Consulting the Geek Oracle: QR Code Pet Tags

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Consulting the Geek Oracle: QR Code Pet Tags

Post by Nanohedron »

Anyone know much about these? I think the concept's great, but are there limitations or online security risks? I've never even read QR codes before; I have yet to get an app.

From my experience with my last cat, I'd want to be able to provide more than just name, address, phone #, and the other likely basics: Lester needed a damned personality profile. Seriously. Something like, "I'm not lost. I'm just insanely curious and social, and want to get to know ALL my neighbors. That's why I'm crying at your door: I just really, really want to see how you live. That's all. But if you don't want to let me in, my humans would actually prefer that. Obviously I don't agree with their philosophy, so it's up to you. If you have pets, so much the better: I'll especially want to play with them. Even dogs, if they can get over the shock. If you absolutely have to fold and let me in for a visit, please don't feed me; I'm on a special diet, so it's better that I go home to eat when I'm hungry. And when you think it's time for me to leave, just put me out, and I won't mind even if it's cold; trust me, I'm outside because I wanted to be, and I like it. Home is nearby, and my doting humans keep an eye out. You can bet I'll be back, because I make the rounds and like having a blast with all my friends. My humans think outdoors is better for that, but I'm a cat, so ... yeah, whatever. You can best participate in my welfare by keeping it light, whatever you do. I'll be totally happy with that; I'm not looking for a handout, just a visit, and some fun too, if I have anything to say about it."

You can see that I've been scarred for life. Now, it's unlikely that I'll have to explain my next cat in such intimate detail (I aim to get a new one within a few months), but if I'm fated for yet another adventure-needing hypersocial cat, I might want to be able to account for the critter and not leave the neighbors guessing and tying up my phone with their concerns like the last time. Eventually the whole neighborhood got on board with the abovementioned situation and Lester was fully embraced as local color, but it took far too long the old way. I figure that a QR code could be a real time-saver - for everyone.

I've briefly looked at a few QR code pet tag sites on the matter, but I'm not entirely clear on what it all means to me as a user. How does it work? Any background and arcana will be much appreciated, especially as regards my getting into it as a newbie, should I go there.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Re: Consulting the Geek Oracle: QR Code Pet Tags

Post by KevinNot10 »

So QR codes are actually just fancy barcodes. They are just a way to store text in the same way that the barcodes on things at the supermarket store a series of numbers. You don't even need an internet connection to read a QR code (although most of them will be encoded to take you to a website).

Most smartphone camera apps these days are capable of reading QR codes, so you don't usually need a separate app anymore.

Here's a somewhat unwieldy QR code that contains the text you posted in italics (shorter is better because you don't need to use as many little black squares): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vu7xzX ... 13ytb/view

You can make one yourself here: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/
Kevin
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks.
KevinNot10 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:52 am You don't even need an internet connection to read a QR code (although most of them will be encoded to take you to a website).
It seems that with pet tags the whole push IS to have a hosted webpage so you can add or change info as needed. I totally get that, but have yet to be fully sold on it. The cost isn't prohibitive; I gladly spend way more on my vices. What concerns me primarily is vulnerability to hacking, and how far that unfortunate event could go.
KevinNot10 wrote:Most smartphone camera apps these days are capable of reading QR codes, so you don't usually need a separate app anymore.
I do; I still have to shovel coal into mine. I'm one of the old guard who reserves internet stuff mostly for my laptop, and personal communications mostly for my phone (yes, yes, my eyes have a lot to do with it). So long as my mobile's still working like a champ - and it is - I don't have a whole lot of incentive to get the newest and shiniest gizmo that's out there.
KevinNot10 wrote:Here's a somewhat unwieldy QR code that contains the text you posted in italics (shorter is better because you don't need to use as many little black squares): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vu7xzX ... 13ytb/view
This illustrates why being routed to a webpage is better; can anyone imagine all that on a wee pet tag, much less getting it right at that scale?
KevinNot10 wrote:You can make one yourself here: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/
Yeah, I found that website, tried it, and right away saw why the webpage method is probably best for my potential needs.

Are there any Chiffers who have QR-coded pet tags? 'Fess up. I'd love to hear your input.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Lozq
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Post by Lozq »

Not on a pet, but we trialled them at my work for a while.

The idea was that if a piece of equipment went kaput you simply scanned the code with your phone and submitted a semi-prefilled defect report which got forwarded onto whoever had the unfortunate duty of repairing it. It worked reasonably well in that regard, and people certainly used it - much easier than trying to remember to do it when you were back in the office hours later.

But...95% of the time you'd submit the report, and ten minutes later you'd get a call from whoever received it asking for more details/clarification. So we ended up with a policy of 'If something breaks, call X department and tell them directly'.

I suspect with a barcoded pet you'd end up with the same sort of situation. 'Hi! Your cat is at my house, I read your QR code whatsit but just wanted to let you know she's here and safe...' sort of an affair. And in Australia at least there's plenty of older people who have never used a QR code - although I suspect the 'Rona has probably changed that a bit.

As a Gen Y-er I know I'm meant to live my life through a series of freemium apps, but I feel like for this particular application a good ol' telephone number is probably the most practical option.

The other thought I had (and I tried to find an example online but wasn't sure how to phrase it) is one of those tiny, retractable message scrolls. They're about an inch long by maybe a quarter of an inch wide, and contain a strip of plasticky papery stuff on which you can write a short message. People attach them to their carkeys or luggage sometimes. They're tiny, lightweight, reasonably weatherproof and allow you to impress the finder of your prodigal moggy with your ability to 'copy all the letters in a big round hand' so to speak.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lozq wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:53 pm But...95% of the time you'd submit the report, and ten minutes later you'd get a call from whoever received it asking for more details/clarification. So we ended up with a policy of 'If something breaks, call X department and tell them directly'.

I suspect with a barcoded pet you'd end up with the same sort of situation. 'Hi! Your cat is at my house, I read your QR code whatsit but just wanted to let you know she's here and safe...' sort of an affair. And in Australia at least there's plenty of older people who have never used a QR code - although I suspect the 'Rona has probably changed that a bit.
Thanks for your input. Very helpful. You're probably right that a QR-coded pet tag wouldn't necessarily eliminate calls, but I see a substantial difference between your example and my proposed one: Yours is that of a complaint form, basically, and that involves potential human error or at least, as you have demonstrated, a predictable need for more info; in short, interpersonal communication is built into the thing of necessity. OTOH, my proposed pet's profile is intended to be no more than an announcement that aims simply to inform - no response required. I could add something to the corpus like, "If there's a medical emergency, please call or text my human. Otherwise, no need to trouble yourself with a call unless you would like to pass the time with a nice neighborly chat; that's always welcome, of course. And I would approve because it's probably going to be about ME!" Since the hypothetical profile's practically a tome already, that little bit would hardly tip the scales, but might go a long way all the same. As you point out, one should anticipate calls anyway, but I believe a proper amount of info would cut down on the panic. And there was a lot of that until people finally got used to the idea of a roving, social cat as being okay, if unusual. :)

This has been a very productive thread for me. I'm still not sure I'd go with a QR code, but I can see its usefulness. Besides, in my locale, probably everybody and his dog knows how to deal with QR codes; linked-in raw youth is in the majority.