Forum icons

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Forum icons

Post by Loren »

P.S. to my last: If they have PM’s enabled.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 am
Nanohedron wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:14 pm Tell us more. There are a few pet changes I'd like to make, if the Admin team agree.
... I'm guessing that 'a few pet changes' sounds closer to the simpler end of the theming spectrum than the 'let's make it all look and behave like something completely different' end?
Pretty much, yes. I'm perfectly willing to work with this design, and just do a bit of shuffling or installation of what's missing.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Loren wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:44 am
Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am I can't find how to PM someone. Is there something I've missed?
The only way I see is to click on the person’s profile, and there’s a PM option in the contact area of the profile.
Or Private messages > New PM. Or bookmark the link for that:
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am Pretty much, yes. I'm perfectly willing to work with this design, and just do a bit of shuffling or installation of what's missing.
Have you checked to see if anything you want to do is available as options from your admin pages? If not and it's just a bit of shuffling etc., I could probably help, but not without installing phpBB on my test server and familiarising myself with its template system first. So your first choice should still be to see if you can find someone who's done this with phpBB before but, failing that, I do have some experience of this kind of thing...

PS (edit) it would also be a good time to make the site HTTPS!

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:01 pm
Loren wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:44 am
Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am I can't find how to PM someone. Is there something I've missed?
The only way I see is to click on the person’s profile, and there’s a PM option in the contact area of the profile.
Or Private messages > New PM. Or bookmark the link for that:
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose
Yeah, I've done that already. It's cumbersome. As a mod, I found the previous convenience of PMing directly from a post to be highly useful, because that setup automatically referenced the post in question in a quotebox. If I'm to refer to a post's contents now, I have to jump thru a few more hoops. Doable, but of questionable utility when you've been spoiled by the alternative.
Peter Duggan wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:17 pm Have you checked to see if anything you want to do is available as options from your admin pages?
Yes, but from what I can see those options aren't available. Ben probably knows better than I, for by default that's become his department.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:31 pm Yeah, I've done that already. It's cumbersome. As a mod, I found the previous convenience of PMing directly from a post to be highly useful, because that setup automatically referenced the post in question in a quotebox. If I'm to refer to a post's contents now, I have to jump thru a few more hoops. Doable, but of questionable utility when you've been spoiled by the alternative.
OK, understood and agreed... that was convenient and would be good to get back.

Master of nine?
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:31 pmAs a mod, I found the previous convenience of PMing directly from a post to be highly useful, because that setup automatically referenced the post in question in a quotebox. If I'm to refer to a post's contents now, I have to jump thru a few more hoops. Doable, but of questionable utility when you've been spoiled by the alternative.
On the desktop site, the user information box to the right of each post (usually) has a "Contact:" field next to a balloon with three dots in it. Click on the balloon, and you get icons for PM, e-mail, or user's website, depending on which are in the user's profile. I haven't tried it, but I will. You have to be logged in to get PM and e-mail. (When the new look first came up, you didn't have to be logged in, which bothered me.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm On the desktop site, the user information box to the right of each post (usually) has a "Contact:" field next to a balloon with three dots in it. Click on the balloon, and you get icons for PM, e-mail, or user's website, depending on which are in the user's profile. I haven't tried it, but I will.
AHA! There it is. And I'm feeling foolish, because I've looked right at it, you know. We're just going to have to help each other until everyone has a better handle on this new layout. Thanks a million, Tunborough.

I just tried the PM function, and it appears to work exactly the same as before. :thumbsup:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:39 pm
Tunborough wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm On the desktop site, the user information box to the right of each post (usually) has a "Contact:" field next to a balloon with three dots in it. Click on the balloon, and you get icons for PM, e-mail, or user's website, depending on which are in the user's profile. I haven't tried it, but I will.
AHA! There it is. And I'm feeling foolish, because I've looked right at it, you know. We're just going to have to help each other until everyone has a better handle on this new layout. Thanks a million, Tunborough.

I just tried the PM function, and it appears to work exactly the same as before. :thumbsup:
Well done Tunborough. Absolutely fantastic. I hadn't spotted it either.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ok, it’s true that I ride in on the short bus, so I’m going to need some additional assistance here because:

A. I can’t see the aforementioned link on mobile

And

B. Since the change from the old board I can’t find the option to switch from the version mobile to desktop, which IIRC was at the bottom of the old forum’s page.

Man getting old and out of touch with technology and change sucks....
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Loren wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:21 pm Ok, it’s true that I ride in on the short bus, so I’m going to need some additional assistance here because:

And

B. Since the change from the old board I can’t find the option to switch from the version mobile to desktop, which IIRC was at the bottom of the old forum’s page.
No, neither is there. Depending on your browser, it may have a switch to ask for the desktop site. Firefox on Android does, and it has the desired effect.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tunborough wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:29 pm
Loren wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:21 pm Ok, it’s true that I ride in on the short bus, so I’m going to need some additional assistance here because:

And

No, neither is there. Depending on your browser, it may have a switch to ask for the desktop site. Firefox on Android does, and it has the desired effect.
OK, thanks for confirming that, good to know I’m not completely blind yet.

I’m on mobile Safari pretty much 100% of the time, which maybe also has the option to switch to desktop, I’ll search a bit and see.