The 50's cliche' chord progression challange

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Re: The 50's cliche' chord progression challange

Post by learn2turn »

{Thread revival. - Mod]

I was a kid in the 60s and you could still heard a ton of 50s song on the "oldies" station. Virtually ever Do-Wop song every written had the I vi IV V progression. Some are mentioned above, there are a gazallion others. One of the most clicheest ever "Remember Then."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyxhFVz6Uc

Those songs that weren't the do-wop progression were 12-bar blues I I I I IV IV I I V IV I V (The last bar normally being a turnaround more so than a chord). Two progressions and you could play 98% of the 50s pop tunes.
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Further treatment and a long list -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2750s_progression
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

There are so many--The Jazz canon is full of them. "La Mer" (Beyond the sea) is a I VI IV V that modulates a couple times. Lots of tunes have 1645 section and move in and out of it like "I could write a book." Tuxedo Junction.

Then there are the tritone subs, and the Tadd Dameron variations. As a bass player I loved the 1 6 4 5, it was easy and familiar and you could mess with it
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
john

Post by john »

If these aren't already mentioned:

Happiness is a warm gun. The second part of the song. (I see this is listed on the linked page)

Ashes to ashes. The first part of the verse. Plus the chorus has a variation: 4 5 1 6.

I can't explain. The chorus, only for 4 bars I think. The verses have a very simple structure too.

The ending of Hey Jude is a well used sequence too, isn't it?