Help me make it illegal to burn copies of flag-burning laws!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Help me make it illegal to burn copies of flag-burning laws!

Post by Dale »

I'm starting a movement to pressure legislative bodies to pass laws making it illegal to burn copies of flag-burning laws. SAF-BUL ("Save All Flag-Burning Laws"). Who's in?

Dale
TomB

Post by TomB »

:)

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

I just wish that they would make a law to print them on a Charmin soft material so that I could “recycle” them.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Another misguided adventure! Why do you want to create a special status for flag burning laws? Why shouldn't all laws, passed and unpassed, smart and silly have the right to be protected for all time in their original hard-copy condition? In fact, as we move toward a wholesome strict constructionist future shouldn't all laws (and ideas fior laws) be protected by only allowing them to be written on the stretched, dried skin of a dead animal. The obvious source of all problems of the modern era is that we're conveying our laws to the people in ways that the founders never imagined - digitized electronic impulses! I think Jefferson would be with you. Did he ever throw anything away?
TomB

Post by TomB »

dwinterfield wrote: Did he ever throw anything away?
Possibly a birth certificate or two- they may have been burned.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

TomB wrote:
dwinterfield wrote: Did he ever throw anything away?
Possibly a birth certificate or two- they may have been burned.

Tom
:lol:
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I just want a law banning sunburn.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

A more pragmatic approach might be to make Congress meet only every other year, like some state legislatures. Might slow down the knee-jerk thing in many issues...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

For some strange reason, this whole discussion reminds me of the movie Demolition Man
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Dash

Post by Dash »

I second the proposal for a law banning sunburn.
fearfaoin

Re: Help me make it illegal to burn copies of flag-burning l

Post by fearfaoin »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm starting a movement to pressure legislative bodies to pass laws making it illegal to burn copies of flag-burning laws.
If it's criminal to have copies of laws, then only criminals will have laws.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

The Weekenders wrote:A more pragmatic approach might be to make Congress meet only every other year, like some state legislatures. Might slow down the knee-jerk thing in many issues...
I'm guessing part-time legislators wouldn't help from either of our prespectives. Twenty yrs. or so ago I did some work in NC that their part-time legislature considered. They had a typical long session one year and and short session in the alternate year. I dealt with a legislative staff guy whose responsibility was "D - E - F". They assiged the work alphabetically. He was the only staff resource for Education, Environment and anything else in "D - E - F". Nice guy, very bright but no time for any depth on any issue. Part-time legislatures will get you "knee-jerk" laws because they're understaffed and too busy making a living. God bless them for the commitment because they don't get paid much. Aside from the lawyers and insurance brokers (both groups usually over-represented) being a part-time state rep does little to help put the kids through school.
missy

Post by missy »

"I'm guessing part-time legislators wouldn't help from either of our prespectives"

Considering how many legislators spend so much time running for re-election, or another office, I think a lot of them are part-time right now!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I just want a law banning sunburn.
When I was in the Air Force, it was illegal to get a sunburn and miss work because of it. There was no sunscreen back in those days, either. I stayed up really late at a beach one night and slept on in a sleeping bag outside past sunup. I was lying on my side and got a one-sided sunburn on my face. I went to work with it, so I didn't get fined.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
emmline

Post by emmline »

In consideration of the various uprisings and flames which have sullied the spirit of the pipes forum this year, I'd like to propose a law which would head off bag-learning flaws.