For Tolkien fans...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

For Tolkien fans...

Post by Tyler »

...real ones, not da film junkies :P

Christopher Tolkien has completed for publication another unfinished novel by his father, J.R.R. Tolkien, due to be released in April of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_children_of_hurin

happy-happy-joy-joy... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

That's good news indeed.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I await its release with bated... um... palms. :D
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Oooooooooooooh!

Thanks for the 'heads up'!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, I thought the other stuff he finished (at least what I read) sucked. It's been years ago now, but it was half as good as the stuff J.R.R. completed himself, imo. Did I miss something?

Loren
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I guess you have to be a real die-hard to really get into his posthumous stuff. A good majority of it is first draft material, and J.R.R. Tolkien was one of those writers who revised the hell out of everything (he even began notes and outlines for a complete rewrite of The Hobbit shortly before he died).
I'm expecting the new book to be very much akin to The Silmarillion.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

I would like to be a die-hard fan, but this early stuff was never created with the intent of publishing it, or expanding it to the nth degree, and it shows. As Loren says, its just too difficult to get interested in (for me, at least).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah I was hardcore, but the Silmarillion killed it for me. Oh well. You guys enjoy, I'll wait for the reviews.....

Loren
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

I'll run down the condensed summary for ya when I read it, how's that? :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

Coles Notes? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:Coles Notes? :boggle:

djm
Only if Coles gives me a contract to write it! :D :P
(I'd totally forgotten about Coles Notes...Down here Cliff's the fellow who takes the notes... :D )
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tyler Morris wrote:I'll run down the condensed summary for ya when I read it, how's that? :wink:
Pefect, I just love finding ways to get others to do my work for me :lol:

Loren
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote:Yeah I was hardcore, but the Silmarillion killed it for me.
Ditto. The Silmarillion had all the swash-and-buckle of the genealogies in Deuteronomy, I thought. I don't recall that I even finished it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I tried to read the Silmarillion a few times, but I think the only way I could finish it would be if I were getting tested on it. I don't think J.R.R. ever intended that it be published, but rather kept it as notes upon which to base his far more readable published works. It's also good to keep in mind that he was a linguist by trade rather than a professional author.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I was pretty hardcore but it did take me a few attempts to make it through the Silmarillion and the same with Unfinished Tales. I've made a couple stabs at Lost Tales but that's the extent of my posthumous Tolkien scholarship. I'm still a fan but have acquired other interests both literary and otherwise. All of the posthumous work is a little hard to read. J.R.R. deftly and methodically folded an immense back-story, as well as an epic story, into the narrative of LotR.

I can see Christopher's editing and publishing his father's work in two ways. One is that from all of the biographical information I've read his father would absolutely hate that so much of his writing is out there unpolished and unrefined. But two is that Christopher is in a way taking on his father's mantle in terms of creating a lost English mythology and expanding the Elvish language.