very easy to see if you drive in the mountians. I used to drive from a mountain top at 9,000 feet elevation to my home in the valley at 2,300 feet. Any container with flexible sides that I closed at the top of the mountain would be completely collapsed when I arrived home.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Ah ha! Thus explaining why they leak in airplanes!

Does the same hold true for cartridges, I wonder?
Cotelette d'Agneau