Outside my window

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Outside my window

Post by izzarina »

post deleted because of offensiveness
Last edited by izzarina on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

That is one of the better photos I have seen hereabouts and I include rubbish (contrast) and window casing in my purvey.

Unfortunately you have photographed an Amish horse.
You have, IMO, contravened, the Amish ruling about photoing.
The Amish may not agree with me because they may not consider
that the horse, like the human, has a soul.
I, being a Hindu, know better and I make this protest on their behalf
in an area that they may be wanting.

I am going to contact Dr Anderson of X Files to obtain her address for
the Amish community so that I can write to them about this.
The X Files is the closest I have got to the Amish (other than this
beautiful contravening photo).

(Your garbage looks ghostly! :o )
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jack

Post by Jack »

Please do not take pictures of the Amish. It's very intrusive and goes against their religious beliefs. The Amish believe that photographs go against the Biblical injuction to "make no graven image," and they believe in a life of separatism from the world, which prohibits the world from having pictures of them.

I worship with a few former Mennonites and Amish, and I know that to have your picture taken when you do not know it, or even to have your house, horse, or buggy photographed when you have not provoked it at all, is a horribly emotionally disturbing thing.

It's better to leave these people alone. They're not doing anything to provoke us. They are only living.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:Please do not take pictures of the Amish. It's very intrusive and goes against their religious beliefs.
Cran, I KNOW what the Amish believe on this subject, which is why we took great pains to make sure that the man driving the buggy was NOT included in the photo (their religious beliefs only include themselves, not their livestock or buggies). I am actually quite friendly with the Amish that live close to me (this man in particular has stopped and used my telephone)...they call us the "English family with almost a dozen children" (nothing from YOU Dub ;) ). This was NOT done out of malice, nor was it done to be intrusive. I think that the Amish are absolutely wonderful people, and I wish that I could implement much of what they do in their lives into my own.

Having said all of that, I can edit my post, if you find it that offensive.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

talasiga wrote:(Your garbage looks ghostly! :o )
Actually, it looks ghastly :lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Please do not take pictures of the Amish. It's very intrusive and goes against their religious beliefs.
Cran, I KNOW what the Amish believe on this subject, which is why we took great pains to make sure that the man driving the buggy was NOT included in the photo (their religious beliefs only include themselves, not their livestock or buggies). I am actually quite friendly with the Amish that live close to me (this man in particular has stopped and used my telephone)...they call us the "English family with almost a dozen children" (nothing from YOU Dub ;) ). This was NOT done out of malice, nor was it done to be intrusive. I think that the Amish are absolutely wonderful people, and I wish that I could implement much of what they do in their lives into my own.

I do find it that offensive.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:I do find it that offensive.
Done.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Izzarina, you should not have to pander to other people's petty prejudices and self-aggrandizing sensitivities. That was a lovely photo and no more controversial or offensive than others that can readily be found in newspapers, magazines and on the internet, and since it is gone, here are some others to take its place.

Your photo was taken of a vehicle on a public road, and the operative word here is "public." There is no legitimate expectation of privacy in a public area. And just as one can be seen in a public area, one can be photographed in a public area.

And you can get your picture taken with a twelve-foot, wooden Amish guy here --
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote: I do find it that offensive.
I find your offendedness offensive.

Izzarina, you should not have to pander to other people's petty prejudices and self-aggrandizing sensitivities. That was a lovely photo and no more controversial or offensive than others that can readily be found in newspapers, magazines and on the internet
What he said ^2.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The personal restriction against photographs is not a common Amish belief, but is more prevalent in Old Order Amish and Mennonites.

If you type "Amish" into images.google.com, you'll find a whole passel of photographs of the Amish, including some folks smiling for the camera. "Amish in the City" is a UPN "Real World" style tv show where 6 Amish on rumspringa* are filmed living with 6 city kids. While it can be argued that the kids were on rumpsringa, that doesn't mean that their religious beliefs were suddenly negated...if they or their families had a religious objection to photography, they certainly wouldn't have taken part in this show.

Do we even know what Izz's neighbor thought about the photograph? I'm sorry I missed it :(

*rumpsringa is the "sowing the wild oats" rite of passage that Amish go through before being accepted as an adult in the Amish community. They live apart from Amish life for a time and they must decide voluntarily whether to return.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Cranberry wrote:
izzarina wrote:

I do find it that offensive.
Hold on a minute. You opened this thread, saw a picture that offended you, made a comment, then you came back to the thread to be offended all over again? You have the choice to not re-visit threads that offend you. Izzarina did nothing wrong, and was more than kind in removing the photo.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Not offended. Sheesh, people!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

A photograph of a person or animal is not a graven image, literally or figuratively.

Literally, it would need to be engraved which it is not. Figuratively, it would have to be an idol which it is not.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Yeeeeeeeeeeesh! Yoos guys are killin' me! :lol: :lol:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

gonzo914 wrote:Izzarina, you should not have to pander to other people's petty prejudices and self-aggrandizing sensitivities.
Thanks for injecting common sense into what was a decent and interesting thread.

It only took one complaint to cause the city of Walnut Creek (where I work) to abandon the use of the term "Easter Bunny" and change it to "Spring Bunny" and "Spring Egg Hunt." Yes, it's a silly bit of historically inaccurate nomenclature to begin with, but I do resent over-reactions like that.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?