SHOUTING in songs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

SHOUTING in songs

Post by buddhu »

As an incurably immature fan of punk and thrash metal I do like some of my playlist to feature good musical shouting. Here are some of my favourite shouters:

1) Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters and Nirvana
Intensity, endurance, stamina, and sheer quality. Mr Grohl is the unbeaten king of splendid shouting
2) Lemmy from Motorhead
A kind of favourite heavy metal uncle. He earns his place for long service and inspiration
3) Napalm Death
Don't remember the singer's name, but one of the first to get away with that unspeakably silly vocal style
4) Shane and Spider from The Pogues (who I'm off to see again next month :))
Even if neither of these gents ever shouted again, their version of Waxies' Dargle is qualification enough.

Marvellous stuff. :P
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Deep Purple, Child in Time.
awesome.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Oh yeah, squeaky ole Ian Gillan.

Good track, Amar ;)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I suppose it's more pop than punk, but I dig Tracy Bonham's
Mother, Mother in which she crescendos into the shout:
"I'm losing my miiiiIIIIIIND -- EVERYTHING'S FINE!"
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Talking Heads, anyone? :P

You couldn't possibly call David Byrne's vocals singing!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sinéad O'Connor, Never Get Old
Sinéad O'Connor, Troy
Sinéad O'Connor, Mandinka
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:...
I love that song, Cran :). That was in the days before she went all annoying...
Jack

Post by Jack »

buddhu wrote:
Hah. I've heard a lot of people say that before she became a Catholic priest or before she had the whole "Pope incident" she made good music but now she doesn't, but I disagree. I believe a lot of people dislike her political/theological views so they dismiss her music as crap, when it's really not. She's a first-rate musician, who just happens to be a little bit crazy.

At any rate, "Never Get Old" has some spine-tingling shouting. I really hesitate to call it shouting, though, because that's just how her voice works. It's really beautiful.

Another song by her which I hesitate to suggest is "Fire On Babylon." It's a song about child abuse and I guess it does have a lot of shouting, but I've never thought of it as shouting, more as singing with A LOT of force and power, and she does it very very well.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cranberry wrote:At any rate, "Never Get Old" has some spine-tingling shouting. I really hesitate to call it shouting, though, because that's just how her voice works. It's really beautiful.
It's wierd how she can do that. "I Am Stretched On Your Grave" is almost a sustained wail...
Jack

Post by Jack »

fearfaoin wrote:
Cranberry wrote:At any rate, "Never Get Old" has some spine-tingling shouting. I really hesitate to call it shouting, though, because that's just how her voice works. It's really beautiful.
It's wierd how she can do that. "I Am Stretched On Your Grave" is almost a sustained wail...
Almost? Hehe...nobody I know really has a voice with as much stamina as hers. I love the way she can manage to keep such a high-velocity force of pure vocal sound for so long, so well.

"This Is The Last Day Of Our Aquaintance" is good, too.

And her version of "Paddy's Lament," is, I think, the best anti-war song I've ever heard. She literally becomes the ghost in that song and literally makes me cry when she sings it.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:
buddhu wrote:
Hah. I've heard a lot of people say that before she became a Catholic priest or before she had the whole "Pope incident" she made good music but now she doesn't, but I disagree. I believe a lot of people dislike her political/theological views so they dismiss her music as crap, when it's really not. She's a first-rate musician, who just happens to be a little bit crazy.

At any rate, "Never Get Old" has some spine-tingling shouting. I really hesitate to call it shouting, though, because that's just how her voice works. It's really beautiful.

Another song by her which I hesitate to suggest is "Fire On Babylon." It's a song about child abuse and I guess it does have a lot of shouting, but I've never thought of it as shouting, more as singing with A LOT of force and power, and she does it very very well.
She's not at all crap. I prefer the vitiolic stuff to her quiet moments, but she makes good records. That said, I quite liked that 'Nothing Compares' one until it got played to death on UK radio. Grr... why do they have to do that?

I can't bear to watch her in interviews though. That's the context in which I find her annoying. 'Madinka' remains my favourite track. I think I still have the single somewhere.
Jack

Post by Jack »

buddhu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
buddhu wrote: I love that song, Cran :). That was in the days before she went all annoying...

She's not at all crap. I prefer the vitiolic stuff to her quiet moments, but she makes good records. That said, I quite liked that 'Nothing Compares' one until it got played to death on UK radio. Grr... why do they have to do that?

I can't bear to watch her in interviews though. That's the context in which I find her annoying. 'Madinka' remains my favourite track. I think I still have the single somewhere.
Sadly, I do know what you're talking about re: interviews. She comes across as contradictory, "not all there," painful to watch, and sometimes just plain weird (like me! haha), especially with all her retirements from the music industry and the way she came out as a lesbian then got married to a man a few months later. She has publicly announced her retirement, I think, three times, mabey four, only to come back a year or two later with a new album.

She seems to be infected with music and seems like one of those people who has to record to stay alive which, I suppose, can be a blessing (for the listeners) and a curse (for her).

As you might know, she didn't sing "Nothing Compares 2 U" for a lot of years because of the overplaying and the way everybody only associated her with one song, but, a year or two ago, she released a live version which featured low whistle and it sounded like a completely different song. I love the live version.
djm

Post by djm »

How about screaming? Does that fit your description?
Robert Plant

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

cran, ye like sinéad, eh?
Jack

Post by Jack »

amar wrote:cran, ye like sinéad, eh?
Mabey.
ImageImage
(Please take note that the singer smilie has no hair!)