Space Exploration

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is your opinion on space exploration?

Absolutely vital for the progression of mankind.
76%
We don't need to stick our noses where they don't belong.
7%
E.T. I'm coming for you!!!
17%
Why the heck should I care?
No votes

Total votes: 29

ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Space Exploration

Post by ShadowBG625 »

As many of you know, Space Shuttle Discovery launched off yesterday, and as to what seemed like a flawless launch. But now, the debris spotted has NASA officials worried. Now, what do you guys think about space exploration? My personal opinion is...whatever floats your boat [or shuttle]. Personally, I like solid ground under my feet.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

there have been SO many advances that have come from the space program (including this little ol' computer I'm typing on now) that I think it's important to continue with it.
Who knows what "discoveries" will come in the future?
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

None of your poll answers work for me. While I don't see space exploration as "absolutely vital for the progression of mankind", I do see it as extremely beneficial. The technology spin-offs from the Apollo missions still impact our daily lives.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
TomB

Post by TomB »

jsluder wrote:None of your poll answers work for me. While I don't see space exploration as "absolutely vital for the progression of mankind", I do see it as extremely beneficial. The technology spin-offs from the Apollo missions still impact our daily lives.

Double that vote

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ditto. Which is why I voted for option 3.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Many of the spinoffs from the space program literally save lives every day. Just about all microcircuitry comes from there including the circuitry in cardiac pacemakers, defibrillator machines etc. Although many people use GPS for recreational use, it also is vital for navigation. Weather satellites allow for advance warning of hurricanes and other severe weather. Those are just a few examples that popped into my mind within a second or two.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Seriously, Those GPS satellites aren't going to launch themselves...
ShadowBG625
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Well I have absolutely nothing against it. I recognize that much good has come from it. You just won't catch me jumping at the next opportunity to join NASA. ( :lol: A little bit of irony...growing up, I always wanted to be an astronaut) My my...how people change.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

jsluder wrote:None of your poll answers work for me. While I don't see space exploration as "absolutely vital for the progression of mankind", I do see it as extremely beneficial. The technology spin-offs from the Apollo missions still impact our daily lives.
That's what I think too.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

I think space exploration is vital to our species, but doubt space travel will ever be routine unless a space elevator is built. I prefer others do the risky initial exploration, and hereby nominate friend & colleague Dr. Hugo Furst for it.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

missy wrote:there have been SO many advances that have come from the space program (including this little ol' computer I'm typing on now) that I think it's important to continue with it.
Who knows what "discoveries" will come in the future?
You're right. Course I still prefer cast iron skillets to Teflon. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

I think we should learn more about "inner" space before we devote so much money, time, and human resources to outer space.

We don't really know what the mind is, or how or why the brain became aware of its own existance. Likewise, we don't have the slightest clue how many animals live at the deepest darkest parts of the ocean, or how the nerpa got to live where it does. And we still haven't found Noah's ark, or the cause of Autism. We haven't discovered how to bring peace to Israel or how to end hunger...there's just so much that we don't know about our own world and ourselves, so much that we don't know how to do here, that, to me, going to study rocks and planets billions of light years away in space seems misguided at best, and like a waste of precious resources at worst.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

There is no simplistic solution to this question. I agree with Cranberry in that there is so much that we need to do on this planet first. I agree that technological spinoffs can come whenever substantial resources are made available for research and development of new technologies. However, this does need to be space exploration. Personally, I would like to see that every man, woman, and child in all of the world would have decent health care. Then, at some point, we can again direct our intentions to the moon and beyond.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Aside from the issue of exploration, we do rely on satellites to such an extent that space programs cannot be abandoned very practically.
Reasonable person
Walden
mukade

Post by mukade »

Eventually, when we have sucked the planet dry, we will need some way of getting off it.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon