I have seen the future of Irish music and its name is Oisre

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I have seen the future of Irish music and its name is Oisre

Post by Dale »

....and two out of three members are asleep in my house right now.

http://www.oisre.com

Dale
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: I have seen the future of Irish music and its name is Oi

Post by Tyler »

DaleWisely wrote:... two out of three members are asleep in my house right now...

Dale
You let those people go right this instant, Dale! I thought we went over this already, kidnapping is ILLEGAL, and this time the judge wont be so leniant with you, despite your good intentions! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I wonder what prompted the title Snot Rocket.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

:lol:

The way they slipped from the second part of the Ravelled Hank into Miss McGuinness was sort of surprising but the future of Irish Music? Really Dale, you should go out more. :P
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Perhaps he means "future" as in, "When we old farts are dead,
these kids will be the ones playing the tunes."
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I played a tune or two with Zac up at Swannanoa - good times!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I can't help but pronounce their name as though it were French, even though I know it's probably not...
fearfaoin wrote:Perhaps he means "future" as in, "When we old farts are dead,
Dale is not old. He is vintage. Thankyouverymuch.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote: Dale is not old. He is vintage...
That's why we keep him in the wine cellar! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Under the floorboards? :o
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Ever see that movie, The People Under the Stairs? :P
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I know, they sound nice and play well.

There are literally hundreds and thousands of young Irish people playing and waiting in the wings, priming themselves, bristling wit hcreativity and skill. Compared to what I generally hear these guys still sound like they've been rehearsing a lot.

Last week I was waiting for my son to finish his whistle class with Brid Donohue. Inside someone was playing through tunes very slowly. I alter asked him was it Brid giving them new tunes 'no' he said 'a few of the older ones (he meant thirteen year olds) were playing. There was just a life and finesse in the playing that would make me think I heard an example of the future of Irish music. Hard to put the finger on the difference, has to do wit henvironmental factors, continuity and all that.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: That's why we keep him in the wine cellar! :P
I don't watch movies, sorry. I feel they are too "of this world" for me to watch. I also don't watch television or tie my shoes backwards on the third Sunday of every month while wearing a purple sweater and doing yoga, either, so please don't ask.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Cranberry wrote: Under the floorboards? :o
I don't watch movies, sorry. I feel they are too "of this world" for me to watch. I also don't watch television or tie my shoes backwards on the third Sunday of every month while wearing a purple sweater and doing yoga, either, so please don't ask.
Hey, everything's cool by me, as long as you don't take more than seventy steps on the Sabbath :P :P :P
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:
I know, they sound nice and play well.

There are literally hundreds and thousands of young Irish people playing and waiting in the wings, priming themselves, bristling wit hcreativity and skill. Compared to what I generally hear these guys still sound like they've been rehearsing a lot.

Last week I was waiting for my son to finish his whistle class with Brid Donohue. Inside someone was playing through tunes very slowly. I alter asked him was it Brid giving them new tunes 'no' he said 'a few of the older ones (he meant thirteen year olds) were playing. There was just a life and finesse in the playing that would make me think I heard an example of the future of Irish music. Hard to put the finger on the difference, has to do wit henvironmental factors, continuity and all that.
I think, at one extreme, you have people playing slick, lively well-rehearsed music which is fluent and technically very proficient while at the other extreme you have playing where the focus is on a kind of depth and the playing might be, but needn't be, rougher. It would sound more spontaneous. Well played, I think both styles are lively and appealing. I don't think that the slick suff comes only from America.

I only have a slow connection at home so I only listened to the fragment from the first album track. I thought it was lively and I enjoyed it. But it is definitely down the slick end of the spectrum. Straight after, I played Kitty Lie Over which I think is down the profound end of the spectrum.

I prefer profundity but I enjoy both. I think this distinction applies not just in ITM but in every art and roots music. Unlike some, I actually think that the music is richer for having both approaches. I do think it's a shame when the slick ones get all the attention though.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I've met both Julian and Zac at the 2004 Florida Tionol. I agree that their recorded efforts have a sound that is a bit unpolished and all, but these two young fellas are each very competent and excellent musicians. It'll be pretty exciting to hear them when they hit my age... providing I am still among the corporeal. :D :lol: