Any DSL customers out there?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any DSL customers out there?

Post by The Weekenders »

After enduring an often failing and 4 yr old modem, I ordered a new one from SBC. It came, but I dreaded installing it, anticipating hours on the phone with them to massage it into operation. I waited for almost a week.

So I plugged it in. And it works without any setting changes.

Am I missing some important thing I was supposed to do? I mean, it works, but surely I was supposed to trip down the path of helplessness for hours or days, listening to endless muzak while I traversed the levels of technicians from bombay up to, oh, i don't know, maybe Phoenix.

They sent me a bunch of new filters too. Am I supposed to swap out all the old ones or do they not wear out?

Well, it's faster anyway. I went from an old Motorola 4000 Speedstream to a Siemens 4100 Speedstream. Big deal. But, it's half the size!

If yer dsl-geeky, post some answers...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

When I installed my earthlink DSL, the modem itself was pretty much plug and play. I had to change some settings on the computer, and that took a couple of phone calls -- one to India and one to Nebraska after I refused to deal with the person in India. Yours probably went so easily because the computer was already set up for their DSL.

I don't know about those filters, but it can't hurt to have extras.

Now you need to try an advanced skill project -- order the wireless router and connect it to an X-Box.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If it works, it works.

You know my answer, if it ain't broke...

Disclaimer: I am SO not responsible for anything...uh...nasty...that appears on your computer, like viruses, or malware, or pictures of naked masticators.

You DO have a hardware firewall, after your modem, but before your computer(s), right? Please tell me you do...I'll sleep so much better.

--James
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I've had my present DSL modem so long I hardly remember what was involved in setting it up. But, I remember it was surprisingingly easy.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, when I first got DSL, the tech came and set it up and seemed to do something. That was four years ago.

The modem was not reconnecting after sleep mode, so I would have to turn off the computer, unplug the modem for 30 seconds, replug, reboot and it was fine (the famous "power cycle"). The tech told me that the modems last about 2 years, so mine was 2 over. After the rebate, the modem is basically free and I got faster service for $10 less per month for the next year, when it is scheduled to go up to $4 more than what I was paying (fwiw, I pay $20 a month for DSL "Premium", bundled with my house phone and calling plan, which are additional. I think its probably a good deal. I used to be a cable guy, but when I moved to this house, it wasn't offered in the 'hood. So I don't want to change my email addy yet again...

Evidently they want my business.

As for firewall, I believe SBC Yahoo (or whatever they call themselves now) do have something up and I am a Mac user so I think I am only on the NSA snoop list. I blew it and revealed my email address just ONE TIME, and it opened the floodgates of spam to my email account. They filter a lot of it, about 2/3 or so but I still get a lot.
NEVER click on the screen to "get a free Ipod" okay??? It's not worth it.

Anyway, Dale, if you ever have to use the infamous power cycle on a semi-continuous basis, it might be time for a new modem.
Last edited by The Weekenders on Tue May 30, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Filters shouldn't wear out...they basically take the large pipe of your DSL phone line, and filter out all of the data portion using solid state components, leaving only the data portion. That's why you hear static if you don't use them.

All solid state electronics can burn out eventually, but it'll be a rare thing in this case, I think.

I threw DSL over for fibre optic service 2 years ago...at 20 times the speed for $10.00 more a month, it can't be beat ;) I can download an entire windows service pack in about 3 minutes
Last edited by Wanderer on Tue May 30, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks, Wand. I am putting it in the box with the naughty old modem for future possible use.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Seriously, folks, you need some kind of hardware firewall. For less than $100 you can do so much towards protecting your computer and yourself.

A computer, no matter what kind, that sits on a broadband network is a nice, juicy target. In a recent study, it took 6 minutes for an unprotected fresh install of Windows XP to be detected and compromised, not running a browser or anything, just connected and sitting there.

A hardware firewall sits between your computer and your modem and stops your computer from being visible to or responding to any attempt to compromise the computer.

There are software firewalls, for instance Zonealarm, and they are much better than nothing, but no software firewall is as secure as simply a good hardware firewall.

Several companies make them, and there are pros and cons of different models, but none of that is as important as simply this: you need one.

In all seriousness, your computer may be functioning as a spam relay or lichen repository and you'd never know.

This is as serious a post as I've ever made, and I'm being very straight up.

--James
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

peeplj wrote:Seriously, folks, you need some kind of hardware firewall.
...terror!...evil!...doom!...
wow, what scaremongering! you don't need a hardware modem. get zonealarm for free, get a decent virus scanner and an anti spyware package and you'll be fine. As long as you keep everything up to date you shouldn't have any problems.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

chrisoff wrote:
peeplj wrote:Seriously, folks, you need some kind of hardware firewall.
...terror!...evil!...doom!...
wow, what scaremongering! you don't need a hardware modem. get zonealarm for free, get a decent virus scanner and an anti spyware package and you'll be fine. As long as you keep everything up to date you shouldn't have any problems.

I agree with the scaremongering. I have a hardware firewall and a popup blocker. I detest most anti-virus software. They are intrusive to the point of madness.

It's not too hard to avoid unwanted crap. Don't open spam. Avoid sites known to download filth. The worst sites are free screensaver sites, joke sites, free game sites and some others. Run Ad-Aware frequently. I also use Window Washer to keep my hard drive and registry squeeky clean.

The worst thing I've gotten in three years of DSL use is Winhound which Ad-Aware wiped out.
djm

Post by djm »

The only genuine DSL modem problem I have ever seen is where the class of DSL modem you have does not match the type of line card at the telco end of your phone line. If you got your DSL modem through your telco, or purchased a brand/model to their specification, there should be no problems.

As for the concerns about hardware firewalls, that is what I use my DSL modem for - I turn it off when not in use. This means I am instantly protected from evil hacker armies of darkness. Also, I run the full McAfee suite of tools/protectors.

The line filters keep the data frequency spectrum from intruding on the voice frequencies so that you don't hear them and they don't hear you. They do not wear out. One per line. They don't change just because you changed modems. Data frequencies are still data frequencies regardless of DSL modem type.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Flyingcursor wrote:Avoid sites known to download filth.
but what if you want to download filth? isn't that what the internet is for?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

"Filth" is such a weighted, emotionally charged, and judgmental word. How about "naughty bits"?
Avoid sites known to download naughty bits.
See -- doesn't that sound far less disgusting? Why, it almost rings musical.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I don't want to call anyone naive, so I'll just say: hear me now; believe me later.

--James
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

chrisoff wrote:
but what if you want to download filth? isn't that what the internet is for?
gonzo914 wrote:
"Filth" is such a weighted, emotionally charged, and judgmental word. How about "naughty bits"?
Avoid sites known to download naughty bits.
See -- doesn't that sound far less disgusting? Why, it almost rings musical.

HOLD IT!!! I didnt' mean "that" kind of filth. I meant spyware, pop ups and unwanted bad computer stuff.

Heaven forbid I would ever, in a million years, denigrate naughty bits.

Some of my best friends are naughty bits. If it weren't for naughty bits there'd be no point in the internet.