Why can one get a virus on the PC even though having Norton

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brigitte
antispam: No

Why can one get a virus on the PC even though having Norton

Post by Brigitte »

It looks like once a year, no matter how carefull with surfing or emails I catch a virus, this time on my laptop. Always having the latest Norton Versioin updates and doing daily scans, again it must have hit me somepoint yesterday. I just cannot get why it happened, no attachments opened which I did not know are from a safe source, no foreign websites visited and the likes. Any idea what else I need to be aware of? Thanks a lot.

Brigitte (typing on the other PC while the laptop is in safe mode scanning for the buggers)
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Hi Bridgett. Long time no see.

I don't know. I had that happen once too when I used McAfee. It might be your firewall is the problem, not the virus scanner.

I don't have any of that bloatware on my PC anymore. I just scan from the online scanning sites. Haven't had a problem in years.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

I do even have a firewall attached to the router. It is so annoying, I am on it for the last 2,5 hours now, having to backup the registry first time ever, going into safe mode and things I normally do not even dream of in my worst computer nightmares. I am a pretty good user but I am scared s...l..s when having to go into safemode and OS-things...... Have a day of today to catch up with work here and now half of it is already waisted on getting the laptop back up running clean.

...and in safe mode it all takes so long, the scan is going for an hour now and still no finishing of it in sight. I just hope that the problem is solved after this scan and I do not have to go in the hosts file which Norton says can be affected, too. :evil:

Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

i have the latest norton too and use ad-aware daily, it's free!! http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

hey, that's 5 cats in a row :o i suppose all viruses are killed by now :lol:

EDIT: it seems that Mc Afee is a lot more reliable concerning viruses en firewall functions, i'm switching to Mc Afee myself next year...
Last edited by lixnaw on Fri May 13, 2005 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Flyingcursor wrote: I just scan from the online scanning sites. Haven't had a problem in years.
But when you download emails, how can you prevent downloading infected files? My daily mail download can be up to 100 emails, many of them spams or infected, this is quite a risk without any scanning programm in the background?
Brigitte (still waiting for the scan to finish....)
(Jean Claude Riber)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Brigitte---I think you must have all emails scanned. My impression was that they were one of the most common sources of viruses. I have the Norton stuff and it is set to scan incoming and outgoing email. I don't think it takes very long----things seem to open instantly, so unless you get awfully long emails I doubt you'll notice a thing. I would change that setting right now!!!!!!!! And remember to update your Norton stuff. :)

Edited to say that I realize now you are probably asking how you would scan emails from the on-line scanning sites, you are not saying that you don't normally scan emails. Sorry! My misunderstanding.

I use that adware and Spybot and they work well. I haven't had Norton say anything else was a virus though.
Last edited by Cynth on Fri May 13, 2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradhurley

Re: Why can one get a virus on the PC even though having Nor

Post by bradhurley »

Brigitte wrote:It looks like once a year, no matter how carefull with surfing or emails I catch a virus, this time on my laptop. Always having the latest Norton Versioin updates and doing daily scans, again it must have hit me somepoint yesterday. I just cannot get why it happened, no attachments opened which I did not know are from a safe source, no foreign websites visited and the likes. Any idea what else I need to be aware of? Thanks a lot.

Brigitte (typing on the other PC while the laptop is in safe mode scanning for the buggers)
Brigitte: the recent versions of Norton Anti-Virus identify spyware as being "viruses," even though they're not. So it could be that Norton is telling you it found a virus during its system scan, but if you look closely you might see that in fact it's just spyware. Furthermore, Norton can't always succesfully delete spyware, so it may stay on your system and get caught again by Norton next time it does a system scan. Better to get a dedicated spyware-zapping program, like Spybot Search and Destroy.

I've been using Norton for years now and it's been totally reliable; I receive dozens of viruses daily by e-mail but my machine has never been infected.
Last edited by bradhurley on Fri May 13, 2005 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Brigitte wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: I just scan from the online scanning sites. Haven't had a problem in years.
But when you download emails, how can you prevent downloading infected files? My daily mail download can be up to 100 emails, many of them spams or infected, this is quite a risk without any scanning programm in the background?
Brigitte (still waiting for the scan to finish....)
Well I don't want to jinx myself but I'm real picky. I sometimes don't even open mail from relatives or friends if I think the've forwarded some nonsense to me. I use the "delete" button a lot. And, as has been mentioned, Adaware is "Da bomb."
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I downloaded a free virus product and tested it by scanning with the just updated Norton and then with the free version of another product. The Free version found a virus that Norton missed.

I now use two free virus scanning products and three free spyware products. I haven't had any further problems.

I use: AVG Free Edition, Avast, Spybot, Adaware, and microsoft antispyware.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Flyingcursor wrote:Well I don't want to jinx myself but I'm real picky. I sometimes don't even open mail from relatives or friends if I think the've forwarded some nonsense to me. I use the "delete" button a lot. And, as has been mentioned, Adaware is "Da bomb."
I'm the same way..I don't open certain file attachements, even from "trusted" sources. Word documents, excel files, and other Office documents can have virus macros attached.

Plus, I don't really trust any "trusted" sources. Everyone can do something dumb...such as open a virus-laden excel file, think it's cool, not know you got infected, and send it on. A have a friend who regularly sends me word documents and excel files that purport to have photographs or jokes imbedded in them. I always think to myself "Why were they stuck in a virusable media, rather than just sending as a plain picture file?"..since I usually can't think of a good reason, the file goes in the trash.

Call me cynical, but it works for me. The only time I've ever got a virus was when I reinstalled Windows on a new box, and connected to the internet to get the critical updates. I happened to get caught by a worm in the 15 minutes between connecting and when I was patched, and it was easy enough to clean out. And since switchin to Firefox and only allowing cookies from a small handful of sites, I don't get any spyware either.

in the last 2 months, Ad-Aware has found absolutely nothing to complain about. Microsoft can try to say that IE isn't really as vulnerable as people say, and that Firefox isn't as secure, but the proof is in the pudding.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

I have sorted it out. Took me nearly 3 hours in total, what a waste of time and a handful of adrenalin going through my venes when I have to follow those restoration instructions step by step.... :o

Unfortunately I have already forgotten what it was called otherwise I could check it up on Symantec again. I thought I understood it was a trojan and definitely had placed itself in the registry, grrrrrrr.

I have been very careful with attachments for the last 6 years since my very first computer crashed after a virus infection and was unrepairable after that. It seems to me that even though when the virus protection and firewall are set to high security level there must be a hole somewhere so these viruses can get through.

Thanks again for all the advice, will have to be even more careful and still I have no idea how I caught this one in the first place.

Have a lovely weekend
Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

On this thread amar listed some security free ware he uses:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=spyware
I use some of them every couple of weeks or so. Not sure they would solve your problem, but they sure get rid of the pop-up ads and the like. Some take awhile to run, but you could do it during your lunch hour or something like that.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

YUP!

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:
And, as has been mentioned, Adaware is "Da bomb."
YUP!!! AdAware is da BOMB BABY!
I run it every other day, and it helps keep even my two year old dinasaur running in top form!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

o.k. I found it on symantec, it is called backdoor.nibu.j discovered March 24, 2005. It is a trojan.
I imagine I should have been safe against it as it is "that" old already with lots of liveupdates meanwhile. I will investigate into the adaware, adware and the others as addons to my current Norton and as this is running out in a months time, see if I replace it with another product mentioned here. Thanks again for all these tips.

Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)