W

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

W

Post by MarkB »

'W' Gets Its Own Place in Swedish Language
Sun Apr 23, 3:20 AM ET

The letter 'W' has entered the mainstream of the Swedish language, getting its own section for the first time in the country's most respected dictionary.

While 'W' has long been a letter in its own right in other Nordic languages, Swedish linguists have always viewed it as a lesser sibling of the letter 'V,' as the two letters are pronounced identically in Swedish.

The few Swedish words that use 'W' have generally been borrowed from other languages — such as "watt," "walkie-talkie" and the "World Wide Web" — and have so far always been lumped under the 'V' section in dictionaries.

Sweden is called "Sverige" in Swedish and its language is named "Svenska."

But the Swedish Academy, which awards the Nobel Prize in literature and whose members are considered the guardians of the Swedish language, decided it was time for 'W' to come out of the shadows.

The letter, called "double-v" in Swedish, "can no longer be sorted in under the single V," the academy said when it introduced the 13th edition of its dictionary this week.

The change means that the Swedish language, at least according to the academy, now has 29 letters instead of 28.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Neat!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I want to see Þ (thorn) and ð (eth) reintroduced to the English alphabet.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Nanohedron wrote:I want to see Þ (thorn) and ð (eth) reintroduced to the English alphabet.
Damn right! I'll second that (even though I always called the second one "dhagaz", and the first one "tharn").

D'yez think there's any chance of the Irish language recognising the letter "Q"?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I want to see Þ (thorn) and ð (eth) reintroduced to the English alphabet.
Damn right! I'll second that (even though I always called the second one "dhagaz", and the first one "tharn").

D'yez think there's any chance of the Irish language recognising the letter "Q"?
It's functionally there as a broad consonant, anyway.

"Tharn" and "dhagaz"? Where are those names from?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:"Tharn" and "dhagaz"? Where are those names from?
Ye Olde Englishe writing had several characters that are still used in other Nordic alphabets, but which disappeared from English long ago as Latin and French increased their influences. The character called "tharn" looks a lot like the modern "Y", but was pronounced "th". It is the root of the problem of the word "Ye", which never did exist in English. People saw the character tharn in older documents and misinterpreted the word as "Ye" when it was all along pronounced "The".

Neat, eh?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:"Tharn" and "dhagaz"? Where are those names from?
Ye Olde Englishe writing had several characters that are still used in other Nordic alphabets, but which disappeared from English long ago as Latin and French increased their influences. The character called "tharn" looks a lot like the modern "Y", but was pronounced "th". It is the root of the problem of the word "Ye", which never did exist in English. People saw the character tharn in older documents and misinterpreted the word as "Ye" when it was all along pronounced "The".

Neat, eh?

djm
Yes, I knew that, but my question was about the names. I've known them as "thorn" and "eth" (or "edh", if you like). "Tharn" is familiar enough, but "dhagaz" is utterly unknown to me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Anyone? Google is of no help whatsoever.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Nanohedron wrote:Anyone? Google is of no help whatsoever.
You find that surprising?

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

. . . Oooo! Something educational! . . . <bookmarks thread> . . .
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Uh... Bet you can't guess what went through my mind when I saw this thread title.

But then I realised that this was the pub, not the rubber room, so I took a look. :D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

buddhu wrote:Uh... Bet you can't guess what went through my mind when I saw this thread title.

But then I realised that this was the pub, not the rubber room, so I took a look. :D
Waldco? :)
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dubhlinn wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Anyone? Google is of no help whatsoever.
You find that surprising?

Slan,
D. :wink:
Less and less.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Sorry, Nano. I've been at work and whatnot, or I would have answered ye. I came across these letters first as Runes, and the names stuck with me. If you Google "Futhark" (the name of the alphabet) you might get something along the right lines.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!