Death to McAfee

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Death to McAfee

Post by djm »

I am sick to death of McAfee "protection" software buggering my system. I have just been through another typical 3 hour round of downloads, downloads that fail, downloads that can't install until you un-install another piece of their own g0d@mned software, resets, system reboots, etc.

Now I can't run email. "Connection is refused." I can see on their support web site that it is a new, known problem. The URL of the patch given to fix this McAffee-invented problem doesn't work. I would like to ask how to get this patch, but I have to register with their support forum to be able to ask. I can't complete the registration process until I receive, read, and follow the instructions they just emailed me. BUT I CAN'T ACCESS MY EMAIL!!!!!

Okay, I am beaten. I will have to phone for support and pay $2.95 per minute of their precious time. I call. I give my credit card info. I wait. The connection drops. I get a busy signal.

There has to be a better way. I have seen lists of other software people have been using to protect their systems like ZoneAlarm. What all are you anti-McAfee/anti-Norton folks using currently on WinXP?

Much thx in advance,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I had similar fun with Norton, and installed McAfee instead in the new PC. Frankly, I think the kid has probably largely disarmed the McAfee in getting his Guild Wars and Anime stuff to run, but I don't worry about it until something goes utterly kaflooey.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I used the free version of AVG for Anti-Virus.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-fr ... s/us/frt/0
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Free AVG rocks...I've been using it now for 6 or 7 years with no problems.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Computer viruses no longer get much press. Are they that much less prevalent/effective/destructive, or just "old news"?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

NOD32

is what we use on our home network.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I couldn't agree more. I finally got rid of that junk.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I've had McAfee on some computers and Norton on others and, without a single exception, I've eventually had enough problems to uninstall them and install free antivirus programs.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

fearfaoin wrote:I used the free version of AVG for Anti-Virus.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-fr ... s/us/frt/0
Me too. Thanks to I think it was Amar. I have had no problems since. Norton had mine all messed up. I hate Norton.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

This is interesting.
My Dell came with McAfee, which I never fully registered for, and I think I eventually uninstalled it, and begain using AVG (again, at a Chiffer's suggestion).

However, my experience with AVG hasn't been very nice.
I really don't know about it's virus protection abilities, but I do know that at many times it grinds my system to almost a screeching halt.

Caviat: My system is a 2002 Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows XP Home. I also have it setup as a dual boot to an old RedHat Linux (8.?). My HD is running at almost full *all the time* (time to dump some of those questionable files, I think). Is that what makes things so slow? I would offload some files to disk, but my CDRW drive doesn't W anymore. Finally time for a new box?
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

New box time. A 5 year old computer must be the equivalent of 200 dog years :-)

My work computer filled up and it was painfully slow trying to write to disk. CAD files don't work well when its split all over your HD.
djm

Post by djm »

Whenever your system memory is running low (which would be fairly often with newer software on an older machine), your system tries to store memory data on your hard drive. The less space on your drive there is, or the more scattered, or smaller the individual bits of spare space, the slower your system will run.

Yes, get rid of unnecessary files, but also try running the disk cleaner and disk defragmenter (Programs-Accessories-System Tools).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My laptop has Trend Micro from work and that works seamlessly. My home one has Norton and so far no problems. My daughter's has AVG and that's fine as well. I had McAfee for a while and didn't like it.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I have AVG on my 2002 era laptop (as well as on my 1998 Dell) and it runs fine, but I have yet to try it with my new laptop I bought this year.
Anyone have any experience running it with MS Vista? Compatability issues?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Tyler Morris wrote: Anyone have any experience running it with MS Vista? Compatability issues?
No problems whatsoever. Works like a dream.

Never used McAfee but I used Norton/Symantec for years without any issues, that was corporate edition though. The only reason I switched was because I changed job and no longer had a subscription paid for by work.