May 16, 2001

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: May 16, 2001

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:13 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 pm So does this make today's 20th anniversary celebration a sham?
As much as Lincoln & Washington's birthday celebrations.

May 16th can be the officially legislated date.
Works for me. Besides, Dale brought it up, so that's how he's looking at it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:08 am
kkrell wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:13 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 pm So does this make today's 20th anniversary celebration a sham?
As much as Lincoln & Washington's birthday celebrations.

May 16th can be the officially legislated date.
Works for me. Besides, Dale brought it up, so that's how he's looking at it.
He's obviously using his member registration date carried over to this version of the board. But it is clear that both the chiffandfipple.com website & even a forum/message board existed prior to that.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I missed it ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:02 am I missed it ...
Well, have some bubbly anyway. I'm afraid that by now "bubbly" will have become a bit of a misnomer, but the virtual ethanol's still good; no call to let that gather cobwebs. Then again, YMMV. I always was scruffy that way, although I prefer to call it "utilitarian".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm enjoying a ceremonial medlar wine in honour of the occasion.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:16 pm I'm enjoying a ceremonial medlar wine in honour of the occasion.
There you go. If I were to ask what medlar wine tastes like, I suppose you'd say, "Medlars." I've never had them, so could you describe the flavor, and is the wine's very different from the fruit eaten out of hand?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:08 pm
benhall.1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:16 pm I'm enjoying a ceremonial medlar wine in honour of the occasion.
There you go. If I were to ask what medlar wine tastes like, I suppose you'd say, "Medlars." I've never had them, so could you describe the flavor, and is the wine's very different from the fruit eaten out of hand?
A medlar is an old, traditional English fruit. Most people in the UK don't know it these days. You can eat it straight off the tree, but, to say the least, it's an acquire taste like that. However, it makes the most heavenly fruit jelly known to man. Also, judging by the wine I had last night, which is the first time I've made medlar wine, it also makes a fantastic wine. The taste of medlars is like an apple, only subtler and very subtly scented, in a tantalising, beguiling sort of way. It's a seductive sort of scent. When you try to eat the fruit straight of the tree, the colour (brown) and texture (sludge) are really offputting, but make jelly or wine with it, and all of that goes, and it is just heavenly.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Did some searching, and medlars have indeed been introduced to the States, but that would be by the enthusiast; I've never seen a medlar tree, at least that I know of. It appears that they're cold-hardy enough to be grown in Minnesota. Maybe there's a future for one in the yard; the neighbors would wonder what to make of those crazy-looking fruits.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:32 pm Did some searching, and medlars have indeed been introduced to the States, but that would be by the enthusiast; I've never seen a medlar tree, at least that I know of. It appears that they're cold-hardy enough to be grown in Minnesota. Maybe there's a future for one in the yard; the neighbors would wonder what to make of those crazy-looking fruits.
They're very, very hardy. In fact, part of the reason for their decline in the UK is that we've warmed up over the last two centuries. Get one. The tree itself looks mad, but endearing, if you know what I mean. Not overly large either, so it is manageable. I would also suggest that, once the fruit is ripe, you try one straight from the tree. If you like it, great. If, like most normal humans, you find it disgusting, well, just know that it makes the most delicious fruit jelly in the world and really very nice wine.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:50 pm If, like most normal humans, you find it disgusting ...
C'mon; you've known me long enough. Normal ... the very idea. :lol:

The fact that medlars must be bletted and have a relatively narrow window of usability seems to be one reason for their popular decline in this age of industrialized food. I've read more descriptions of the flavor, and while I confess I'm still none the wiser - there are some wildly divergent characterizations out there - I really think I would like them. You pretty much had me at "beguiling".

I take it you know of Medlar Cheese?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The Portuguese mistook loquats for medlars when they encountered them in Japan in the 1600´s. Their name for them was japanese medlar-nesperas japonicas.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:16 pm
benhall.1 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:50 pm If, like most normal humans, you find it disgusting ...
C'mon; you've known me long enough. Normal ... the very idea. :lol:

The fact that medlars must be bletted and have a relatively narrow window of usability seems to be one reason for their popular decline in this age of industrialized food. I've read more descriptions of the flavor, and while I confess I'm still none the wiser - there are some wildly divergent characterizations out there - I really think I would like them. You pretty much had me at "beguiling".

I take it you know of Medlar Cheese?
I haven't come across medlar cheese specifically, although it doesn't surprise me that you could make a fruit cheese with medlars. After all, you can make it with crabapples. By the look of it, I wouldn't bother. It doesn't have a nice enough colour. Medlar jelly ends up being a beautiful, rich red in colour, and the wine is faintly pink, like a very light coloured rosé.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I know exactly where I'd plant one. Thing is, it would be a pretty hefty investment in shipping costs, as the only sources I can find are on the West Coast, and they all say they are sold out; in some cases you get on a waiting list. I have zero belief that this is due to the medlar's popularity; rather, I take it as spin. But I've contacted a local nursery to see if they can be sourced.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:46 pm I know exactly where I'd plant one. Thing is, it would be a pretty hefty investment in shipping costs, as the only sources I can find are on the West Coast, and they all say they are sold out; in some cases you get on a waiting list. I have zero belief that this is due to the medlar's popularity; rather, I take it as spin. But I've contacted a local nursery to see if they can be sourced.
I had always wanted a medlar tree and then, about 15 years ago, Deb went on a grafting course and, not even knowing that I had always wanted one, brought back a medlar as one of the two trees she had grafted during the course! I couldn't believe it! Nether of us have ever regretted it. It's a messy tree and a slightly annoying fruit to deal with, but it s really abundant from fairly early on, and the jelly in particular is so spectacularly delicious, we wouldn't be without it. It's good with pork, but best with duck, especially rare, roast duck breast.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I figure I'd install it as a community tree. Want some medlars? Bundle up and freely pick what you need; just leave some for the rest of us. Not that I anticipate a huge surge, but I've got a restaurateur across the street, and I think he would be very interested, especially from the jelly-and-duck standpoint. He'd probably be the only proprietor in town with medlar jelly, or at least having local terroir. Seasonality's being more pursued these days, too, and medlars fill that niche.

I understand that centuries past, the done thing for the high and mighty was to have them with sherry, scooping out the flesh with a spoon. The spoon thing sounds likely for me; I'm not the kitchen god you are.