Bloody McAfee...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Bloody McAfee...

Post by SteveShaw »

I've been with McAfee by default ever since I got my first computer five years ago and it's been more or less OK ever since. Until this week. As my subscription had run out I had to upgrade to version 7.0. But is this simple, as indeed am I? Why, of course not! The download finally went through on the fourth attempt, but then I kept getting warning messages that I wasn't protected. When I click on the "fix" button I just get told that I have several issues to address and I can go no further. I've tried to delete everything McAfee-related (impossible, actually) and reinstalling the software from scratch, but to no avail. Now I'm getting a stupid message that I have an old virus detection file - in Zone Alarm, which I have the free version of and which is irrelevant to McAfee! AAAARRRGH!!! :swear:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Modern technology, can't live with it, awful fun to shoot. :D
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

If you shoot it you might get hurt or hurt somebody else. If you can afford it, perhaps you can take it to a repair person like at Radio Shack. Do they have Radio Shack in the UK?
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Have you contacted the McAfee support folks? That's probably your best bet.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
emmline

Post by emmline »

I had an equally frustrating time with Norton, so when we got a new PC, and it came with McAfee, I kept the McAfee. That doesn't mean I won't come to hate it sooner or later, but so far so good.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

McAfee sucks of late. Go with AVG free. You can't beat the price and it's hassle free, to boot.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

s1m0n wrote:McAfee sucks of late. Go with AVG free. You can't beat the price and it's hassle free, to boot.
I've also had AVG free edition recommended by people I respect, after I was frustrated with NAV. Installed it several months ago and have been very happy with it. No fuss, no bother, and it seems to be doing the job.

Best wishes,
Jerry
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Cofaidh wrote:Have you contacted the McAfee support folks? That's probably your best bet.
It's either a top-price phone line or a free chat-room type thang. Have tried the latter twice now and they don't understand my problem, as, indeed, neither do I, and I don't want to. AVG here I come, I s'pose.

Joseph E. Smith

SteveShaw wrote:
Cofaidh wrote:Have you contacted the McAfee support folks? That's probably your best bet.
It's either a top-price phone line or a free chat-room type thang. Have tried the latter twice now and they don't understand my problem, as, indeed, neither do I, and I don't want to. AVG here I come, I s'pose.
Bring a gun, just in case. :D :wink:
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
You're such a helpful old bugger. :D

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SteveShaw wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
SteveShaw wrote: It's either a top-price phone line or a free chat-room type thang. Have tried the latter twice now and they don't understand my problem, as, indeed, neither do I, and I don't want to. AVG here I come, I s'pose.
I oughta say something about going to Radio Shag at this point, but I won't.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

When you say you tried to "delete" everything McAfee-related, did you mean you tried to delete them by file by file, or did you mean you used the "uninstall" thing?

Just trying to identify files and delete them, or deleting everything in a folder, doesn't work. Bits remain behind. You have to "uninstall" the whole thing.

Did you try uninstalling Zone Alarm?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If it makes you feel better (and it probably won't), Norton's is no better.

I've never been partial to shooting computers....I'm more of the push-'em-off-the-roof kind of guy.

:D

"Bounce the server." :boggle: :twisted: :lol:

--James.tar.gz
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

I had similar problems with upgrading McAfee. Its amazing how much will fix itself by rebooting several times. Also, try launching the Security Centre and examining each part of the McAfee packages. Just reviewing this stuff enabled McAfee to clear a lot of the reported problems. Also, you will get these messages if you have not purchased/upgraded all aspects of the McAfee suite.

Having passed the upgrade hurdles, the most annoying behaviour I see is that everyday when it checks for updates, it tells me I am out of date and must go to McAfee's web site. This is merde. They are just trying to get me to buy more feature packages. Once I learned to ignore this, I was able to reduce time spent on daily updates.

One of the other annoying things I have run into with McAfee is that it blocks one of the images on my own home page and refuses to let me see it. I have fought and forced it to confess that the image file is being blocked, but won't tell me where is this blocking is occurring, so that I can't clear it. Aaaarrrrrrrggggghhh!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

SteveShaw wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
SteveShaw wrote: It's either a top-price phone line or a free chat-room type thang. Have tried the latter twice now and they don't understand my problem, as, indeed, neither do I, and I don't want to. AVG here I come, I s'pose.

You know me, 'happy to be of serrrrvice'.