Opinions/advice needed: lawnmowers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Opinions/advice needed: lawnmowers

Post by rebl_rn »

As I mentioned a while back on the board, I recently bought a house. I'm finally in the moving in stage (the closing was last week) and one of the things I need to get is a lawnmower. I've never had to buy one before and haven't really mowed a lawn since I was in college.

So, what should I look for in a lawnmower? Any particular likes or dislikes, favorite brands, etc? I have a small front yard but a decent sized back yard.

And, no, I'm not going to get a goat :D

Thanks!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I was going to mention a goat. That really is my favorite type of lawnmower. I'm serious.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cranberry wrote:I was going to mention a goat. That really is my favorite type of lawnmower. I'm serious.
And mine too. But I'm afraid zoning laws affect that sort of thing.
In the interest of ecology, I'd go for an electric. I know there can be problems with running over the cord, and that sort of thing, but I'd look into it to see whether they've come up with solutions to that.

Of course the best solution, environmentally speaking, is a person-powered push mower. They can be quite smooth and pleasant to use these days. The problem we had, though, is that they can't handle fibrous tufts of weeds, or excessive tree litter, such as sticks. The irony is that one must have a rather pristine lawn (best achieved by ecologically disastrous chemical means) to have the kind of smooth green expanse that push mowers work well on. We have a bug, weed-friendly, animal-friendly, scruffy lawn, and we mow it as infrequently as possible.

Personally, I don't want a lawn at all, and hope within the next few years to give it up in favor of a postage-stamp in-town back garden.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Some areas have zoning laws with regards to animals but don't enforce them.

I know of a lady living in the city who has five ducks in her front yard, but she takes very good care of them and provides for them very well, and all of the local humane society groups and animal cops (the people who enforce the laws) know about the ducks (they're in plain view, but they go into a little house during the night and during cold weather, like a dog), but they have never said a bad word to her, and they all see the ducks every day.

So in short, some people aren't so evil about it.

Get a goat, get a goat!!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Although I too am a huge goat proponent, I think that we need to be sensitive to the fact that Wisconsin may have some prejudice towards cows...not to mention that goats are browsers not grazers. They would prefer to debark a tree than eat grass.

Electric and push have similar issues with tall and/or tough grass.

If you pay a neighborhood kid to mow you save the hassle of maintaining a mower and you have one kid that will watch out for your place...
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Perhaps a darling little lamb would do? Where did you say you lived? And do you also have sushi?
Last edited by Lambchop on Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If you want a really posh "don't walk on the grass" lawn you'll need a cylinder mower. A petrol-driven one would be best for a larger area. But if your lawn is for medium to heavy use, deckchairs, kids to play on etc. I'd recommend a rotary mower. For a small area you could use an electric hover mower (I hate 'em myself!), but for a larger area get a petrol-driven rotary mower. They have four wheels and you can adjust the cutting height. You can get ones that you just push or you can get ones with a clutch mechanism that pulls you along and saves you some physical effort. The push ones are adequate for all except very large areas. They come in different cutting widths, typically about 15 inches (OK for moderately-sized areas), though you can get bigger ones (maybe 18 or 21 inches) for large areas. The larger they are the faster the job, but a large machine will be hard work in a small area or one with lots of twists and turns. You need to consider whether you want to collect the clippings. For a lawn that is to be used for recreation it's best if you collect them (so choose a mower with a bag). Compost the clippings. For a lawn that you're not going to walk on much you can leave the clippings on (don't let the grass get too long though!). It does the grass good to leave them on. If you constantly remove the clippings you will need to give the lawn a feed once or twice a year. It's a good idea to spike the lawn once a year to aerate it.

Consider just having a small lawn to sit out on on a hot summer's day with a glass of well-chilled Sauvignon Blanc, and growing organic veg on the rest of the area!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lorenzo

Re: Opinions/advice needed: lawnmowers

Post by Lorenzo »

rebl_rn wrote:So, what should I look for in a lawnmower? Any particular likes or dislikes, favorite brands, etc? I have a small front yard but a decent sized back yard.
If you have a rental store, talk to the mechanic who fixes all the rental mowers. If you have a small engine/lawnmower shop nearby, go with it. Stay away from the big box store stuff.

When I bought mine, that's what I did. I ended up with a Toro. They've been around for a long time, and that's what the rental shop recommended. I haven't been sorry.
djm

Post by djm »

I have had electric mowers forever, but they really can't handle any type of rough/bumpy/hilly ground at all. If you have an easy, level lot they are fine. The cord is not a problem: just start from where your electric outlet is and work outward from there. There's never any need to cross over the power cord. GE doesn't seem to make them any more, but they used to make the best. Get the highest voltage rated motor you can find - at least 9 volt, but 11 is better. They do take a long time to cut the lawn, though, as you may have to go over it 2-3 times to get it all even.

But if your lawn is uneven at all you can save yourself a lot of grief by getting a gas mower. Toro is a very good make, indeed, and will last a lifetime if you look after it.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I have a 10 year old Sears 22-inch mulcher. Shoot the little clippings right back down in the ground. No bagging. I love it. I'm told the clippings are bad for my lawn. But, you see, I regard the lawn as my enemy and so I'm ok with that.

Dale
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm told the clippings are bad for my lawn.
The clippings are natural fertilizer, especially in the south.
As long as you don't let it get to the point where you are blocking
the water from getting into the ground...

I have a Toro self-propelled push mower that I got from Lowes, and it rocks.
I only have a few trees, so in the fall, I hook up the bag and it sucks the
leaves up with the grass clippings, so I don't have to rake (luckily, my town
comes by and vacuums up the leaves and clippings if I dump the bag at the
curb). I would have liked an electric or a human-powered cylinder mower,
but my yard's a bit too large for that. Maybe if they invent a rechargeable
mower that's powerful enough to do the job... the noise reduction alone
would be worth the cost.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

fearfaoin wrote:.... Maybe if they invent a rechargeable
mower that's powerful enough to do the job... the noise reduction alone
would be worth the cost.
Electric mowers are by no means quiet.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm in florida with a lot 75 x 100 plus an 8 x 75 utility easement I keep clean. In the rainy season we need to cut every 7-10 days and in the winter we can go as long as every 3 weeks.

My preference is a no frills 20" rotary with mulching blade 6 horse power gasoline engine push-type mower with 6" wheels. I only use the bagger attachment when I miss a week or two and the weeds start to pop up through the grass.
I dislike the models with larger rear wheels because it changes the angle of tilt and is actually harder to maneuver a mower with the higher leverage point.
I'm with Lorenzo on getting advise from a local mower (small engine) repair shop first. Chances are you'll be seeing them even if you buy new from a retailer like Sears or The Home Depot.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

barbeque the goat. Image
get one of these babies:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My question would be, do you need a lawn at all? Is your house in a city, suburb etc.? Are there restrictions on what you can do and not do, lets say on the front lawn, because here in my city they are encouraging people to plant native plants, flowers and grasses, that are somewhat drought resistent and self seeding, less watering and NO chemicals.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.