Folding bikes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Folding bikes

Post by Nanohedron »

Anyone know anything first-hand about them? Are they the best thing since sliced bread? Are they more thingy and complicated than they're worth? Let's hear it.

TIA. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Re: Folding bikes

Post by Flotineer »

IME it depends on what you’re using them for, and whether you have a genuine space limitation for storage. If you live in a small apartment, roommate situation, etc and need to store them in a small area *and* you’re riding paved sidewalks/streets/paths - they’re fine.

Terns are nice, I’ve never ridden a Brompton. I don’t have experience with E-bikes of any kind, except to have them blow my wheels off while they’re barely pedaling…

One downside that doesn’t get talked about much is that smaller diameter tires make for a rougher ride than 26-29 in tires. Hence the concerns about your riding surface. All things considered, if I have space for storage, I’ll ride a regular bike. (Full disclosure, I presently have storage for four bikes, and another one I’ve been eyeballing…)

The folding mountain bikes I’ve seen (never ridden),I would NOT take mountain biking.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

I'd echo the limited-distance, decent surface message. I had a folding bike before I learned to drive, and used it to cycle to my job a couple of miles away. It was absolutely fine.

The only thing was that, because I used it nearly every day, I very rarely folded it. It was great to take on the train, but in reality I didn't do that very often. And as a full size model wouldn't take up very much more space, I eventually decided to sell it and buy a bike I could comfortably ride for 30 miles on a nice weekend. It held its value better than a run of the mill non-folding bike, though, and I'd no regrets about having bought it.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Agree that unless you need the ability to store in a small footprint, it's not worth the extra expense. On a sailboat, they're great, due to the need to store (in a sealed bag) on deck.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, folks. This is just the sort of info I was looking for. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician