Poll: Do you prefer the city or country?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

OT: Where do you like living?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:10 pm

I gotta be uptown, downtown
20%
I like the suburbs
5%
I have to be on the edge of the 'burbs
14%
Green acres is the place for me
61%

Total votes: 59

alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Poll: Do you prefer the city or country?

Post by alespa »

My wife and I live in the city now, and have all our lives. We currently live in Seattle, where in my opinion, housing prices are obscenely high. Since we don't have the prospect of increasing our income to get a bigger place to meet our needs, we are seriously looking to move out into a more rural or country area, and get some acreage (3-5 acres). If we move across the Puget Sound onto the Olympic penninsula, or far enough north or south, we can find properties big enough for our business, and pieces of land that cost less than where we are now.

The pros are big space, mountain/forest/water views, room to grow and possibly subdivide if we needed the money. The cons are that we may be too far to maintain friendships and have to make an effort to get to the city every once in awhile (via the ferry).

I am curious how many other people might have been faced with the same decision and would love to hear some "before" and "after" stories to share. Maybe someone living in our area can relate with a story?

Just so you know, we are both self-employed, and for the most part, it doesn't matter where we live. It's just the ocassional times we visit friends, that we may lose out on, and my kids that visit about 10 weeks out of the year, and we don't want them to "lose" their friends. My oldest probably wouldn't mind so much, but my younger son has a friend closer than a brother, and they usually spend all summer together. It's a tough choice to make.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I'm definitely a country girl at heart. Right now, we live in the city, but our goal is to buy lots of acreage in upstate NY and have a small farm up there.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Can you hear the stream in the busy city still?
:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I've grown up in the suburbs all my life, but whenever I visit family in Indiana, I love the feeling of openness and calm that I get from being out in the country.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Since some of the properties we have looked at (not in person) are 3-5 acres, I am wondering if we'll get lonely out there. For instance, as I was going to sleep last night, I was imagining that that woods surrounded us, and we couldn't hear any neighbors. Seemed almost like camping. We love camping, but I suppose it would really end up depending on how close we are to general shopping (grocery store and such), and how many neighbors we had. What's really ironic, is that many people in our neighborhood don't really know each other, and we live side by side.

What is exciting is the two of the properties have outbuildings, one for horses, which we don't have, and border salmon creeks :)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

alespa wrote:Since some of the properties we have looked at (not in person) are 3-5 acres, I am wondering if we'll get lonely out there. For instance, as I was going to sleep last night, I was imagining that that woods surrounded us, and we couldn't hear any neighbors. Seemed almost like camping. We love camping, but I suppose it would really end up depending on how close we are to general shopping (grocery store and such), and how many neighbors we had. What's really ironic, is that many people in our neighborhood don't really know each other, and we live side by side.
when we were still in New Hampshire, we did live literally in the woods. There is nothing quite like it. It's so quiet, but in a GOOD way if that makes sense. I really miss it. Also, it was nice to not have neighbors right on top of us like we do here. I liked the privacy to a certain extent...I didn't have to worry who was looking into my windows once I turned on the lights all of the time. Plus it just SMELLS nicer in the woods :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

The cost of living in Seattle is a big problem, without question. We’ve been crowned “the most overpriced city” in the country.

Our story is one in reverse. Before Seattle, we lived on Orcas Island. Mind you, we were on the island when it was still affordable (before Hollywood moved in). I haven’t checked housing prices up there lately, but they have risen significantly. I loved island life; 90-minute ferry ride and all. You learn to shop for the month, plan your life, and know your neighbors well. A crime wave there consisted of someone running into a roadside mailbox. The isolation was too much for my husband, so we came down here. I’ve regretted the move every day. Not just because I loved Orcas, but also because I despise Seattle.

An area you may want to consider is Bellingham. You have affordable housing and land, with the amenities of a city only minutes away, and Vancouver just over the border for arts and entertainment. Property taxes are easier to swallow too. The drive down to Seattle for visits is tolerable.

Btw, check on the regulations for property with a salmon creek – it could be a problem.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I was born and raised in a very rural area, where the population (of people) was well under 500.

I like being alone, and I like being close to the earth and trees. I can't live well if I don't have direct access to the ground and nature and stillness and clean air.

However, I love walking up and down city streets, and going through malls and attending concerts and book stores and seeing weird people everywhere and hearing multiple languages spoken, and all the other aspects of civilisation. I just couldn't do it all the time. I used to think I could, but I cannot. I burn out too easily.

edited cause i kont spell
Last edited by Jack on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I grew up on a farm. Since moving out of my parents' home, I've always lived in the suburbs (mainly because my jobs have always been in the suburbs).

Here are a few of the differences:

Rural
Pro: Quiet, solitude, peaceful, elbow-room, nature.
Con: A long way to shopping, cultural attractions (music, theatre, etc.).

Urban
Pro: Convenience to shopping and cultural attractions.
Con: Traffic, crowds, crime, noise, air pollution.

