Christmas Presents!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Christmas Presents!

Post by OnTheMoor »

Anything you're really proud of this year? Nothing better than finding a great present for someone and I think I got some good ones.

Our old Video8s are being transferred to DVD as I type for ma and pa. Quite anxious to see them.

Then I got my girlfriend a bunch of tea stuff. Don't get it myself, just dirty water, but she's a tea nut, so hopefully she likes.

Anyone else?
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've got several I'm happy about, but my hubby and daughter sometimes lurk here, so I'm saying nothing until after Christmas.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Actually Redwolf this is best time to lead them on and astray. Think of the fun you could have.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I'm not doing Christmas gifts in the traditional manner this year.
I'm trying to find an act of service that I can do for my loved ones instead that may mean more than anything material I can give them.
I've mentioned in another thread that I'm doing pro-bono mechanical work for some families and others that I know about. That's my present to them this year.
I really am very sic and tired of Commercial Christmas so I'm not participating in the traditional manner.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Tyler Morris wrote:I'm not doing Christmas gifts in the traditional manner this year.
.........................................................I really am very sic and tired of Commercial Christmas so I'm not participating in the traditional manner.
I am not...gimme gimme gimme :lol: jk Its always been just about getting together in my family. I have almost started shopping.... :)
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, it's not great but it's sort of funny. I got my husband this rack you put together to make jerky in the oven. The pieces of meat go on skewers which are set across a frame and the meat hangs down. If it doesn't collapse, it might save some time spent turning pieces of jerky and the cleaning up might not be as bad. The racks from the last batch he made are still hidden in the broiler, I noticed :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I got a cello for my husband. That has been his childhood dream and I just hope he is still enthusiastic enough to take lessons and learn to play it.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

claudine wrote:I got a cello for my husband. That has been his childhood dream and I just hope he is still enthusiastic enough to take lessons and learn to play it.
That's great Claudine, keep on him.
djm

Post by djm »

OTMoor wrote:keep on him
He'd probably like that better than the cello. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cynth wrote:Well, it's not great but it's sort of funny. I got my husband this rack you put together to make jerky in the oven. The pieces of meat go on skewers which are set across a frame and the meat hangs down. If it doesn't collapse, it might save some time spent turning pieces of jerky and the cleaning up might not be as bad. The racks from the last batch he made are still hidden in the broiler, I noticed :lol: .
No greater love..

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I got my wife a Kawai baby grand piano and a Bleazey flute earlier this year. She was playing both yesterday - well worth the substantial cost to see the look on her face.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I decided to do something less commercial for Christmas too - so instead of buying gifts for my siblings and spouses, I decided I'd make a donation to a charitable cause they (and I) support. But now the problem is, I can't decide on what cause to donate to! Well, I have for one sibling, it was pretty easy, but for the others, I'm not sure. I think this may be more difficult than buying them gifts!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

rebl_rn wrote:I decided to do something less commercial for Christmas too - so instead of buying gifts for my siblings and spouses, I decided I'd make a donation to a charitable cause they (and I) support. But now the problem is, I can't decide on what cause to donate to! Well, I have for one sibling, it was pretty easy, but for the others, I'm not sure. I think this may be more difficult than buying them gifts!
We've done that in my family for several years now.
We used to give to the Food Bank in my home town (where my folks still live) but the past few years my Mom suggested giving to whichever organization we pleased, in their name...
Last year, I donated to Doctors Without Borders.
I haven't chosen for this year yet, either.

M
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

help!!!!

Henry street Dublin, one hour ago!!

I had to take refuge in this internet cafe!!

Going to try and brave the crowds and head to the palace bar for a guiness and hot whiskey!!

Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
missy

Post by missy »

I just got mine - a new, chromatic bass mountain dulcimer! The luthier got here about an hour and a half ago.

I swore I would never go chromatic - but with Tom playing his resonator dulcimer (termed the dulcinator), I need to have the option of chromatic runs to fit.

I'll try to get a picture or two of it up on our website in the next day or two. The soundboard if flamed redwood, and it's just gorgeous.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com