Blizzard in Boston

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Blizzard in Boston

Post by izzarina »

Just wanted to post to tell all of our Boston area Chiffers to stay safe in this storm. Please let us know how you are when you can. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers throughout the evening as well as tomorrow.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

My grandmother is on Long Island. She wrote:
I will go to the store as soon as I can get out of my driveway. We are having a snow storm tonight that started at 12:00 noon and it is now 10:00 PM at 3 inches per hour. It's suppose to last all through the night till noon tomorrow. It's coming from the west all along the East coast. I don't suppose you get this news there.
I don't miss my driving days in Rochester, that's for sure. I do miss seeing the snow fall outside, while I'm inside and don't have to go anywhere!

I did get to introduce the new word "carsicle" to my British linguist friends, though.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I'll open a new thread with some pics.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I sincerely hope everyone affected by this latest storm is OK, and that you chose to stay indoors and off the roads if at all possible.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Well, it's 6 degrees F and blowing snow, but we still have electricity and cable, so we're all set! Snowblowing later should be interesting, though...

Robin
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

I think the region weathered the storm quite well. This is probably due to the fact that the snow fell in a relatively quick 24 hour period over the weekend, which allowed for easier clean up. I have about 2 feet of powdery snow, although it's tough to measure since it drifted so much.

The ride to work this morning was pretty uneventful. The snow plows did an excellent job clearing everything. The highways had bare pavement and the secondary roads had snow pack. It's going to be below freezing for at least the next week, so there shouldn't be much melting going on.

The best part of the weekend was watching the Patriots dismantle the Steelers last night. Bring on the Iggles!
TomB

Post by TomB »

Well, here in East Hartford, CT., we didn't get quite as slammed as Boston or Cape Cod did, but we got more than enough. Unfortunately, my snowblower decided that it was time to break down. Not sure what happened, basically the impeller works but not with enough strengh to move the snow. It's definitely not because there was too much snow, or it was too heavy, as this is a big honkin' snowblower, an Ariens 824, (I think that's the model). I'm not really Mr. Fix-It, so I'm at a loss for now. Had to break out the shovels and go for it. Not a lot of fun.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

TomB--sorry to hear about your snow blower troubles. You might want to check out the "whistling and single malt whisky" thread after you do all that shoveling!

I'm fortunate to have a dependable snow plower who takes care of the driveway (it's way too long to try to shovel by hand). I still have to spend an hour or so cleaning up around the car and steps. The only downside is that I'm dependent on his schedule, so if he doesn't come by the time I want to be driving somewhere, I'm stuck.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Brewster wrote:TomB--sorry to hear about your snow blower troubles. You might want to check out the "whistling and single malt whisky" thread after you do all that shoveling!

I'm fortunate to have a dependable snow plower who takes care of the driveway (it's way too long to try to shovel by hand). I still have to spend an hour or so cleaning up around the car and steps. The only downside is that I'm dependent on his schedule, so if he doesn't come by the time I want to be driving somewhere, I'm stuck.
Thanks- I've been checking out that thread, actually. I'm not really a scotch/whisky kind of guy, but I might be converted.

Yeah, we should have hired someone, maybe next year, I don't know.

Tom
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Meh.
We northerners don't get too excited about a couple feet of snow. They sure didn't hold up the Eagles/Falcons game because of it.

What I find objectionable is throughout all weekend The Weather Channel forgot there are actually states in between Chicago and Boston. We got a foot in 4 hours. They could have at least mentioned something about that!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB

Post by TomB »

Flyingcursor wrote:Meh.
We northerners don't get too excited about a couple feet of snow. They sure didn't hold up the Eagles/Falcons game because of it.

What I find objectionable is throughout all weekend The Weather Channel forgot there are actually states in between Chicago and Boston. We got a foot in 4 hours. They could have at least mentioned something about that!

Snow stopped way before the game in Philly. They hired about 700 people to help get the snow out of the stands, etc. Pretty cool!

Tom
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

TomB wrote:

Snow stopped way before the game in Philly. They hired about 700 people to help get the snow out of the stands, etc. Pretty cool!

Tom
Very cool. I saw some shots of the little plows clearing the tarp on the field. Apparently they would plow after every 3 inches or so then load the snow into carts to haul it off. It must have been a bit frustrating since by the time they got done the field would be covered again.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB

Post by TomB »

Flyingcursor wrote:
TomB wrote:

Tom
Very cool. I saw some shots of the little plows clearing the tarp on the field. Apparently they would plow after every 3 inches or so then load the snow into carts to haul it off. It must have been a bit frustrating since by the time they got done the field would be covered again.
Yes, I'm sure it was quite the effort. Cool how they just shove the snow from the stands onto "funnel" to the field.

Tom
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Flyingcursor wrote:What I find objectionable is throughout all weekend The Weather Channel forgot there are actually states in between Chicago and Boston.
There are states between Chicago and Boston? :o
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
norseman

Post by norseman »

I'm originally from Fort Dodge, Iowa. I remember a vacation when I was a kid where we were in Georgia and we convinced some people that we still had Indian raids on the fort! :D

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.