Members in NZ

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Members in NZ

Post by Michael w6 »

I recently purchased a very nice wine imported from NZ, Tuatea. The second T has two short line through it, much like a =. What is this? A letter in the NZ alphabet or a pronunciation mark?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Members in NZ

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:52 pm The second T has two short line through it, much like a =. What is this? A letter in the NZ alphabet or a pronunciation mark?
Not a Kiwi here, but I can assure you it's neither one. Typical of many modern Polynesian alphabets, the only standard diacritic mark in the Māori Roman alphabet is the macron, just as you see with the ā there; it indicates a long vowel. So the marks on the T are strictly an artistic bit of brand recognition, but they leave no indication to me as to why that particular device was chosen. I did some searching, but nada. Maybe it's something a Kiwi in the know would recognize, but more likely you'd probably have to ask the producer why they chose that mark.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:14 pmask the producer why they chose that mark.
Creative calligraphy? Do those marks belong somewhere else?

Edit - "Calligraphic licence" would have been a better term
Last edited by david_h on Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:21 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:14 pmask the producer why they chose that mark.
Creative calligraphy? Do those marks belong somewhere else?
Exactly.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician