Be Here Now

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Be Here Now

Post by Doug_Tipple »

In this modern world of multi-tasking, i.e. driving a car, smoking a cigarette, and carrying a conversation on the cell phone, I am beginning to react in a negative manner.

Today, I was trying to finalize a purchase at an office supply store. All of the checkout clerks were wired with headsets and were answering the telephone, communicating amongst themselves, and trying to process transactions at the checkout, all at the same time. As I was attempting to check out, I had a question about the pricing (It was a sale item). I could tell that the clerk was talking to someone, but she was obviously not hearing what I was saying. She kept asking me to swipe my card. Sometimes I long for the day when a person was asked to do only one thing at a time. That seems a reasonable request.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I hate that everyone is expected to multi-task these days. Not only because of the rudeness that it can cause (as your experience shows), but because of the simple fact that I can't multi-task.

OK, I can walk and chew gum at the same time, but that's about the extent of my multi-tasking abilities. I can't talk on the phone and watch TV at the same time. I can't drive and talk on my cell phone, the couple of times I've tried to do it I've scared myself. I can't listen to music while I'm trying to do anything that requires thinking. Forget about trying to have a couple of different conversations while trying to do some other work at the same time.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

It's all getting pretty nerve-wracking. But Doug, I think it really is that we are getting older. Isn't this how older people have always felt. Like the world was going to hell in a hand basket? Too much rushing around and noise? You're considered a slacker if you get eight hours of sleep. I also hate the phrase "Swipe your card". What does swipe mean? I thought it meant to steal. I am only just starting to know what they are talking about when they say it. Another thing, it wouldn't hurt if people would enunciate more clearly. Oh, see, it's my hearing. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cynth wrote:It's all getting pretty nerve-wracking. But Doug, I think it really is that we are getting older.
I am not as old as you guys ( :P ), but I have noticed an increase in this as well.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I am guilty of the age thing. It seems my hearing is not what it used to be. I have had several encounters with cashiers who blurted out some instruction or question too softly and/or all jumbled together like it was one word. On one occasion I had to ask her to repeat it four times and I still only got enough of it to decline the offer of a "special" three year warranty on my purchase.
I, also, don't multitask well. I attribute that to being a male. My wife can juggle several things at once but I often think she would do them all better if she did only one at a time. :wink:
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

burnsbyrne wrote:I am guilty of the age thing. It seems my hearing is not what it used to be. I have had several encounters with cashiers who blurted out some instruction or question too softly and/or all jumbled together like it was one word. On one occasion I had to ask her to repeat it four times and I still only got enough of it to decline the offer of a "special" three year warranty on my purchase.
I, also, don't multitask well. I attribute that to being a male. My wife can juggle several things at once but I often think she would do them all better if she did only one at a time. :wink:
I can't play a whistle because my brain won't let my fingers multitask. I fear that this is incurable. And I've tried, God how I've tried.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Maybe it's partially an age related condition but I'm capable of multitasking when I have to. The big question for me is "why"?

I'm fed up with the notion, prodded and encouraged by popular media, that everyone should always be busy with 20 things at once. Why?

When you step back and take a good look there are very few things that require such immediate attention that you cannot at least finish what you're doing before moving on to the next task.

I get especially get annoyed when I see people at the coffee shop (not Starbucks) or on an airplane with stacks of file folders and a laptop who seemingly feel compelled to be at their desks twenty four hours a day.

The cell phone advertising is equally guilty of propagating the idea that you are somehow less than human if you aren't always within easy reach of everyone on earth.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I'm okay with multi-tasking and want more of it. I get frustrated by the store clerk who is serving someone ahead of me and has to suspend that transaction. For example the customer ahead goes off for another item. The clerk stands there and smiles. I assume in supermarkets it's because the register can only handle one order at a time, but it happens in other settings too. It seems like service providers are trained to see finish every interaction before acknowledging the next person.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Not to hijack this thread, or worse, necessitate it moving to the Controversial forum--

But, Doug's post reminds me of a conversation I was having last night with a friend of mine who is a Catholic priest. He recommended the work of an spiritual author who talks about the impediments to the "felt presence of God," in modern, Western life. There is so many and so much connections now among people that people are less and less able to actually connect. And there's a risk in these lifestyles of not having enough space or time or channels or energy--or whatever it is--to detect the presence of the Divine.

Allowing of course for those of you who don't have it or believe it anyway.

And Merry Christmas to us all.

Dale
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Should work on the main reference desk of a library in a major city. We have six telephone lines, three desks and only three librarians if that, mostly two at a time to look after all the needs.

I have been helping people solve an internet problem at their terminal with someone else butting in and asking if I know if I have a book in the library, meanwhile the telephones are ringing, all at the same time. By the time I get back to my desk I have four voice messages that I have to answer, three email Ask a Librarian questions that also need to be answered, and five people lined up looking for help. The other librarian at the desk is in the same boat.

And in the new year they want to do a trial project of instant messaging reference questions at our reference desk, at the same time with all the other aspects that the public can reach us.

But I am also finding that people are ruder, impatient, and they can't and won't wait for an answer. While helping someone locate a book or helping them with an assignment, I (we) have been chased and followed by other people wanting help "immediately" and refuse to wait their turn at the desk. I have also been told to answer the dam question pretty fast, that they can't wait for me to get back to them.

We have been threaten because we just didn't find the answer the person wanted, even when we spent time finding what they needed in another library (at one of our branches or the university library). We are the biggest public library in the city but even we don't have everything everybody needs at the time they needed it.

You aren't multitasking until you have worked on a library's referenced desk.

At the end of the day, I have very little respect or liking for the general public these days and it crosses all ethnic, social, economic classes! In our instant gratiification and I'm more important than you attitude, no wonder graduating librarians aren't going into public library service.

I CAN'T AND WON'T WORK AT LIGHT SPEED

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I've discovered as I get old(er) that I'm simply fed up with being nice all the time, sick of being polite and letting the person in front of me go back for something else, tired of laughing with the clerk as she stops to change the paper in her register or to ask the manager walking by if she can have Friday off. I'm afraid I'm turning into a "character." I let people know how I feel much more than I ever used to... and it's frequently negative. If I had a question for a clerk who was obviously talking to someone else while "helping" me, I'm afraid I'd say something very much to the point.

And... one little multi-tasking thing that annoys me is the dayplanner. I've always said that anybody who needs a dayplanner needs to reevaluate their life.

Simplify, folks, s-i-m-p-l-i-f-y. :)

Susan
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

RIGHT ON SUSAN!

MarkB[/b]
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I can't multi-task so I'm sticking with C&F and ignoring the work I should be doing.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

jbarter wrote:I can't multi-task so I'm sticking with C&F and ignoring the work I should be doing.
Hey, maybe I can multi-task after all.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
djm

Post by djm »

MarkB, get a number system (as in "Take a Number"). People dread seeing these systems because they know you can make them toe the line with it regardless how important they think their needs.

For line-ups at places I go to a lot I retaliate by doing things I know they hate, like walk out and leave a cart full of groceries in the line. Or if I have to sit twenty minutes in a drive-through after giving my order, and they tell me they don't have what I want by the time I finally get to the window, I just cancel the rest of the order that they have already assembled. Stuff like this bothers them, but they get the message, too.

I agree about dayplanners. I hate to be regulated, even by myself. I prefer to let things go to hell and then see what really needs attention at the end of it.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.