Consulting the Geek Oracle: If Google's tracking me ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Consulting the Geek Oracle: If Google's tracking me ...

Post by Nanohedron »

... and they seem to be doing a good enough job at it, why do they keep asking for my location?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Consulting the Geek Oracle: If Google's tracking me ...

Post by david_h »

One possibility: If your IP address changes (happens periodically with most UK landline providers, and I think many mobile data connections change the IP address often) and your browser tells it you are using a non desktop operating system then it can't be sure you haven't moved. Especially if it last thought that that IP address was somewhere else.

There may also be something to do with MAC addresses, but that's too geeky for me.

I'll admit it can be handy when search engines know where I am. Just been on holiday to Scotland and felt in need of a fish supper when passing through an unfamiliar town.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yeah, sorry: I forgot to mention that this happens only on my desktop unit - a laptop - and that stays put. Being a grouchy old quasi-luddite, I use my mobile almost solely for calls and texting, or for idle news browsing when I'm waiting for an appointment, or to quickly settle a Google-able question when I'm away from my laptop. I only access C&F by phone when my laptop's hors de combat, and that's pretty darned seldom.

So my question ought to have been: Why does Google ask for my location when the laptop's in the same place, day in and day out?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h

Post by david_h »

Maybe your IP address has changed and the last time it asked where the new IP address was it was somewhere where you were not. It probably knows you are still you.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:40 pm Maybe your IP address has changed and the last time it asked where the new IP address was it was somewhere where you were not. It probably knows you are still you.
I was unaware that IP addresses change.
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:58 pm I was unaware that IP addresses change.
It may be different for you, but in the UK most landline broadband providers charge more for a static IP address. Mine changes every week or so.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:08 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:58 pm I was unaware that IP addresses change.
It may be different for you, but in the UK most landline broadband providers charge more for a static IP address. Mine changes every week or so.
To be honest, I've never paid attention. In any case, when Google asks for my location, I just hit the little X and say, "Buh-bye." They'll have to be satisfied with what they can glean without my help.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:08 pm
I never check mine. I have a feeling that it's static, though. I suppose I could use the Board's own software to check ...

... no, you're right, david_h, mine changes.