European Storms

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

European Storms

Post by cowtime »

I saw on the news tonight that ya'll across the sea have had a time with the weather. I was just wondering if everyone is ok ?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Been a bit on the windy side for the past few days but nothing serious.

Other parts of the country have other stories to tell but we got away lightly when all is said and done.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

dubhlinn wrote:Been a bit on the windy side for the past few days but nothing serious.

Other parts of the country have other stories to tell but we got away lightly when all is said and done.

Slan,
D. :)
Good to hear that. :) The stuff shown on the news here was pretty scary looking.
John Foster West
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Been a few trees down, alas, but apart from that ...

Local wisdom has it that living close to the confluence of two rivers keeps us safe from the vagaries of wind and water.

I don't understand the reasoning behind that but it seems to work.

Slan,
D.
:)

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

One reason I love my mountains is because they shelter us from most of the extremes of weather- far enough away from the ocean to only get a little wind from hurricanes occasionally and far enough away from the flat land that tornadoes are almost unheard of around here. So if your rivers are protecting you that's a good thing, however they do it.

But that stuff on the news tonight? Wow, planes careening through the air attempting to land, huge trees down everywhere, whole buildings collapsing... it had me worried.
John Foster West
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

cowtime wrote:
But that stuff on the news tonight? Wow, planes careening through the air attempting to land, huge trees down everywhere, whole buildings collapsing... it had me worried.
Indeed..

Weird things are going down on the National news.

The local news reports a bit of traffic chaos because a few trees went down and one guy is dead because his shed fell on him.

Luck of the draw, in many ways...

Tomorrow brings another corner to turn.

Slan,
D. :sniffle:

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

cowtime wrote:But that stuff on the news tonight? Wow, planes careening through the air attempting to land...
I SAW that!!! :o It scared the heck out of me. I hate to fly, and when I see that kind of stuff, it just furthers my convictions that if humans were meant to fly, they'd have wings. I may never get overseas now :P

Glad to hear that you're doing fine Dubh. :) Take care with the next round, ok?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

It was more England into Europe that got nailed. France, Germany, Poland Czechoslovakia all reported deaths due to near hurricane force winds - 41 in all. Lots of damage. I guess for people who aren't used to that sort of weather it must have scared the bejezus out of them.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I want to know how they get hurricane force wind in places where there aren't warm oceans to feed them.

Also, it says they had it in 1999 too.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

FJohnSharp wrote:I want to know how they get hurricane force wind in places where there aren't warm oceans to feed them.
All it takes is a strong high pressure area bumping up against a strong low. The pressure gradiant can result in winds in excess of 75 MPH which is the low end of the hurricane wind speed scale.

There can be storms with those wind speeds just about anywhere on the planet, even on the ice caps.

The highest wind speed recorded, (excepting ones due to torandos) is 231 MPH on Mt Washington NH in April, during a snow storm
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

As Dubh said it was windy but it has been windy since early november and this last storm didn't exceed what we've been getting at least once a week since (i.e. 130-150 km/h gusts). Parts of the UK and the continent just aren't used taking that.
Henke

Post by Henke »

djm wrote:It was more England into Europe that got nailed. France, Germany, Poland Czechoslovakia all reported deaths due to near hurricane force winds - 41 in all. Lots of damage. I guess for people who aren't used to that sort of weather it must have scared the bejezus out of them.

djm
I think we had 4 deaths in Sweden as well, and lots of people injured and without electricity for weeks out in the country side.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

It rained a couple of days ago. Apart from that we've missed the whole thing, been quite a mild week to be honest.

The footage of that plane taking off sideways from Birmingham scared the crap out of me though. Who thought it was a good idea to let planes take off if the cross winds were doing that to them?
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

a few roads were blocked by trees, a few roofs had minor damage, but otherwise no harm here.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I'm glad to hear the Chrisoff and Claudine have fared well. I was wondering about some of the other European Chiffers. Henke, I'm sorry that things have been a bit more wild for you. Stay safe!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.