I enjoyed this

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

I enjoyed this

Post by PB+J »

I had no idea this instrument existed, but I think he pulls it off very well

https://twitter.com/i/status/1355880232071409668

I don't know if it will be visible--he's playing "bucks of oranmore" on a Hulusi, an Ethnic Chinese Instrument
Mr.Gumby

Re: I enjoyed this

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That was nice. Just shows you the instrument doesn't matter as much as the person driving it.

You may have seen this but there is a guy from Cork who plays lovely traditional music on the Khaen/ Khene. He used to come to town a bit and play in the street. It was always very interesting he attracted the 'old guys' with his music, Gussie Russell was mesmerised and could listen to him for long spells.

Gold Ring on Khaen, Bird in the Bush and Craig's pipes
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

That's marvelous!

here's a better link to his youtube channel

https://youtu.be/F05R3yTNcXc
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Fun. I've seen a hulusi before but never heard one played.

Kind of enjoyed the khaen links, too. Can't say I've ever enjoyed the sound of khaen particularly, but in this case it was kind of fun.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Excellent stuff! Are the other tubes drones, should he want to use them?
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Apparently they are drones, but he's not droning
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Excellent playing on the Hulusi! Pretty Cheeky, too. In the Chinese he emphasizes that he is convinced the gourd top was grown in Ireland. :D.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi