Thanksgiving day?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Thanksgiving day?

Post by Flyingcursor »

Isn't today Thanksgiving day in Canada?

Happy thanksgiving.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

It's also Leif Erikson Day in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and Columbus Day is celebrated (by the winners) on Oct. 9 this year.

We always wait until Columbis Day Eve to decorate our Columbus Tree, then we sing Columbus carols and stay up until midnight and open our presents. The next day, we go to the Columbus Day buffet at the Ramada Inn, and then we take in the Living Landing, a tableau with live actors portraying Columbus presenting trinkets and smallpox to the indigenous population. Then we go home and watch It Used to be a Wonderful Life starring Jimmy Stewart as Christopher Columbus and Ward Bond as the chief of the Arawaks.

There's nothing like a good, old-fashioned Columbus Day celebration to bring a tear of nostalgia to this gonzo's eye.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

It's Columbus Day in the States, which my Indian friends refer to as "Invasion Day."

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm

Post by djm »

Gobble gobble, eh?

Actually, I went to Swiss Chalet, but its the thought that counts. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

gonzo914 wrote:It's also Leif Erikson Day in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and Columbus Day is celebrated (by the winners) on Oct. 9 this year.

We always wait until Columbis Day Eve to decorate our Columbus Tree, then we sing Columbus carols and stay up until midnight and open our presents. The next day, we go to the Columbus Day buffet at the Ramada Inn, and then we take in the Living Landing, a tableau with live actors portraying Columbus presenting trinkets and smallpox to the indigenous population. Then we go home and watch It Used to be a Wonderful Life starring Jimmy Stewart as Christopher Columbus and Ward Bond as the chief of the Arawaks.

There's nothing like a good, old-fashioned Columbus Day celebration to bring a tear of nostalgia to this gonzo's eye.
I woke my kid (5 years old) up this morning and he asks "Is it a school day?" "Yup, it's Monday" I reply.

"But it's Columbus Day!" he lamented. I was a bit impressed he knew the holiday. So I tells him:

"My great grandparents were full blooded Comanche. No holiday for you. Get dressed." :lol:

I don't think he found it as funny as I did.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Happy Thanksgiving.

As for Columbus Day, I'd go so far as to say it's not all black and white. Certainly Columbus, and they who followed after, did some horrible things, but there were also advances on both sides of the Atlantic due to the contact.
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:Happy Thanksgiving.

As for Columbus Day, I'd go so far as to say it's not all black and white. Certainly Columbus, and they who followed after, did some horrible things, but there were also advances on both sides of the Atlantic due to the contact.
You're right Walden. It's not all black and white. It's just that the way most of us American school children were raised to view Columbus as some kind of iconic noble explorer--well, it's natural that we'd feel a little cynical when we began to learn the rest of the story.
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

If it weren't for Columbus, my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather might have stayed in Ireland, and I might actually know how to play my whistles without embarrassment now. Bah!

Or they might have all starved during the potato famine.
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm just happy to have a day off- even though it will take us the rest of the week to catch back up with the mail.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've often thought how ironic it is that we in America have a holiday for an Italian, commissioned by Spain to find India, who ran into Cuba. What that has to do with this country, I have no idea. It's not even like Columbus was the first European to bump into North America!

My daughter's school had last Monday off instead. They decided (rightly, I think), to take the day off on a holiday that a lot of their students actually observe (Yom Kippur).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Redwolf wrote:I've often thought how ironic it is that we in America have a holiday for an Italian, commissioned by Spain to find India, who ran into Cuba. What that has to do with this country, I have no idea. It's not even like Columbus was the first European to bump into North America!
I think the significance is, he was the one who really opened up the interchange.
Reasonable person
Walden