Forgive me

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Forgive me

Post by PB+J »

I'm posting a link to my biography of Francis O'Neill, which is coming out very soon from the University of Chicago Press. I got a few physical copies last Monday.

https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/bo ... 22232.html

It's as much a history of O'Neill as a human actor as it is a history of collecting, and I tried to write it in an accessible and non-academic way, but it's the product of years of serious research and it's been through two rounds of blind peer review to attest to accuracy and plausibility. There are some nice blurbs for the book on the press web site--I agree with them!

He was a complex and fascinating man.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Forgive me

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Congratulations! Great title, too.
Lonyy
Tell us something.: I want to be a part of Chiff and Fipple community, so I am registering now. I am here because I fond of music instruments, especially flute and others. Now I can play the piano and the guitar, and flute is the new instrument for me.

Post by Lonyy »

Congratulations! I an sure this book is awesome :) He is a great man, so it is important to know his story.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wow! I will definitely want to read. Thank you!

Edit: I just bought a copy of your book, "Face Value" on Google books. When I finish my current book I'll start it.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Wow, thank you. Face Value is a very different kind of book but I'm very proud of it
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

For the past 2 years I've been deep diving into American history. When I saw Face Value and read the description I felt it will be a great supplement. I am in the last half of Richard White's "The Republic for Which it Stands". I'll read yours next.
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

That's wonderful. I haven't read White's latest but I've taught Railroaded several times and have read his other books. He wrote a very fine book about history vs family stories called Remembering Ahanaghran . I think it's out of print.

The Beat Cop is as much US history as it is Irish music--I got some fairly intense questions about it in Ireland which had to do the fact that I was considering him as an actor in US history rather than only as the savior of Irish music. I'd love to get your opinion on Face Value if you get to it.

the book I'm working on now is going to be largely a history of Virginia in your neck of the woods, what used to be Nansemond County. It starts from this document, my great great grandfather's marriage certificate.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I confess I've got some dissonances going on here, but I trust all will be revealed. :boggle:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:40 am I confess I've got some dissonances going on here, but I trust all will be revealed. :boggle:
Haha. My thoughts as well. I'm hooked already.

I want to read The Beat Cop too. I might have to read Railroaded now.
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

At this point I'd say SOME will be revealed. I know who made the original classification and when, but it's also tangled up in the awful work of Walter Ashby Plecker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Plecker
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:38 am ... it's also tangled up in the awful work of Walter Ashby Plecker ...
And with that, the doors to understanding have opened.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Have anybody else's "dissonances" got anything to do with the subtitle, "The creation of Irish Music"? I mean, there's a lot to be said about O'Neill's work in preserving, nurturing, even disseminating, Irish Music, but "creation"? Maybe I'm missing some reference ...

By the way, I am not trying to be negative at all. I imagine the work you've put into this, PB+J, is more than I could ever dream of doing or even being capable of, and it certainly looks interesting. So, I'm just being curious, really.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:39 pm Have anybody else's "dissonances" got anything to do with the subtitle, "The creation of Irish Music"?
Good point. Right away the semantic effect for me is one of irony: It suggests that while Irish Music actually goes back to the mists of time, the "creation" bit makes the assertion that outside of Ireland - and possibly to some extent within it - public awareness of ITM as a genre in its own right was mainly due to O'Neill's work and, as has been pointed out before, to his curatorship which - right or wrong - in a sense did much to define it from his time forward.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:09 pm
benhall.1 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:39 pm Have anybody else's "dissonances" got anything to do with the subtitle, "The creation of Irish Music"?
Good point. Right away the semantic effect for me is one of irony: It suggests that while Irish Music actually goes back to the mists of time, the "creation" bit suggests the assertion that outside of Ireland - and possibly to some extent within it - public awareness of ITM as a genre in its own right was mainly due to O'Neill's work and, as has been pointed out before, to his curatorship which - right or wrong - in a sense did much to define it from his time forward.
I mean, there has been music in Ireland going back however long there have been people in Ireland (well, birds too I suppose), but it's not really a stretch at all to say that "Irish Music" as we know it today is largely a product of the past 150 years or so. And that's not just musically speaking, although even O'Neill would see some very striking differences between the music he knew and what we call ITM/"Irish Music" today. There's a whole cultural and socio-political element to it all, not to mention the globalization of the music, that doesn't go back any farther than the 20th century.