This thread renamed out of respect.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
IRTradRU?
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

This thread renamed out of respect.

Post by IRTradRU? »

Associated Press

VATICAN CITY — Pope John Paul II may have to return to the hospital to have a feeding tube inserted, an Italian news agency reported today. It stressed that no decision had been made.

The APcom news agency, citing an unidentified source, said the 84-year-old pope might have to have the tube inserted to improve his nutrition since he is having difficulty swallowing with the breathing tube that was inserted Feb. 24.
IRTradRU?
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Talk about timing.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

All my prayers are with the pope... but this will be interesting.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Pope May Require Feeding Tube

Post by anniemcu »

IRTradRU? wrote:Associated Press

VATICAN CITY — Pope John Paul II may have to return to the hospital to have a feeding tube inserted, an Italian news agency reported today. It stressed that no decision had been made.

The APcom news agency, citing an unidentified source, said the 84-year-old pope might have to have the tube inserted to improve his nutrition since he is having difficulty swallowing with the breathing tube that was inserted Feb. 24.
Can you link to the article please?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

IRTradRU?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

If he's gotta have one he can be glad he's not here in the good old US of A.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cowtime wrote:If he's gotta have one he can be glad he's not here in the good old US of A.
... and for that vow of celibacy.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

I wonder if the pope is afraid of dying. He's so obviously frail and physically falling apart, I wonder why he doesn't just allow himself to go.

According to him, he will immediately go to heaven to be with Jesus and new pope will be elected in short order, so I don't know why he doesn't just stop hanging on. Unless, of course, it has something to do with ego, which I don't entirely doubt.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:According to him, he will immediately go to heaven to be with Jesus and new pope will be elected in short order, so I don't know why he doesn't just stop hanging on. Unless, of course, it has something to do with ego, which I don't entirely doubt.
Actually, cran, just being the Pope does not guarantee you salvation. I would hope that the Pope would be the first person to admit to that, since it's one of the basic premises of the Catholic faith.
I don't know really if he's TRYING to stay alive really. It may just not be his time.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

excuse this, i'm basically ignorant of Catholicism, now i'm wondering... who hears the Pope's confession? who will administer Last Rites? is any ordained Roman Catholic priest qualified to do this?
there is no end to the walking
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

rh wrote:excuse this, i'm basically ignorant of Catholicism, now i'm wondering... who hears the Pope's confession? who will administer Last Rites? is any ordained Roman Catholic priest qualified to do this?
I would assume that any priest in the Vatican (or really anywhere...it would just be easier I suppose for someone right there to hear it) hears his confessions, and will administer Last Rites. Any Catholic priest is capable of hearing any person's confession, despite his office. So a parish priest from Peoria could conceivably hear the Pope's confessions as well as administer Last Rites. But he does have a confessor that hears his confessions on a weekly basis, from what I understand. I'm not sure if that same priest will also end up administering Last Rites.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
missy

Post by missy »

It's not "Last Rites" anymore, it's "Annointing of the Sick". And you don't need to be "dying" to receive this sacrament, you just need to have the spiritual help that the sacrament will offer. You can also receive this sacrament numerous times.
This was another of the changes of Vatican II.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

All those rituals are so silly, in my view. I'm sure God doesn't care if you were blessed by a pope before you died or delivered any last rites. I'm sure that God cares about what is in your heart and your relationship with him and little or nothing else.

I just cannot fathom a God that says, "You're going to Hell/Purgatory because you didn't go through the proper rituals before you died".
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I think it is a shame that this old man, coming to the end of his days, is still being paraded in public when he is so obviously in such bad health.
I know that a new Pope can't be elected until this one dies but where is the harm in letting him see out his days with dignity and privacy.

His being allowed to retire,in a manner of speaking, is not going to bring about any harm to the Catholic Church.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jack

Post by Jack »

dubhlinn wrote:I think it is a shame that this old man, coming to the end of his days, is still being paraded in public when he is so obviously in such bad health.
I know that a new Pope can't be elected until this one dies but where is the harm in letting him see out his days with dignity and privacy.

His being allowed to retire,in a manner of speaking, is not going to bring about any harm to the Catholic Church.

Slan,
D.
Not surprisingly, I agree.