Now that's what I call music!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Now that's what I call music!

Post by PB+J »

Really the US national anthem is a terrible song. It's like it was written to make singers look bad. It was supposedly kind of a drinking song in a club for young English rakes: it probably was written to make singers look bad so everyone could laugh. Whoever thought it should be the national anthem perpetuated the joke.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

PB+J wrote:It was supposedly kind of a drinking song in a club for young English rakes
To Anacreon in Heaven
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Here's the history (a bit more fleshed out):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anacreontic_Song

... and by which I have learned a new word: Contrafactum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrafactum
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

oleorezinator wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:This vocal artiste is quite obviously
an improvisational jazz singer of the highest order
demonstrating the subtleties of moving the tonal center around.
Here’s two of my favorite examples of that art.
http://wfte.org/Irish/out.mp3
Bloody hilarious. You can smell the reek of booze. :lol:
Thank you kindly! I consider this to be the definitive version of the tune.
Ummm... What tune is it?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:Ummm... What tune is it?
Just in case you're serious, it's *supposed* to be Wipe Out, first recorded in 1962 by The Surfaris. It was a one-hit wonder that became something of a musical icon in the States, at least. Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

I believe that oleorezinator's version is favored by Beelzebub.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Nanohedron wrote:
Tunborough wrote:Ummm... What tune is it?
Just in case you're serious, it's *supposed* to be Wipe Out, first recorded in 1962 by The Surfaris. It was a one-hit wonder that became something of a musical icon in the States, at least.
Yes, I was serious, and thank you. Bits of it were vaguely familiar, but I never would have figured it out.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:Bits of it were vaguely familiar, but I never would have figured it out.
It's somehow comforting to me to know that our shared border isn't an entirely permeable membrane, culturally; in the States, Wipe Out is practically a force of nature. Obviously Canada has other fish to fry, and that's as it should be. :)

Wipe Out has become an article of American kitsch, pure and simple. Like The Star Spangled Banner you don't hear it every day, but even though it's dated as hell, it's still evergreen and always peeking around the corner, part of the definitive US soundscape. When you hear Wipe Out, you think "party" in the sense of being joyously unbridled to the point of tipping into outrage. It's a great soundtrack for surfing (of course, for that is the culture it came from), pet antics, tiki lounges, and monster trucks. Like that. If it's lively or outlandish, it fits. As such, it's also ripe for potential irony: crocheting, say - or as an extreme example, oleorezinator's version: torture by making an unholy hash of a pillar of pop culture. A US audience will have been scarred for life, and they will remember it with a very pained fondness.
john

Post by john »

It sounded like she couldn't stay in one key. Perhaps some backing music would have tethered her to the correct pitch.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

john wrote:Perhaps some backing music would have tethered her to the correct pitch.
Perhaps; depends on how used she is to singing accompanied. In one project where I primarily played backup, the singer had previously only ever sung solo a capella, and on our very first introductory practice run, the backup - UP drones, in this instance - provided no tethering! I would have thought that you don't get any more tetherworthy than drones, but I sure found out differently. It was almost as if I wasn't even there. The singer's wayward pitch wasn't nearly as bad as in the OP, but it was bad enough, thank you. Of course I had to put my foot down, firstly and most obviously for the sake of euphony without which the project was doomed, and secondly for the singer's benefit in learning that a good singer sings with their ears on. Fortunately, in this case the vital lesson took only a few minutes and not too much need for practice. You could say both our eyes were opened.