MPH -- anyone here have one?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

MPH -- anyone here have one?

Post by rh »

Anyone here have a Master's in Public Health? What are you doing with it? Just curious, sometimes i think about doing one of the distance learning MPH programs, but i'd like to get an idea of what kind of professional options it would open up.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My sister has a MPH. In the course of her learning she had to do a semester in a hospital where she discovered the world of epidemiology. So she went back to school (for at least the fifth time, she has a BS in English/Library science, an RN, and a BSN) and got a PhD in epidemiology.

I have a friend with a MPH who does work in the field. She works for a thinktank in Washington, doing policy papers.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I don't have one, but I have also thought about getting one. In fact, my boss really wants me to go to grad school for either a MSN or a MPH. The most obvious area it would open up for career options would be in a public health department in an administrative role - a health officer, a director, something like that. There's a lot of opportunities in the whole public health emergency preparedness/bioterrorism/pandemic planning arena, since that's where the money is right now. Of course, with a MPH you could also teach. The whole epidemiology area is a big one too and there aren't enough epidemiologists.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

MPH is no longer recognized here. We only have KPH now.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

A nurse where I work is getting her MPH because she wants to work more extensively with Peace Corps in Nepal.