The Autumn Equinox

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Autumn Equinox

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The 'quiet time between summer and winter', light and dark time of about equal lenght.

In our house there's a 'Newgrange moment' where the sun setting over the Atlantic hits the western end of the house and provided all inner doors are open, casts a shaft of light across the length of the house to mark the occasion.

My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: The Autumn Equinox

Post by fatmac »

.....the time when you have to prepare for the coming Winter, too. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Bring in the turf? :P

My brain hurts

Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Pretty cool phenomenon and picture!
fatmac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:58 am .....the time when you have to prepare for the coming Winter, too. :D
Yeah... the "cool, equinox!" and then, "...oh, crap..."

(I'm firmly a warm-weather person. I lived in Bangkok quite happily, and have been miserable in MI for... well, much of my life, and more so since I had to come back from Bangkok {and stay} for reasons not under my control. I have no use for winter. Thus, I have no use for fall because it's just a lead-up to winter, like the walk to the gallows. I always say I only tolerate fall at all for two reasons: pumpkin-flavored stuff, and Halloween.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
trill

Post by trill »

Mr.Gumby,
Mr.Gumby wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:00 am Bring in the turf? :P

What, pray tell, is that a picture of ?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What, pray tell, is that a picture of ?
A small load of turf, some of the winter fuel, waiting to be be saved in the shed.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Stacking all of that turf ought to keep you warm for an hour or three.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 amI always say I only tolerate fall at all for two reasons: pumpkin-flavored stuff ...
Only the storied pie (including sweet potato) for me, thank you; the proliferation of pumpkin spice whatever makes my beloved pie a meh, and I can't abide that. Did you know that there's pumpkin spice toilet paper, fercryinoutloud? Where does the madness end?
Katherine wrote:... and Halloween.)
I am already ghastly and spooky year-round.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:41 pm
Katharine wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 amI always say I only tolerate fall at all for two reasons: pumpkin-flavored stuff ...
Only the storied pie (including sweet potato) for me, thank you; the proliferation of pumpkin spice whatever makes my beloved pie a meh, and I can't abide that. Did you know that there's pumpkin spice toilet paper, fercryinoutloud? Where does the madness end?
Katherine wrote:... and Halloween.)
I am already ghastly and spooky year-round.
Of course, I also think that pumpkin-flavored stuff and Halloween should be available year-round... :) (I always say that Halloween is the time I go shopping for clothes and decor that I'll use all year...)

(Nothing could make pumpkin pie meh! Well, except maybe if it's badly made. I go straight to the punch and make a crustless version in the crock-pot. Nothing shall dilute my pie!)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I love Autumn and love the cold weather, and every year we seem to get less of each. The trees have not quite caught on--they've start to turn but it's still warm and humid outside. They remember when September meant cool weather.

When our daughter was young we made up a tradition that the "Equinox Fox" would come in the night at the equinoxes and leave seasonally appropriate items.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PB+J wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:39 am When our daughter was young we made up a tradition that the "Equinox Fox" would come in the night at the equinoxes and leave seasonally appropriate items.
That makes, in a strange sort of way, a lot of sense.

We live in an area where there are loads of foxes all year but from late summer they tend to come to the house more, looking for fallen fruit. In August we had a lovely young one that was coming to feast on fallen plums, he was a bit shy but a little interested as well as we tried to approach. He must have fledged very recently and was a bit lonely. Apples are starting to fall now so we'll get more visiting foxes (and badgers as well).

My brain hurts

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ooh-- what a lovely fox!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.