Bad enough when "Small World" won't go away!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bad enough when "Small World" won't go away!

Post by Rod Sprague »

If you think having “It’s a Small World After All” stuck in your head is bad, there is a medical condition that is even worse!; http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/12/healt ... html?8hpib (You may have to temporarily sign up with the New York Times web site to read this.)

Rod
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

For those who would rather not register: http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs ... 2/BUSINESS
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:For those who would rather not register: http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs ... 2/BUSINESS
Thank you.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Man, that's weird.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:Man, that's weird.
Can you imagine being a musician with that condition? Yikes.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think it is time to really start paying attention to what music you listen to. I hope the stuff you hear in stores doesn't count if you aren't paying attention to it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:I think it is time to really start paying attention to what music you listen to. I hope the stuff you hear in stores doesn't count if you aren't paying attention to it.
Good Lord. Even ITM isn't a guarantee. If I had to listen to The Dingle Regatta Jig or The Concertina Reel over and over for the rest of my remaining life, I would go MAD. Absolutely bonkers.
missy

Post by missy »

gee - and I thought this only happened when I was a kid and living by the WLW tower! Darn station would bleed over into everything!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

I'm not sure I understand what the concern is with this. I hear music playing in my head constantly - always have. When people talk about getting a tune stuck in their head, I thought it was a common experience, because everyone seemed to be able to relate. If I don't like what's playing, I simply change tunes, but what ever is playing plays constantly until something else starts up a different tune. It may take me a while to even notice that the tune has changed.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the concern is with this. I hear music playing in my head constantly - always have. When people talk about getting a tune stuck in their head, I thought it was a common experience, because everyone seemed to be able to relate. If I don't like what's playing, I simply change tunes, but what ever is playing plays constantly until something else starts up a different tune. It may take me a while to even notice that the tune has changed.

djm
No, the difference is that actual auditory hallucination was what the article is about. I have music going on all the time inside, too, but it's not like I'm actually hearing out loud it as if it were from another source, which is what that condition is.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think it is interesting that you guys are hearing music in your heads constantly. Music is in my head sometimes, but by no means all the time.

I think "getting a tune stuck in one's head" is something that happens to everyone----but it is the opposite of what you can do, djm. They don't like the song and they can't change it so it becomes very annoying. Like if you had to listen to "My Grandfather's Clock" over and over and over wouldn't you want to bang your head on something?
djm

Post by djm »

Not really. I learned a rather profane version of My Grandfather's Clock, so it would probably keep me entertained. :wink:

I remember when my grandmother was dying of cancer, and they kept her doped to the eyeballs on morphine for weeks. She would be singing away at the top of her voice all these old songs from her childhood. When the nurses came in, she'd urge them to go and tell them boys to stop singing outside her window. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

That's kinda creepy.
From the Article wrote:Dr. Aziz believes that people tend to hear songs they have heard repeatedly or that are emotionally significant to them. "There is a meaning behind these things," he said.
Well, had emotional significance. After a while of hearing the same thing over and over, unable to get away or turn it off you'd probably hate it and lothe any meaning/memory behind it.

Yikes! I've heard somewhere before that everything you've heard/done/said is stored in your mind, deep down, hidden where you wouldn't normally have access to recall it all, but it's there. Maybe this is a case where the brain opened a window to an area of that and forgot how to close it. (Not very scientific I know, but.....)

Brains are interesting.....

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:Not really. I learned a rather profane version of My Grandfather's Clock, so it would probably keep me entertained. :wink:

djm
Well?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Flyingcursor wrote:
djm wrote:Not really. I learned a rather profane version of My Grandfather's Clock, so it would probably keep me entertained. :wink:

djm
Well?
I'll second that... well?