Boatswain Whistle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Boatswain Whistle

Post by I.D.10-t »

Does any one have information on the Boatswain whistle?

How was it played, what it's range, and what were the different signals played..

I know that it was not a musical instrument, But I do seem to it playing more than one note either by over-blowing or by opening your hands in much the same way as a loon call.

Also, does anyone know where to find a quality reproduction of one. I saw one in a gift shop and did not trust the solder that they used to hold on the mouthpiece (wouldn't want to be sucking on lead).
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I think they have them for sale on the whistle shop.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
pearl grey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pearl grey »

I've been wondering the same thing! I've been watching the fabulous "Horatio Hornblower" series lately and kept thinking, "I should ask the forum about the bosun whistles." I want one!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

A bosun's pipe consists of a tube that delivers a stream of air across the opening of a tiny bowl, which acts as the embouchure hole. The player then cups his hand across the stream, which dampens all freqencies except the wavelength consisting of the distance from hand to hole (and it's harmonics). This gives a method of generating several rough notes, so simple codes (or tunes) could be played, which were used as signals.

The high pitch (like the military fife) would carry best in the open air, and unlike a fife it could be played one-handed, allowing the other hand to hang on to the rigging.

It's of *very* limited use as a musical instrument, however, because of it's shrillness and imprecision.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

toughknot

Post by toughknot »

During the six years I was in the USNavy I never heard more than 3 ( clear , distinct) notes come out of a Boatswain's Pipe. We used to tweak the pipe by pouring melted wax into the pea ( the bowl) until it was almost 1/3rd full. Everyone tweaked their own to suit themself. Actually very few of us had them as you had to be a bosun and third class petty officer ( at least ) to pipe. It took a lot of lung power and practice. You had to qualify in order to pipe.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

During the six years I was in the USNavy I never heard more than 3 ( clear , distinct) notes come out of a Boatswain's Pipe.
It's 25 years since I owned or blew one, so I'm going by recall. I suspect that what the fingers are doing is choosing between the fundamental and first two harmonics of the bowl, which is a helmholtz resonator.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

It's been 19 year for me. As far as the physics you are probably right. I was more interested in the fact it got me into the wheel house and out of the rain. :D
TomB

Post by TomB »

toughknot wrote:It's been 19 year for me. As far as the physics you are probably right. I was more interested in the fact it got me into the wheel house and out of the rain. :D

I can relate- not that I was a BM or anything though. I was an RM, so I worked in a frigid set of rooms. Even when we were in the Gulf in the middle of summer, it didn't matter. We often got strange looks during that time, walking out of Radio Central with foul weather jackets on.

It takes a lot of work to use a Bosn's pipe well. When done well, it's fine for its intended uses, done not so well, it hurts.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

Why is it bad luck to whistle on a ship? (Normal whistling, with your lips) Is it because it sounds too much like a bosun's whistle and might confuse people?
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Because living in cramped quaters with 799 other people lowers everyones tolerance for annoying behaivour and may cause the whistler to get punched in the mouth. Just my guess :)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

pearl grey wrote:Why is it bad luck to whistle on a ship?
It isn't. Whistling was believed by sailors to bring or increase wind. As this was often not wanted at sea whistling would normally be frowned upon. However, if a ship was becalmed a crewman would often be instructed to whistle to see if a wind could be found.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TomB

Post by TomB »

jbarter wrote:
pearl grey wrote:Why is it bad luck to whistle on a ship?
It isn't. Whistling was believed by sailors to bring or increase wind. As this was often not wanted at sea whistling would normally be frowned upon. However, if a ship was becalmed a crewman would often be instructed to whistle to see if a wind could be found.

Yep, that's what they say. Nowadays, I guess they don't need no stikin' wind, so ToughKnot has a good answer also. Close quarters and annoying behaviors can lead to some rather interesting discussions, if you will.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

That's what I had thought, that it was something about whistling to summon the wind... but I thought I heard recently that it was something totally unrelated, except I can't remember what. It was on some documentary.

All I remember is that the cook was the only person allowed to whistle, to make sure he wasn't chewing tobacco and spitting the juice into the food he was preparing.