Scatological Tune Titles?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Scatological Tune Titles?

Post by thurlowe »

Sorry, had to share...

I just came across two original tunes written and paired by James Kelly: "Touching Cloth" and "Sitting on the Throne." Hmm.

I also looked askance at the title of a tune set when I saw it on a Gaelic Storm CD: "Staining the Grout."

Funny or icky? Creative, or sadly lacking for tune titles? I wonder.

I also have a dark feeling that this has been discussed before on this site. :lol:

Cara
bradhurley

Re: Scatological Tune Titles?

Post by bradhurley »

thurlowe wrote: I just came across two original tunes written and paired by James Kelly: "Touching Cloth" and "Sitting on the Throne." Hmm.
In the liner notes for the CD on which he recorded these tunes, James Kelly wrote, ""Sitting on the Throne" was composed during a very quiet and reflective moment."

Indeed.

And yes, I do think this was discussed before; I remember Peter Laban informing us that the reel commonly known as "Tommy Peoples" (the first tune on the first track on Frankie Kennedy and Mairead ni Mhaonaigh's "Ceol Aduaidh" and also the first tune on the first track of Kevin Crawford's "In Good Company") was originally titled "The Farting Badger."
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

There's always the original/alternate title to "The choice wife": "The wet pussy." I'm sure, like Mrs. Slocomb's remarks, it's really about a cat. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've thought of some tune sets with themes (doesn't matter if they're jigs mixed with reels, etc).
Whiskey Before Breakfast/The Drunken Landlady/ Tripping Up the Stairs
Pull the Knife and Stick it Again/Old Hag, You Have Killed Me/The Hag with the Money.
The rule is you have to use tune names that already exist.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

TonyHiggins wrote:I've thought of some tune sets with themes (doesn't matter if they're jigs mixed with reels, etc).
Whiskey Before Breakfast/The Drunken Landlady/ Tripping Up the Stairs
Pull the Knife and Stick it Again/Old Hag, You Have Killed Me/The Hag with the Money.
The rule is you have to use tune names that already exist.
Tony
I'm gonna rehearse a "girlfriend" set.

The girl who broke my heart/Old hag you've killed me/I buried my wife and danced on her grave.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Don't think it's all that scatological, but "The Monks of the Screw" has always left me wondering...
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

How about "Yippee-yi-ay, Cow Patty"? :boggle:

Or Joe Walsh from Ordinary Man: "Picking up the dog doo and hoping that it's hard."

And, of course, we all know "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road"! :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

bradhurley wrote:In the liner notes for the CD on which he recorded these tunes, James Kelly wrote, ""Sitting on the Throne" was composed during a very quiet and reflective moment."
Sitting? It's surprising how many Irish musos can't spell.

What a difference one letter makes. Twenty years ago in Australia a trio of friends of mine got a one-off gig at a pub that featured big bands and announced coming attractions on a huge cinema-style sign on a high pole.

- So what do call yourselves? says the publican.
- Oh, I dunno... "sh*t", says Paul (a Dubliner)
- "sh*t"? What's that mean?
- Ah, it's Gaelic for "the three of us."

The name was duly hoisted up in big red letters for the world to see and driving by we all got a childish giggle out of it.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I think I'll write a tune and call it Scatological Tune Title. :) At least it won't have to be a good tune with a name like that.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

There's an old time tune called The Old Cat sh*t in the Shavings. There also some dog doo doo words to the tune Ryestraw akd Joke on the Puppy.

Steve
djm

Post by djm »

Hope in Her Soul
The Cunning Runts

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Hope... in... her... Soul...

...still working on it...

Soul? Sole?

nothing. Am I dense? ( don't answer that)

... WAIT A MINUTE. Are we talking good hygiene here? Nothing wrong with that!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

StevieJ wrote:
bradhurley wrote:In the liner notes for the CD on which he recorded these tunes, James Kelly wrote, ""Sitting on the Throne" was composed during a very quiet and reflective moment."
Sitting? It's surprising how many Irish musos can't spell.

What a difference one letter makes. Twenty years ago in Australia a trio of friends of mine got a one-off gig at a pub that featured big bands and announced coming attractions on a huge cinema-style sign on a high pole.

- So what do call yourselves? says the publican.
- Oh, I dunno... "sh*t", says Paul (a Dubliner)
- "sh*t"? What's that mean?
- Ah, it's Gaelic for "the three of us."

The name was duly hoisted up in big red letters for the world to see and driving by we all got a childish giggle out of it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: