May 16, 2001

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

May 16, 2001

Post by Dale »

On May 16 of this year, this board will have operated for 20 years. Actually, it existed for maybe 2 or 3 years before that, I think, on a different software platform.
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: May 16, 2001

Post by ecadre »

There are people on this board who weren't born when it started.

PS. Thanks Dale :-)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ah the good old days........where does the time go :boggle:

Yes, I remember the previous board: My car still had stones for wheels and floorboard cutouts for my feet.

Thanks for the memories Dale. Starting C&F has been a benefit to so many over the years, we owe you a debt of gratitude. Really, thanks man.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dale wrote:On May 16 of this year, this board will have operated for 20 years. Actually, it existed for maybe 2 or 3 years before that, I think, on a different software platform.
Yeah, I remember seasoned Chiffers mentioning the previous incarnation. Didn't it have a different name, too?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nanohedron wrote:
Dale wrote:On May 16 of this year, this board will have operated for 20 years. Actually, it existed for maybe 2 or 3 years before that, I think, on a different software platform.
Yeah, I remember seasoned Chiffers mentioning the previous incarnation. Didn't it have a different name, too?
My memory ain’t what it used to be, but my recollection is that there was no name change, just a change in platforms.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I was well into my 10,000 hours by then.
It's all been downhill from there.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Dale, I'm such a late-comer.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Dale, I´m a newbe, but a very grateful newbe. Thank you!

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Loren wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:30 pm
Nanohedron wrote:
My memory ain’t what it used to be, but my recollection is that there was no name change, just a change in platforms.
My recollection as well.
At least one of those earlier platforms let you hit a button and record a clip directly into a post. I still kind of miss that feature.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Rumour has it that wee Liam has petitioned to be reinstated as the C&F mascot, at least for May 16. Image
What say ye?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

stiofan wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pmWhat say ye?
Brilliant. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

stiofan wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pm Rumour has it that wee Liam has petitioned to be reinstated as the C&F mascot, at least for May 16. Image
What say ye?
Absolutely!
I remember the image well but not the story so what's the story behind the image? Who is that kid?

The image was one of my motivators for sticking with the whistle.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

ytliek wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:43 pm
stiofan wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pm Rumour has it that wee Liam has petitioned to be reinstated as the C&F mascot, at least for May 16. Image
What say ye?
Absolutely!
I remember the image well but not the story so what's the story behind the image? Who is that kid?

The image was one of my motivators for sticking with the whistle.
Took a bit of digging, but here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Success_Kid
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

stiofan wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 am Took a bit of digging, but here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Success_Kid
The Wiki article wrote:Griner has also taken action against those that have used the image without authorization.
Damn. Obviously we've dodged that bullet. But it's safe to say that Chiffco® should no longer hope for more such grace, for while we may be obscure, we're not obscure enough. It's a shame, really; I always really liked doughty Wee Liam. He makes you want to cheer him on.
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:01 pm
stiofan wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 am Took a bit of digging, but here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Success_Kid
The Wiki article wrote:Griner has also taken action against those that have used the image without authorization.
Damn. Obviously we've dodged that bullet. But it's safe to say that Chiffco® should no longer hope for more such grace, for while we may be obscure, we're not obscure enough. It's a shame, really; I always really liked doughty Wee Liam. He makes you want to cheer him on.

Engage cloaking device, lieutenant!