Suburban
Has most of the "cons" of urban and rural, with few of the "pros".

I only live in the 'burbs because my commute to work would be horrible from either the country or the city. (Plus the fact that we can't afford a decent house in Seattle.)

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
alespa

Post by alespa »

Teri, I like your thinking! :)

I will check on the Salmon Creek . . . I confess, I don't know what that is.

Bellingham does have some nice areas, and I had forgotten the bit about Vancouver not being too far away. The only thing is that on our trips north, I have noticed traffic just gets nasty from downtown Seattle, all the way up until you get past Everett, or thereabouts. But that has been on Fridays. Is it like that every day, do you know?
alespa

Post by alespa »

I can't remember, but Lynden is not too far from Bellingham, right? I remember Lynden having some nice areas, but wherever we move, we just want a few acres, so even there, we'd have to get on the outskirts of town. But I like the old architecture.

Anyone have any experience with Poulsbo?
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I grew up on a small farm (actually, a small cattle ranch). If I had my druthers, I'd still be living out in the country a ways.

Since I'm an embedded SW engineer, I don't have that choice without giving up a lot of job flexiblity and/or salary. I live in San Jose, in a suburb on the edge of town (and close enough to a county park we often start hikes by walking out our front door).

Would I prefer the country - sure (though convincing big-city-girl wife might be harder - to her, we ARE in the country :lol: ).

But there are tradeoffs.

Where I grew up, we were only a few miles (5 or so) outside of a couple of small towns - it didn't take us much longer to get to the grocery store than it does now (10 minutes vs 3-4 minutes). But it is a difference - to visit my closest friends as a kid I needed to get on my bicycle and ride a few miles. I used to ride my bike to the library, too - but that took half an hour or so.

Further out (where I'd be given a choice) you can't do that as readily. You need to spend more time going over your shopping list, and you need stockpile more - if you forget something, it may be a half hour drive to the store. If you've got health issues, think about it carefully - even if you're only a few miles out, it may take an extra 15 minutes for an ambulance to reach you in an emergency. Ditto the local fire department (if you have one - and if you do, it may be a volunteer department that takes longer to respond in the first place). And you'd better be fairly self-sufficient for basic home emergencies, because getting an electrician or plumber out fast (or cheaply) may not be possible.

I loved living in the country, and if I could do so I'd be so far out I wouldn't be able to see anyone else's house from my own (and far enough from any town to get truly dark skies at night). But it may not be possible until I retire, if then (even if my health is good, family and friends count too). If you can manage it (and it sounds like you may be able to), more power to you.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The suburbs seemed an ok place to grow up. They seemed a compatible place to raise children as well. Even so, I spent my first half 30 years pining for the outdoors and nature. If I had the chance to get away for a night, or several, it was preferably to the country. Something has shifted, though, over the last decade...so much so that cities, which scared and repelled me when I was very young, are now the environment I crave. I love New York. I love London. I hope, at the very least, I can convince my spouse that the low-key urban-ness of nearby Annapolis would be preferable to the treacherous ennuie of the surburb where I've spent most of my life.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Well, I've lived in the suburbs of Chicago, in the country of central Illinois (surrounded by cornfields), on the east side of Milwaukee, and in small towns and the country of rural Wisconsin. My pick is definitely the country (though the country of central Illinois would not be my first pick of country to live in :) )

The peace and quiet can be a pro or a con, depending on what you're used to and what you like. Another thing that you may find surprising is the darkness. It gets DARK in the country at night! It's wonderful for star gazing, but can be inconveinent when you come home late and forget to leave the porch light on. And it can be a bit spooky too.

Other things to consider about living in the country
-no pizza delivery
-you can play your stereo (or your whistle) loudly any time of the day or night and your neighbors won't complain
-"running to the store" takes a bit more time and planning.
-Wonderful for birdwatching!
- Being far away from medical care in the case of emergency
-You may have to deal with owning a well and a septic tank.

Depending on how far "in the country" you are, some of these may not totally apply. Another thing to consider if you're in for the long haul, is how fast is the area developing? Is your out in the country going to stay out in the country for long, or will urban sprawl take over? This can be bad or good, depending on your point of view.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
alespa

Post by alespa »

I agree. There are aspects of being in the city that are wonderful. Great restaurants, entertainment, shopping. But I know our area has become on of the highest rated cities for stolen vehicles. I put a car up for sale at the end of last year. Parked it on a major street, and the next day it was gone. The car was totalled out, and what a blessing, we got more money than we were hoping to sell the car for. But I have noticed vandalism, and all sorts of "youth crime" escalating in our area. One of the areas we are considering rated one of the most challenging and best schools in the nation with a graduation rate of 99.5%. Now maybe I am missing something, but it seems to me that if kids are doing that well in school, maybe they aren't out trying to get into trouble.

I'm seeing some great points. Thanks all! DCrom brings up some points I hadn't thought of, in terms of emergency needs.