Currently listening to?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Currently listening to?

Post by Nanohedron »

Gary90 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 pm It's strange when i was only really starting to listen to sessions as a newbie i thought to myself " jaysus theres more than 2 hands playing that instrument" but now when i have learnt a bit more, embellishments and emphasis really can give peoples playing the impression that they are trying to get the song over before last orders at the bar.
There are sessions, and there are sessions. The large ones seem to be all about the excitement, so you get fast playing en masse. There's a mad thrill to it, and it's catchy for both player and punter. I have stories; where I live, the Christmas sessions get titanic and often hilarious. But over time I came to favor small, intimate sessions with two or three people, because you get more nuance and a chance for beauty over merely getting through a tune; quality control, IOW. These would usually be house sessions, or if in a pub, during non-peak hours and by prior arrangement with the publican. Then you're more contributing to ambience, and not so much there as an event. I like it that way. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:21 pm Nano; you and I have stood on this corner before :) Calling it either MacLeod's Farewell or The Wedding Reel is fine by me and it is a grand tune. My understanding is that Donald Shaw composed this on the occasion of Martin MacLeod's marriage and leaving Capercaille.
Somehow I missed this post! Where did it come from? :wink:

But it's good to have the backstory. Thanks. :)
an seanduine wrote:The second tune of the youtube clip is often called Good night to your NightCap but is also known as The Drunken Police Car. I like to lean very heavily on the two long notes to give the impression of a European Distress Siren.

:) :) Bob :D
I hadn't thought of it that way before. A nice, unruly touch. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Gary90
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Post by Gary90 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:09 pm
Gary90 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 pm It's strange when i was only really starting to listen to sessions as a newbie i thought to myself " jaysus theres more than 2 hands playing that instrument" but now when i have learnt a bit more, embellishments and emphasis really can give peoples playing the impression that they are trying to get the song over before last orders at the bar.
There are sessions, and there are sessions. The large ones seem to be all about the excitement, so you get fast playing en masse. There's a mad thrill to it, and it's catchy for both player and punter. I have stories; where I live, the Christmas sessions get titanic and often hilarious. But over time I came to favor small, intimate sessions with two or three people, because you get more nuance and a chance for beauty over merely getting through a tune; quality control, IOW. These would usually be house sessions, or if in a pub, during non-peak hours and by prior arrangement with the publican. Then you're more contributing to ambience, and not so much there as an event. I like it that way. :thumbsup:
I know exactly what you mean.
Where I'm from the crowd pullers are the rebel nights and personally i dont care for that stuff now, i did years ago in my teens but not now. There are a couple of little bars in nooks of Belfast that would have trad groups during week nights which would be what id prefer, but those bars are only limited to a hand full if even. I am not in "the know" yet of who throws the sessions at houses lol but im sure i will find out.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Gary90 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:08 pm I am not in "the know" yet of who throws the sessions at houses lol but im sure i will find out.
Usually the way you find out is that you're invited. Never a bad sign.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Since you asked:
https://soundcloud.com/leo-649614027/lo ... re-is-jack
black jack kehoe in case yer wondering.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

oleorezinator wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:03 pm Since you asked:
https://soundcloud.com/leo-649614027/lo ... re-is-jack
black jack kehoe in case yer wondering.
That's pretty trippy. Star Trek Space Trad, like.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm listening to Brood X (not to be confused with Brand X).

It's hard to hear anything over the cicadas. I can hear them inside with the windows closed. I can hear them with ear cups (hearing protection) on, even with metal music playing inside the cups. I can hear them in the car, moving with the windows up, AC on and radio playing.

My daughter was 3 last time they emerged. She saw the holes they make when they emerge, and found a stick and spent hours putting holes in the ground to help the cicadas make it out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Gary90
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Post by Gary90 »

chas wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:24 pm I'm listening to Brood X (not to be confused with Brand X).

It's hard to hear anything over the cicadas. I can hear them inside with the windows closed. I can hear them with ear cups (hearing protection) on, even with metal music playing inside the cups. I can hear them in the car, moving with the windows up, AC on and radio playing.

My daughter was 3 last time they emerged. She saw the holes they make when they emerge, and found a stick and spent hours putting holes in the ground to help the cicadas make it out.
That's cool Chas. Iv never heard of them. We don't have them in the north of Ireland, I take it they are noisey. I just read that they only hatch every 17 years.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Gary90 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:51 am
chas wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:24 pm I'm listening to Brood X (not to be confused with Brand X).

That's cool Chas. Iv never heard of them. We don't have them in the north of Ireland, I take it they are noisey. I just read that they only hatch every 17 years.
While cicadas are found around the world (Ireland being one exception, apparently), the kind that chas talks about - the Periodical Cicadas - are unique to the US, and confined to the east and south. All other cicadas are what's called "annual", meaning they emerge roughly every year, but their emergings aren't synchronized like the Periodicals, so their mating numbers are far fewer in comparison; consequently, the sound effect is not even close to being as deafening as what chas is experiencing. You can hear cicadas in my locale right now, and they're just a sizzly-toned background noise that heralds summer, every summer. Makes super-hot days seem even more oppressive. But where chas lives, when the periodical cicadas emerge it's all at once in their swarming, buzzing, carpeting-every-tree gazillions, and that's why people remark on the noise. Sheer numbers; kind of like the difference between a trio and a monster session. I'm a bit too far west and north for those bugs, so I've never had the pleasure of having my ears blown out by the horde.

Needless to say, animals are chowing down while the going's good. Cicadas for human dinner has lately become a proposition, at least on paper. Stir fry's a common theme. Free protein, after all ... if we had periodicals here, I'd probably consider it. All you have to do is scoop 'em up and wait another 13-17 years.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Check this out its the dogs bollocks.
https://youtu.be/2sriHX3PbXw
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

rorybbellows wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:07 pm Check this out its the dogs bollocks.
https://youtu.be/2sriHX3PbXw
RORY
Fantastic puppetry! I hadn't known of this story before now. Some interesting theories on its origin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Pipe ... ral_causes
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

Long before I got into Irish/Scottish traditional music, Jethro Tull's 'Songs from the Wood' came out when I was a teenager in 1977. Must've listened to that LP hundreds of times. Absolutely loved it. Revisiting it now, realizing the inimitable Ian Anderson rockin' a blue-top Generation on 'The Whistler.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygYe0Y_z800
chas

Post by chas »

I've really been into Epica lately. They're a Dutch symphonic metal band. One thing that's unique about them is that they do these song cycles that go across multiple albums. In fact, there's one that goes across two bands (began with After Forever). Here's one comprising three songs from three albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUIhWfpH2w
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.