James Doohan has left this earth

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

James Doohan has left this earth

Post by peeplj »

James Doohan, better known to Trekkies worldwide as Senior Engineer James Montgomery Scott (Scotty) has died today. :cry:

His playing of the character Scotty on the original Star Trek is what gave me at an early age both my love for computers and technological gadgetry, as well as a fascination with bagpipes and all things Scottish.

I reckon that now he flies among the stars for real.

Full speed ahead, Mr. Scott; steady as she goes.

--James
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

God rest ye!
Heaven knows ye've earned it!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

A very cool guy.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Raise one up for 'ol Jimmy boy!
:pint:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy

Post by missy »

Beam us up, Scotty......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Scotty was always my favorite character on Star Trek. I remember seeing an interview with James Doohan once and thinking what a nice guy he seemed to be. Ah well.
Paul

Post by Paul »

:( Sad news. Doohan's last performance of Scotty, I believe, was in STNG or Voyager. He had stored himself in a transporter array for about a hundred years and the new crew brought him out of it. It was pretty cool. Does anyone else remember that one?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Scotty was my favorite original-Trek character, as well. I suspect that James Doohan, as Scotty, inspired many folks to become engineers.

Here's to you, Jimmy. :pint:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Paul wrote::( Sad news. Doohan's last performance of Scotty, I believe, was in STNG or Voyager. He had stored himself in a transporter array for about a hundred years and the new crew brought him out of it. It was pretty cool. Does anyone else remember that one?
http://tinyurl.com/b9a9l

I remember it. Exellent one - and there were some funny dialogues between Data and Scotty (particularly at the bar).
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

avanutria wrote:
Paul wrote::( Sad news. Doohan's last performance of Scotty, I believe, was in STNG or Voyager. He had stored himself in a transporter array for about a hundred years and the new crew brought him out of it. It was pretty cool. Does anyone else remember that one?
http://tinyurl.com/b9a9l

I remember it. Exellent one - and there were some funny dialogues between Data and Scotty (particularly at the bar).
If you remember, those dialogues were a tip of the hat to the TOS episode where the Kelvans or someone took control of the Enterprize...

"What is it.?"
/sniffs bottle/
"It's green!"
:lol:
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Sorry to hear it; he was one of my favorites from the original series, also. A brief obit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... altop.html
Seems his last child was born in 2000, when he was 80; though he didn't have much film work in his golden years, he had a full life, I reckon. Here's to him.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Farewell, Jimmy.

Beam him up, God.
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

My sister and her husband met James Doohan at an astronomy convention where he was guest of honor. She said his last child had just been born and he was quite proud. I guess you could say he was 'beaming' with joy!

James gave me much joy as well through his performances.

I will play Amazing Grace for him on the flute... sorry it isn't the pipes, Scotty...
Alan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Alan wrote:I will play Amazing Grace for him on the flute... sorry it isn't the pipes, Scotty...
And I on fife shall also.

He seemed to have good humor in him about more people knowing him as Scotty than as James.

I think the old gentleman would have been touched and proud at the number of eyes that grew damp today when the news became known.

--James
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I just listened to the tribute to him on NPR's All Things Considered. I had known he was in bad health, and this was thought to be coming, but it still gives pause when someone so familiar gets "beamed up" for the final time.
Reasonable person
Walden