Word 2007

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Word 2007

Post by StevieJ »

This week I was forced to buy Microsoft Office 2007. Grrr.

I've been using the new Word on WinXP for a couple of days now and (apart from the redesigned interface which has lots of good and bad points) I am having the following troubles.

For no reason that I can detect, when I launch the program, 1 time in 3 it tells me it is configuring Office 2007, which takes about 5 minutes. Anyone know how to stop it doing this?

The next problem may be related. I use a handful of macros to speed up my editing, which I assign to keystrokes. For some reason the keystroke assignments don't persist after the program is closed, although the macros themselves appear to remain in normal.dotm.

When you have several documents open, each seems to load in a separate session. Is there a way to change this behaviour? I can't find one...

Many thanks for expressions of sympathy or practical help.

Steve

PS please don't tell me to get OpenOffice or anything else instead. It's not an option, and if it were, I would avail myself of it.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

StevieJ wrote:For no reason that I can detect, when I launch the program, 1 time in 3 it tells me it is configuring Office 2007, which takes about 5 minutes. Anyone know how to stop it doing this?
The computers in the library do this, sometimes, too. I don't know why.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

This rings a bell, but I'm darned to heck if I know which one...

Try saving your normal.dot file in your own (common) office area. It's worth saving a few different .dot files, as they tend to get overwritten, in my experience. One for Documents, one for Letters and so on.

Make sure when you start a document that you aren't saving it as a .dot - unless you really mean to do so. So once you've saved your .dot files, save a .doc. then close Word & re-open it. It should pick up the correct "normal.dot" default.

Are you sharing a machine with someone? I think when I had this it was a pair of us overwriting (and deleting) each others' .dot files.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If you still have a previous version of any of the Office programs on your PC, and you run it, the next time you start any Office 2007 program, you'll see this "installing / configuring Office...." garp.

Ignore it. The only permanent fix is to remove the other program, which is probably something you need.

This can also happen if the previous version of Office was removed but was not uninstalled correctly. In this case the fix is to remove all versions of Office completely. First uninstall 2007. Then reload the previous version. Then uninstall the previous version. Then reinstall 2007.

Ain't Winders fun, ya'll?

--James

P.S. Usual disclaimer: just because this seems to fit your symptoms as you've described them doesn't mean that it is in fact the cause of your trouble.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Thanks all. James was doubtless right since I didn't uninstall my previous version. I wasn't overwriting any templates btw. The funny thing is that all the weird behaviour I mentioned has now ceased - touch wood - without my doing anything to remedy it.

I'm still smarting though because not only was my previous version (Office 97) too old to qualify for upgrade pricing, and so I had to pay full price for the new version (ouch!), but the rush job that meant I had to upgrade was cancelled the day after :swear: (after I had spent almost 3 hours on Monday night whizzing around town trying to find a store that had the right version - in English).

I often long for the days when I used to work with paper typescripts and all I needed was a red pen!

Steve
djm

Post by djm »

Gimme that old time Standard Mark-up Language any day!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.