St Brigid's Day / Lá Fhéile Bríde

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

St Brigid's Day / Lá Fhéile Bríde

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The feast of St Bridget of Kildare, Bridget's day, announces the return of spring in Ireland on the first of Februarty. Hard to believe when I look out the window into the grey and drizzle but there you have it.

The old people used to make Bridget's crrosses out of rushes (although willow and straw were used at times as well). Hanging over the door they provide protection for the house. In fact some people still make them, schoolchildren all over the country will be making them today. Saturday I went for a walk and met a woman in the street with a huge bunch of rushes in her bag, it was obvious how she was going to spend her Sunday :D .

Here are a few:

One standing on the little shelf over my computer screen:

A three legged one, perhaps more triskell like, referring to the trinity perhaps:

and a simple design popular on the Aran islands, although I have met people from Doolin who said they used to make these when young:

Bridget is a versatile old Biddy, it sometimes seems she'll be whatever you want her to be, saint, pre christian goddess, earthmother, feminist icon and what have you.

here's one song, incorporating the old hymn to Bridget and taking it from there : Bridget's Kiss

There's this as well:
To celebrate Lá Fhéile Bríde/St Brigid's Day 2022, the Irish Traditional Music Archive, in collaboration with the Department of Foreign Affairs, commissioned three traditional artists to compose new works inspired by lore relating to Brigid: Louise Mulcahy (uilleann piper and flute player); Síle Denvir (harper and sean-nós singer), and Caitlin Nic Gabhann (concertina player and dancer).
St Bridget's day 2022 @ ITMA
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: St Brigid's Day / Lá Fhéile Bríde

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RTEnews had a bit of an item on this :

RTE news : St Brigid and the coming of spring
My brain hurts

david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: St Brigid's Day / Lá Fhéile Bríde

Post by david_h »

The internet can be a great thing for the diffusion of cultural practices. We leave our Christmas wreath on the front door until Candlemas, which is today. Last night I came home after dark and noticed that it had already gone but something was wedged behind the door knocker. Had another look in daylight and, thanks to this thread, was able to ask why we had a St Bridget's cross on the door for the first time. The answer was "I saw it on the internet so I made one - I'm impressed you know what it is" - "Ah, I saw it on that flute site".