What's wrong with Major League Baseball? A Thread by Dale W.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's wrong with Major League Baseball? A Thread by Dale W.

Post by Dale »

Here's what's wrong. I can hardly keep my wife in the room with me during the World Series because she says every time she looks at the screen someone is spitting. She is, as usual, correct.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

There's the whole "adjusting" thing, too.

If you point this out to your wife, it might make her feel better about the spitting.

Just a suggestion.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

the same thing that is wrong with every sport these days. sportmanship left a long time ago.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I don't mind the spitting so much...or the adjusting...

I prefer baseball over football (just stupid to me), basketball (too intense for me), golf (y-a-w-n), hockey (an excuse for pandemonium), boxing (let's hit each other in the head until one of us is unconscious), ....

It can be a little slow, but I understand it much better than other sports, I can see the faces of the players, there's (usually) no violence, and there are just the right amount of moments of real excitement.

My daughter and her boyfriend play baseball with a group of friends (all in their mid-20s) many evenings in the summer and almost every nice evening in the fall. They absolutely love it and have great times. There's just something about baseball to some people ... (and, mute, once in awhile you find a player who is in it for the love of the sport--that's a real find)

Susan
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Yes there is spitting. But ask her to count the number of times players show each other up, in that look-at-me, in-your-face way that has permeated and spoils the NFL and especially the NBA. There is still decorum in baseball. I can overlook expectoration.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Japanese player Ichiro Suzuki was asked what he would do to if he were in charge of American baseball. His answer, "clean up the dugouts." With the spitting every other minute, by every other player, imagine what that dugout looks out. Better yet, don't. Yech.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

You want real baseball, check out college ball. All the excitement of major league baseball at a fraction of the cost. You can get seats right behind the dugouts for under five bucks, and if you go on quarter hot dog night, you have an outing for a family of four for less than the soft drinks cost in a major league park.

These's less spitting, too.

The only drawback is that they use those gawdawful aluminum bats. "Piiinng" just doesn't have the authoritaive sound of a solid hit off a wooden bat.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

What's wrong with baseball is that it isn't cricket.

No spitting, aluminium bats banned and no all-in brawls.
missy

Post by missy »

What's wrong with baseball (and every other pro sport, but especially baseball) is you never have any idea WHO is going to be on the field!

I grew up in the era of the "Big Red Machine". No matter what day, and for quite some years in a row, you KNEW Johnny would be catching, Joe would be doing his "chicken wing" when batting, Pete would have another hit, Davey would give an un-intelligible interview, Ken Sr. and Lee would go quietly about their playing, etc. You knew them, you knew their families and kids, you saw them in the off season at events and at the mall or at their kid's schools.
You could buy a #5 jersey and know who was going to be wearing it in the game. And know it would eventually be retired.

Other than 2 players, I have NO idea who's on the Reds anymore. Even if I know at the beginning of the year, by June it's a whole new team. As for year after year, it's anyone's guess.

Football hasn't gotten quite so bad - yet.

But in ALL pro sports, there's just no team loyalty anymore. Not from the fans, but from the TEAM.

And yeah - the Bengals are loosing. Again. Is it any wonder we support our high school football teams so much more than the pros here????
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

At least in baseball you know what team is going to be where.

My problem with current baseball is the length of the games. Bob Gibson averaged seven seconds per pitch. Ever since Pudge Fisk and Mike "The human rain delay" Hargrove, it seems like every single hitter leaves the batter's box after every single pitch and adjusts every piece of clothing and equipment he's wearing.

I like minor league ball, although I don't get to see enough of it. We've got both an A club and a double A club within an hour. A ball especially can be an adventure -- on any given night you might have a couple of players playing like high schoolers and a couple playing like major leaguers. Double A you'll occasionally get lucky and see a whole game that looks like a major league game. Many moons ago I saw David Justice when he was playing for the Richmond Braves. That was a treat.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I've seen some A ball games that were pretty decent - of course, Greg Maddux was pitching and Mark Grace was playing 1st base. That was a long time ago.

Baseball is timeless. I watched Field of Dreams again not that long ago. James Earl Jones' speech at the end sums it up for me.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

missy wrote:I grew up in the era of the "Big Red Machine". No matter what day, and for quite some years in a row, you KNEW Johnny would be catching...
I was deeply in love with Johnny Bench (in fact, he's the major reason I got into baseball at all) and I would prefer it if you speak of him as Mr. Bench in my company.

Susan
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I almost never watch any sports at all, only because I'm greedy with my time, and don't want to get sucked in. But when the Red Sox make the series, I do make time for it. (I'm a transplanted New Englander). I don't understand the spitting thing either, but at least it's not tobacco anymore, which is still common in these parts.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
missy

Post by missy »

susnfx wrote:
missy wrote:I grew up in the era of the "Big Red Machine". No matter what day, and for quite some years in a row, you KNEW Johnny would be catching...
I was deeply in love with Johnny Bench (in fact, he's the major reason I got into baseball at all) and I would prefer it if you speak of him as Mr. Bench in my company.

Susan
Sorry Susan - didn't mean it in disrespect!

Mr. Bench's son is now playing high school football. He's something like 6'5" and over 250 lbs, and he's evidently not good at baseball, but his football team will probably win state again.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

What's wrong with baseball is that I'm not in the major leagues. Playing baseball is a lot of fun. Watching baseball is deadly dull.

What's wrong with baseball is that it isn't hockey. :thumbsup:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.