How did YOU spend St. Patrick's Day?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How did YOU spend St. Patrick's Day?

Post by cowtime »

I was curious since this was my day's celebration/endurance:

I had to go to Roanoke for their St Patricks day parade FREEZE OUT- I kid you not, it was miserable, bitter cold(20s), snowing, and the wind!!!!! so bad that I had to hold my tenor drum in place with my left hand while just doing the beats with the right, forget flourishing. If I had't held it the thing would have literally been a side drum hanging completely on my left side.

One of our bass drummers did not fare well at all. He got BLOWN AWAY ! I know, I shouldn't have laughed, it's not funny, but it really WAS- one minute he was staggering along in front of me, the next he was spinning off to my left and was gone...... :o :lol: :lol: I don't know where he ended up. I was hysterically laughing so didn't see. He never caught up with us until after the parade ended. I did try out some pianos while in the city so all was not a complete loss.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thx. I'll have that image in my head for a while. :lol: :lol: :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I guess he was just doing a little spin off, eh?

I spent it consuming mass quantities of fluids, and ... well... processing them... not fun. And none of them were the type I would have chosen if I weren't in the grip of some gawdawful bug! Foo on flu!! Oooogh!...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I played whistle for a wedding. About 20 minutes as everyone was coming in, and then about five more while the mothers and whatnot were being seated. Lots of fun, and I got to play all those slow tunes I'm always on the verge of forgetting because they never get played. And no requests for Danny Boy! :party:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

I was just going to post that question-- I wanted to know how the St. Pat's
day gigs worked out for everybody. [pitiful] I wish I'd had a gig [/pitiful] :lol:

In my case-- spent the afternoon at our homeschool group's Performance
Fair and Potluck Supper. There were about 15 kids performing, all the way
from kids barely past toddlerhood to highschoolers. One teen was very good,
played guitar /harmonica in the Bob Dylan style. Except he forgot the bracket
for his harmonica!!! So he had to stop, pull the harmonica out of his
pocket, play, stick it back in his pocket, ... He had very good stage
presence and managed to make comedy out of the whole thing instead of
getting all flustered. .....Another kid, a little girl about 8, did a very
vigorous Scottish Sword Dance. Her mom had brought the CD in a little
boombox and put it on the stage not too far from where the girl was
dancing. Every time the girl did a big jump the CD skipped :lol:

It was like a celebration of imperfection, which I thought was great :)

Very good food too. These ageing-hippie-homeschoolers really know
how to cook (present company excepted of course :lol: my husband
made a lasagna).

No music from my kid yet (almost 11)-- but his best friend played a
clarinet solo, so I'm hoping Kevin got inspired. I would be glad if he
decided to work on ANY instrument at ALL, ....even...bodhran :o
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

In my bed ill :swear: :swear:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I had to work.

Dragged myself out of bed at 5:45 am DST (4:45 standard time - yes, I'm still griping about THAT). Took aspirin for my sore throat and did the usual morning things and got to work. Changed the water for the birds that are in the break room and out in the main part of the store, and picked up the nasty newspapers under the cages and put clean papers down. Then had to take the printout of the dog and cat food that was recalled and check our stock to see if we had any (we only had one kind with the expiration date that matched, and none had been sold yet.) Of course, just as I would get going on that a customer was ready to check out so I had to run over and ring them up, since I'm the only cashier until 10 am. Then after 10 the one new guy was pulled from cashier duty to help set up stuff out in the nursery, and the other girl who was scheduled to cashier doesn't like cashiering, and since she's sleeping with the manager's son she gets to do pretty much as she pleases, and she reluctantly did what she was scheduled to do only when I had breaks and lunch. (Yes, I'm bitter about that. I'm not the only one who sees this. Management doesn't care.)

I couldn't go to the parade because of work. And it was one of the prettiest St. Patrick's days there's been for a while - got up to 64 and sunshine. My husband was working also, but our daughter took the bus downtown and watched the parade and had fun.

We didn't go out anywhere this evening either. Both my husband and I are too tired after working all week to bother going someplace and spending our hard-earned money. But I did break out a couple of Irish Rovers videotapes and watched them. Would have been nice to see them live but couldn't make it to a show.
Charlene
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

im sorry , bit ima realy drunk 8) but i relly like the cornbeef and cabbage.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I spent it enjoying being home again (just got back from a two week business trip last night). Atlanta's a nice enough city, but it's not home.

I did a little yard work, took a hike in the hills with my wife & daughter #2, had the obligatory corned beef & cabbage, . . . and played the flute. Some days I play better than others, and today was one of the better ones, so I took full advantage of it.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I did what I like most in life: playing the flute in good company ;)

On friday night we had a big session in my favourite pub in Luxembourg, featuring a ceili band from County Kerry, all young folks playing very well. They were joined by the usual crowd of luxembourgish, french, irish, american session-junkies. The room was terribly overcrowded with more than 20 musicians but the craic was good.

On saturday evening i went to Metz (France) where I met 5 french musicians, very nice friends. We played a kind of gig in a pub there. It was madness. Lots of young people, all drinking and smoking, very noisy. The air quality was very bad and we are all looking forward to next year when french pubs will be smokefree at last. Nevertheless we enjoyed ourselves and I know I am lucky to have such friends and also to have discovered irish trad. music on St Pat's day 2001. It has changed my life.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Stayed in and watched TV. Can't be bothered with all the shamrocks in pints, guiness hats nonsense that fills the pubs on Paddy's day.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

We went to Luton's St Paddy's Day parade.

After the parade The Fureys played a free gig at the end of the pedestrian main street. Brilliant! Eddie still sounds the same - even if he's looking a bit worn these days...

Spent the evening in a local country pub with mates.

A good day. :party:

Sorry to hear you were poorly, Davy. :(
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Well I had to work a twelve hour shift but meself and the better half went out last night to look for a Paddys night celebration. No such luck. Apart from cheap Guinness there was nothing at all so we ended up in the Gay bar for a well advertised Alice in Wonderland fancy dress ball.
Some serious costumes there and a great crack all round.
Not a Leprechaun in sight either.
Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

We had our annual family St. Pat's day party, only hardly anyone from my family was able to come this year, which was disappointing. But we had some friends as well, about 13 people total. We had corned beef and cabbage, lamb stew, soda bread, brown bread, potatoes and vegetables, and Irish Cream Cake and Chocolate Guinness Cake for dessert. It was a good time.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The girls all had better offers, so the boy, the hubby and I went to mom & dad's and had take out Chinese.
I'll confess, it wasn't very Irish at all, and I look pretty sickly in green.
A friend who lives in town joined us, lamenting as she left that St. P's day is the worst night for drunks in Annapolis all year, and she'd have to step carefully going home.
But my mom and Katherine and my aunt Jackie and I had some nice conversation in the kitchen while Gabe lay on the floor being bored, my dad watched basketball, and Jeff pretended to watch basketball.