Currently listening to?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Gary90
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Re: Currently listening to?

Post by Gary90 »

Any Irish Traditional or Folk suggestions?
I gave some jazz a go a few years back, i just couldn't get into it.
Brus

Post by Brus »

I've been listening to this group ...

Fullsceilidh Spelemannslag

... after binging on the Wrigley Sisters for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr9IrXgfqVU

I guess I've just been in a Shetland and Orkney mood lately ...
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

stiofan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:23 am But most currently, as of now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLMoLoGfjyQ
https://youtu.be/pGoDkH7Fozs
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

oleorezinator wrote:https://youtu.be/pGoDkH7Fozs
:thumbsup:
Whoa! Now that's definitely some experimental prog rock for sure. I was really into ELP, Yes, & King Crimson back in the day but somehow missed out on Gentle Giant. I'll go have a listen now.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Gary90 wrote:Any Irish Traditional or Folk suggestions?
Since resuming flute playing last fall, I've been pretty much focused on flute-centric recordings, but apart from that, I've got Tunes from the Goodman Manuscripts on repeat play and will probably order the follow-up More Tunes from the Goodman Manuscripts soon. Excellent stuff.
Gary90
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Post by Gary90 »

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

fatmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:45 am Lately been listening to these :-

'DARK SARAH - Behind the Black Veil'
'Dark Sarah_ _The Golden Moth'
'ELEINE - Until the End'
'ELFERYA - Eden_s Fall'
'EVENMORE - Last Ride'
'EVENMORE - The Ride Begins'
'FERIDEA - Into a Dawn'
'MUTUM - Premonitions of War'
'TEARS OF MARTYR - Tales'
Lawdy miss claudy, that sounds an awful lot like what I would have posted. Right now I'm watching the Epica Retrospect DVD. (They're doing a streaming concert on 12 June; their new album is great.)

Another band you might be interested in is The Loudest Silence, out of Croatia.

In addition to the symphonic metal, I always listen to a lot of:

Ayreon
Zappa/Mothers
Tom Waits
Steeleye Span
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Gary90

Post by Gary90 »

John Sheahan from The Dubliners from about 0:30 to 3:20 playing an Austrian waltz.

Anyone know the name?

https://youtu.be/0mtxgM_I5XE
Gary90

Post by Gary90 »

A nice song that can be listened to at any time of the day. If that makes any sense lol

https://youtu.be/Ss21UDdg8xo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Gary90 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 pm A nice song that can be listened to at any time of the day. If that makes any sense lol

Which I know as the Wedding Reel (although MacLeod's Farewell is probably more correct). Gets played in D in my stomping grounds, but a Scottish accordionist friend insists it's supposed to be played in E, the key he alleges Donald Shaw originally composed it in - and so we did it in E when performing; being the backup player, that was no skin off my nose. At sessions I'm not willing to be so doctrinaire, though, since the locals are all going to play it in D anyway. Local tradition, don't you know. Besides, it's more user-friendly for fluters and whistlers in that key. In the end, it's the same lovely tune either way. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Nano; you and I have stood on this corner before :) Calling it either MacLeod's Farewell or The Wedding Reel is fine by me and it is a grand tune. My understanding is that Donald Shaw composed this on the occasion of Martin MacLeod's marriage and leaving Capercaille. The second tune of the youtube clip is often called Good night to your NightCap but is also known as The Drunken Police Car. I like to lean very heavily on the two long notes to give the impression of a European Distress Siren.

:) :) Bob :D
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Gary90

Post by Gary90 »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:38 pm
Gary90 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 pm A nice song that can be listened to at any time of the day. If that makes any sense lol

Which I know as the Wedding Reel (although MacLeod's Farewell is probably more correct). Gets played in D in my stomping grounds, but a Scottish accordionist friend insists it's supposed to be played in E, the key he alleges Donald Shaw originally composed it in - and so we did it in E when performing; being the backup player, that was no skin off my nose. At sessions I'm not willing to be so doctrinaire, though, since the locals are all going to play it in D anyway. Local tradition, don't you know. Besides, it's more user-friendly for fluters and whistlers in that key. In the end, it's the same lovely tune either way. :)
From i have got fully indulged in Folk and traditional music, i had never seen songs known with 2 to 4 other names lol.

How did that sound in the key of E, which did you think suited?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Gary90 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:16 am How did that sound in the key of E, which did you think suited?
Both suited, as far as I'm concerned. The E version is of course a bit brighter, and the D lends a bit more emphasis to the introspective aspects of the melody - I think it would depend on what you want out of it. I say "introspective" because even in E, the aforesaid accordionist played it much like the Lúnasa version, and at most certainly no faster: in a relaxed, easy and unhurried fashion, and it was tasty - almost philosophical, for lack of a better word. No need to tear through it as if the Devil were on your tail.

Some of my favorite versions of tunes are in "non-standard" keys and settings, and I remain unabashed if nevertheless session-toxic on their account, so naturally I wouldn't trot those out at such times. For me Killarney Boys Of Pleasure must ever be a slow reel, so I wouldn't play it at sessions unless I didn't mind having it ripped out of my hands and whipped into a frenzy by the mob, bless their hearts.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Gary90

Post by Gary90 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:26 pm
Gary90 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:16 am How did that sound in the key of E, which did you think suited?
Both suited, as far as I'm concerned. The E version is of course a bit brighter, and the D lends a bit more emphasis to the introspective aspects of the melody - I think it would depend on what you want out of it. I say "introspective" because even in E, the aforesaid accordionist played it much like the Lúnasa version, and at most certainly no faster: in a relaxed, easy and unhurried fashion, and it was tasty - almost philosophical, for lack of a better word. No need to tear through it as if the Devil were on your tail.

Some of my favorite versions of tunes are in "non-standard" keys and settings, and I remain unabashed if nevertheless session-toxic on their account, so naturally I wouldn't trot those out at such times. For me Killarney Boys Of Pleasure must ever be a slow reel, so I wouldn't play it at sessions unless I didn't mind having it ripped out of my hands and whipped into a frenzy by the mob, bless their hearts.
You have a way with words Nano lol.
It's strange when i was only really starting to listen to sessions as a newbie i thought to myself " jaysus theres more than 2 hands playing that instrument" but now when i have learnt a bit more, embellishments and emphasis really can give peoples playing the impression that they are trying to get the song over before last orders at the bar.