Does anyone else........

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Does anyone else........

Post by oleorezinator »

.....hear what I hear from 4:40 - 4:49?
https://youtu.be/u6PrvmHsCrg
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Does anyone else........

Post by benhall.1 »

A jig? Are you hearing a particular jig? I couldn't hear one I recognised ...
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Years ago when YouTube was new I learned Dunmore Lassies from a sitar player. It is not the same clip that comes up when you do a "dunmore lassies sitar" search. That one is a riff on the original tune which is a more recent composition.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:19 am A jig? Are you hearing a particular jig? I couldn't hear one I recognised ...
Same here, although it swings a lot like the Kesh at first. But that's where it ends.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I was reminded of this discussion by a couple of recent posts over on thesession.org (thanks to their authors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiaWQdvdUzo

This borrowing seems to date from no later than 1835.

https://sapthaswaras.blogspot.com/2009/ ... waram.html

Seems that stranger (to me) things than suggested in the OP do happen.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

Apparently Ravi Shankar wrote that particular song around '95 for his daughter who "lived between London and Delhi", and who was born in London. Ravi Shankar was also close to George Harrison. Just thinking of how that phrase might be included.

?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:53 pm I was reminded of this discussion by a couple of recent posts over on thesession.org (thanks to their authors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiaWQdvdUzo
What the...? That's essentially the same tune I played as a polka for dancers. Can't remember what it's called...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:22 pm Can't remember what it's called...
Rakes of Mallow, it's in the second link.

Not unlikely that it was taken there by the British army.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:19 am A jig? Are you hearing a particular jig? I couldn't hear one I recognised ...
Lilibulero into Off She Goes.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:34 am Not unlikely that it was taken there by the British army.
I recall a story of someone who while in Hong Kong came across local outdoor musicians (Chinese trad, one assumes) playing a similarly-sourced tune. Bit of a cognitive dissonance, I can well imagine.

The seeds of the Empire were flung far.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

GreenWood wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:15 pm Apparently Ravi Shankar wrote that particular song around '95 for his daughter who "lived between London and Delhi", and who was born in London. Ravi Shankar was also close to George Harrison. Just thinking of how that phrase might be included.

?
Possibly an artistic nod to where Anoushka was born (in a very general sense)? It briefly brings to mind Ireland, and by geographic extension, the British Isles archipelago; ITM came from that landmass and nowhere else, nor is the music confined to Ireland anymore. The idiom is so distinctive that it stands out as sounding "Western" in its way, and it fits perfectly as that raag is identical to our Ionian mode. As for source material, the good Pandit would certainly have been exposed to ITM in London, and like any good musician, probably listened closely.

YMMV.
david_h

Post by david_h »

oleorezinator wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:28 pm Lilibulero into Off She Goes.
Ah, of course. A reference to that would be recognized all over the Indian subcontinent: "This is London"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssw7cn2TbF0

Takes me back to a pre-internet days, twiddling a dial and hearing it through the short-wave peeps and whistles .